In Defense of Starch - TCM and eating many cold/damp foods (fruit/milk) seems to be anti-metabolic ?

mamakitty

So you didn't mean a toxic soul sucking job... but you critizise Danny for having created his own way of living that fits him perfectly. Interesting.

Look, don't try to fool us. You literally said not being a father and having a "low ambition job" is reprehensible. It is just a few posts up. I am wondering what your "ambitious" definition is. And of course being single is reprehensible also. Read your own post. It is authoritarian mindset, sorry.
Sure dude “anyone who doesn’t agree with me is an authoritarian” blah blah
You can twist my words as you like but I have not equated ambition with high power job, that’s your own mind’s creation. And yes, people who produce nothing, create nothing, take no responsibility, and are only preoccupied by how to live stress free, are reprehensible.
You can try to play all the mental gymnastics you want but reality won’t bend to your wishful thinking. Sorry.

mamakitty

I find it disturbing, that people still feel obliged to tell others on how one should live.

So, I guess Ray Peat is also a child for not taking responsibility for a big family, Appartement on Wall Street and a great corporate career?

That said, here is a great quote from Brad Blanton:

The best people in a dying culture are the outcasts considered crazy by the leaders; the ones most disillusioned with their own culture. In Yeats' phrase, "the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Intense emotional attachment to any value, any virtue, any set of "shoulds" is a disease, a mental illness, a condition of self-murder and cultural assassination.
Ray has created a lot and helped a lot of people. He is a net positive.

Is thou shalt not kill a mental disease to you. You are just ridiculous with your retarded whatsboutism.

清貴杉山

i personally have super high energy demandance and i do both,liter of milk and oj a day plus masa harina and rice flour arepas,i cant get by just with sugars,i start to feel horrible super low everything

K

Kayaker

I find it disturbing, that people still feel obliged to tell others on how one should live.

So, I guess Ray Peat is also a child for not taking responsibility for a big family, Appartement on Wall Street and a great corporate career?

That said, here is a great quote from Brad Blanton:

The best people in a dying culture are the outcasts considered crazy by the leaders; the ones most disillusioned with their own culture. In Yeats' phrase, "the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Intense emotional attachment to any value, any virtue, any set of "shoulds" is a disease, a mental illness, a condition of self-murder and cultural assassination.
This argument is reductionist. Sure, when you're motivated toward promoting an idea, you have less room for learning more about the idea and other ideas.

Simple ideas don't require much learning. Complex ideas won't become mainstream because they are too hard to understand for most people. Peat's writings take years to understand and people make many mistakes in interpreting them. They are apparently not intended to change anything politically, merely to promote the reader's ability to think, through both the actual reading, and better health.

Waynish

Stop going off topic and wasting everyone's time who is on this thread for its title & topic. Happy to help with TCM-related stuff, but annoying getting notifications from low quality commenters.

LUH 3417

I have noticed the months I eat mostly fruit/milk/cheese/OJ, first half of my cycle goes pretty smoothly, I ovulate with lots of cervical mucous and feel like my progesterone is increasing, but then the last few day’s of my cycle I have estrogenic symptoms to the max: water retention, bloating, crying, allergies, depression (all symptoms of cold or damp excess in TCM). In TCM excess cold is related to estrogen, and I’ve read recommendations to exercise and eat according to the cycle, with more grounding or heavy “Qi building” foods during bleeding and leading up to ovulation, and then going to saltier, even spicier “Qi moving” foods, more vegetables and increased physical activity on days 16-28.

Razvan

I don't believe in this, starches tank my androgens and fruit does the opposite. When i play basketball or football after eating fruits i have more explosive energy and more brain focus to play well. If i play these sports loaded with starch i'm heavier and focus,reflexes go down,i feel like a stone on the pitch. Also when eating starch i don't have the dopamine to go out and do stuff,i prefer to isolate myself. Fruits again,the opposite.
For me and from my experience starch is poison.

changeling188

my body hair grows quite rapidly if i consume a lot of milk and my muscle tone increases overnight. it doesn't promote a prepubescent look as far as i can tell, and in children its dietary function seems to be to promote growth (of skin, muscle, bone, hair).

If you don't like milk and low starch as an adult, then don't eat it. works for some, doesn't work for others. if you can't digest milk properly after months of trying, it might not be a viable food in your diet. really doesn't need to be more complicated than your own subjective experimentation with it or need to be incorporated into generalisations about the 'dampness' of milk or how it makes you look pre-pubescent.

Jam

I eat high starch / high dairy in the winter like a bonafide Irishman (or French, Swiss, or other (sub-)Alpine inhabitant), keeps me energized and warm. I replace most of the starch with fruit during the hottest summer months, though.

Waynish

I have noticed the months I eat mostly fruit/milk/cheese/OJ, first half of my cycle goes pretty smoothly, I ovulate with lots of cervical mucous and feel like my progesterone is increasing, but then the last few day’s of my cycle I have estrogenic symptoms to the max: water retention, bloating, crying, allergies, depression (all symptoms of cold or damp excess in TCM). In TCM excess cold is related to estrogen, and I’ve read recommendations to exercise and eat according to the cycle, with more grounding or heavy “Qi building” foods during bleeding and leading up to ovulation, and then going to saltier, even spicier “Qi moving” foods, more vegetables and increased physical activity on days 16-28.
There is no mapping between single supposed molecules & TCM. TCM does not take the "this molecule is good and that one is bad" approach.

LUH 3417

There is no mapping between single supposed molecules & TCM. TCM does not take the "this molecule is good and that one is bad" approach.
This idea was something I learned from an acupuncturist, and I never stated any one molecule is good or bad. I was illustrating the metaphor of cold and it’s relation to estrogen excess. In Chinese medicine it’s more about the excess or deficiency of something rather than the thing itself. But thanks for maintaining ideology patrol.

YourUniverse

I was spinning my wheels for months on low-medium energy (fruits, milk, cheeses general diet), decided to quickly google ayurvedic food combination guides and a bit of TCM. Was an interesting bit of something to keep in mind, I forget specifics now but I do remember most of Ray's recommendations were either "damp" or "yin" or did not combine well with other foods. It was interesting that "damp" foods needed combining, or balancing, with "dry" foods, which tended to be grains or salt, or "hot" foods, which tended to be meats and spices, although milk specifically was best alone. Salt is a weird pairing with liquids, like milk, but is standard with cheese. Since incorporating some wheat toast, I do feel better. Maybe more "balanced", not sure.

Some of my takeaways were that, generally, milk does not combine well with anything, except dates. Unfortunately, dates promote bruxism for me, probably feeding intestinal bacteria. I believe Ray has said dates promote serotonin, maybe for this reason.

Milk is apparently also a terrible combination with bananas. This might explain Ray's comments on bananas also increasing serotonin - something about both of milk and bananas using up a lot of digestive juice, and combined really deplete the system. Maybe for people who do not consume as much dairy, bananas are fine. Maybe if the bananas are cooked and thus require less digestion, they are fine (these are a few things I thought about).

BlahtyBlah

I personally think cold milk shouldn't be compared to warm or hot milk as a 'dampening' food. I find warm/heated milk very warming, actually. If I add some warming spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, I find that the warming effects are even greater. Also if one salts their warm milk. Keep in mind that in nature you would not drink milk very cold, unless you're in a very cold climate, perhaps. But even then thats only if you didn't drink the milk right away. For the most part, milk comes out of warm blooded mammals....warm, not cold. And if we drink it fresh, it usually would be warm, not cold. I think most people probably drink milk the wrong way. That said, I handle cold milk fine, and think it has it's place in hot weather. I have a pretty fast metabolism so perhaps it doesn't bother me for that reason.

Yonebayashian

I’m very curious and playful, and very neotenous too. However, my metabolism is anything but high like a child :(

Anyway, I doubt a neotenous boyish look is attractive for a man. Most women find mature looking chiseled men hot, not boys.
I think in general they want a maximally neotenous while chiseled mature look- look at most male celebrities- leaning in preference towards neotenous over chiseled when young and then towards chiseled as they get older.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals