Incredible Craving for Fatty Red Meat

julcreutz

I find myself craving fatty, red meat all day long. I eat pounds of it over the days. I average at least at least 2-3 pounds a day, and it's taking a toll on my bills. I try to get the highest quality meat I can get, which is usually imported grass-fed lamb and mutton.

I'm about 178cm, about 70kg and am weightlifting about 3-4 times a week. Total calories should be well above what I *should* eat (acording to TDEE calculators), yet I'm not gaining any fat mass. I'm making serious gains and I am getting leaner.

I do eat carbs, especially when I workout.
My energy is good and consistent, no crashes. No disregulated blood sugar symptoms, sleep is fine too.

Often times, after eating 300g or so of red meat and some carbs, I'm still craving meat like crazy and have another 300g or so. It's like this craving deep within me, and I cannot seem to satisfy it.

I also eat organs for nutrients.

What's wrong? Or is this just my body calling for calories?

EDIT: I do seem to get cold between meals too fast for my liking, but it's also pretty cold right now here in Germany. I'm usually pretty warm for a good few hours after a meal and waking temp is also fine.

Cloudhands

It may be an underlying craving for salt, i have the same craving but its moreso just a strong savory craving, potato chips sound good whenever red meat sounds good, as does anything else salty

julcreutz

It may be an underlying craving for salt, i have the same craving but its moreso just a strong savory craving, potato chips sound good whenever red meat sounds good, as does anything else salty
I don't know. I use plenty of salt and I'm very well hydrated most of the time.

Blossom

I feel better than ever eating fatty red meat nearly everyday for the last 20 months. There’s something special about lamb and beef that feels energizing and strengthening for my body. It also digest better than any other food for me.

GelatinGoblin

I feel better than ever eating fatty red meat nearly everyday for the last 20 months. There’s something special about lamb and beef that feels energizing and strengthening for my body. It also digest better than any other food for me.
Sam here

julcreutz

Absolutely! But not, when I eat *only* meat. Very strange.

qwazy

At that amount of protein you will most likely run on glucose. That also means you are using the very ineffective gluconeogenesis to derive the glucose from fat and protein. That is why you have to eat a ton.

Atma

It could just be because that's what you're mostly eating already, so when your body needs more food it craves more of the same.

I know when I ate mostly meat that's all I felt like eating and didn't have the taste for anything else.

It could also be because you need some nutrient which red meat has a lot of.

tenningosui

Try eating it raw. I could easily kick back 500 plus grams of meat in a sitting of its salted and cooked a bit. It’s pretty boring to eat raw muscle meat but try it out and you’ll see what I mean. It’s satiating. I do crave saltiness depending on my liquid consumption.

julcreutz

At that amount of protein you will most likely run on glucose. That also means you are using the very ineffective gluconeogenesis to derive the glucose from fat and protein. That is why you have to eat a ton.

Yeah, but that's not a bad thing. I was doing a very high fat ketogenic diet for almost a year, and had less energy despite eating well above maintanence calories and adequate protein.

It could just be because that's what you're mostly eating already, so when your body needs more food it craves more of the same.

I know when I ate mostly meat that's all I felt like eating and didn't have the taste for anything else.

It could also be because you need some nutrient which red meat has a lot of.

That's a good point, actually.

Try eating it raw. I could easily kick back 500 plus grams of meat in a sitting of its salted and cooked a bit. It’s pretty boring to eat raw muscle meat but try it out and you’ll see what I mean. It’s satiating. I do crave saltiness depending on my liquid consumption.

I can't do it. Tried it in the past, I always have to gag no matter how I prepare it. And I want to at least somehow enjoy what I'm eating, you know...

Hans

I find myself craving fatty, red meat all day long. I eat pounds of it over the days. I average at least at least 2-3 pounds a day, and it's taking a toll on my bills. I try to get the highest quality meat I can get, which is usually imported grass-fed lamb and mutton.

I'm about 178cm, about 70kg and am weightlifting about 3-4 times a week. Total calories should be well above what I *should* eat (acording to TDEE calculators), yet I'm not gaining any fat mass. I'm making serious gains and I am getting leaner.

My energy is good and consistent, no crashes. No disregulated blood sugar symptoms, sleep is fine too.

Often times, after eating 300g or so of red meat and some carbs, I'm still craving meat like crazy and have another 300g or so. It's like this craving deep within me, and I cannot seem to satisfy it.

EDIT: I do seem to get cold between meals too fast for my liking, but it's also pretty cold right now here in Germany. I'm usually pretty warm for a good few hours after a meal and waking temp is also fine.
There is nothing wrong with your body. Just listen to it. It's rewarding you for being obedient. :) It could be that the saturated fat is helping to sustain your blood sugar and promoting thermogenesis as of other things.

julcreutz

There is nothing wrong with your body. Just listen to it. It's rewarding you for being obedient. :) It could be that the saturated fat is helping to sustain your blood sugar and promoting thermogenesis as of other things.

Gotcha! Thanks Hans. I always worry too much about these things.

jet9

Might be to do with the weather, I always crave fatty red meat in winter.
Also when I go a bit lower on carbs cravings increase too.

by the way did you find carb source that you tolerate well? I remember your posts on sweet potatoes / honey / dairy.

tenningosui

Yeah, but that's not a bad thing. I was doing a very high fat ketogenic diet for almost a year, and had less energy despite eating well above maintanence calories and adequate protein.

That's a good point, actually.

I can't do it. Tried it in the past, I always have to gag no matter how I prepare it. And I want to at least somehow enjoy what I'm eating, you know...

Yeah I understand the enjoyment factor. But I don’t see how it makes you gag if you already eat it blue! If is that bad and you’ve tried it all then yeah, not worth it. Maybe you’re just killing it at the gym and actually need the protein and calories.

David90

I would also just listen to your Body and eat the Fatty Red Meat. It could also indirectly mean, that you are craving Saturated Fat, Zinc or Copper (maybe because of a Deficiency?)