Does the temperature of our food and drink significantly influence body temperature?

BigShoes

I have been struggling to raise my temperatures into the desired ranges. Core body temperature is usually only slightly below, but I frequently have very cold hands and feet (stress metabolism?).

It occurred to me today, I drink a lot of Juice / Cola straight out the fridge (I sometimes even put a cola in the freezer too, for a refreshing super cold chill). And occasional ice cream too. I also eat raw / uncooked beef quite frequently - I usually eat it straight from the vacuum-sealed pack straight out of the fridge. My fruit is usually refrigerated too (grapes).

I rarely, if ever, drink hot drinks - no tea, no coffee, no bone broth. I've never enjoyed them / always burned my mouth / concerned with staining.

The only time I typically have hot food is cooked starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.) and a gravy - I will usually cook the meat with these meals too.

Forgetting about thyroid function for a second, could my cold foods diet be causing reductions in body temperature or affecting hands and feet? Has anyone had any experience with this / experimented with this?

I suspect the answer may be: "an individual with a healthy metabolism should not have a problem with cold or hot food - it does not make a difference." But for the stressed 32 year old man who has been noticing the beginning symptoms of reduced metabolism, and living under a quite high stress environment: could cold foods have further negative impacts on core temperature or temperature of the extremities?

Thanks all.

I have been struggling to raise my temperatures into the desired ranges. Core body temperature is usually only slightly below, but I frequently have very cold hands and feet (stress metabolism?).

It occurred to me today, I drink a lot of Juice / Cola straight out the fridge (I sometimes even put a cola in the freezer too, for a refreshing super cold chill). And occasional ice cream too. I also eat raw / uncooked beef quite frequently - I usually eat it straight from the vacuum-sealed pack straight out of the fridge. My fruit is usually refrigerated too (grapes).

I rarely, if ever, drink hot drinks - no tea, no coffee, no bone broth. I've never enjoyed them / always burned my mouth / concerned with staining.

The only time I typically have hot food is cooked starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.) and a gravy - I will usually cook the meat with these meals too.

Forgetting about thyroid function for a second, could my cold foods diet be causing reductions in body temperature or affecting hands and feet? Has anyone had any experience with this / experimented with this?

I suspect the answer may be: "an individual with a healthy metabolism should not have a problem with cold or hot food - it does not make a difference." But for the stressed 32 year old man who has been noticing the beginning symptoms of reduced metabolism, and living under a quite high stress environment: could cold foods have further negative impacts on core temperature or temperature of the extremities?

Thanks all.
Sure. Drinking cold drinks will make you colder and drinking hot drinks will make you warmer. Even if your metabolism is good. Why else do we drink hot drinks when we’ve been out in the cold for a while? It warms you up.

OP
BigShoes

BigShoes

Sure. Drinking cold drinks will make you colder and drinking hot drinks will make you warmer. Even if your metabolism is good. Why else do we drink hot drinks when we’ve been out in the cold for a while? It warms you up.
Haha I know it sounds like a stupid question, and your answer seems so obvious. But it's only just now hit me that a quart of juice, only a few degrees above freezing, probably isn't doing any favours for my core temperature...

I have been wondering for ages why my hands are freezing by mid-morning - I'm sure the cold OJ and gelatin for breakfast are not doing me any favours in that regard.

Would it therefore be recommended to consume as much of our food and drink as we can from room temperature (or warmer)?

I just thought it was peculiar that OJ, Ice Cream, Cola and Fresh Fruit are so highly recommended, but I've never seen anyone discussing the temperature of said foods.

Haha I know it sounds like a stupid question, and your answer seems so obvious. But it's only just now hit me that a quart of juice, only a few degrees above freezing, probably isn't doing any favours for my core temperature...

I have been wondering for ages why my hands are freezing by mid-morning - I'm sure the cold OJ and gelatin for breakfast are not doing me any favours in that regard.

Would it therefore be recommended to consume as much of our food and drink as we can from room temperature (or warmer)?

I just thought it was peculiar that OJ, Ice Cream, Cola and Fresh Fruit are so highly recommended, but I've never seen anyone discussing the temperature of said foods.
No, not a stupid question. But if your goal is to raise your temperature, eating warmer foods seems like the better choice. And eating enough food. Undereating will always lead to lower temperatures. This is probably why ice cream is not as appealing in winter as it is in the summer…..usually.

Cow

Cold foods make me feel super cold. Especially fluids. Even if my temps are normal. I have actually given up ice altogether, and drink my water tepid now. I also take any serving of fruit I want to eat out of the frig an hour before so it will not be ice cold, and pour my glass of milk or OJ ahead of time too, to let it warm up. It's pain in the arse, but it helps.

PS. I still usually eat some ice cream after dinner. But I let it get melty first, and I've already had a warm meal, so while it does make me feel cold, I warm back up very quickly.

EvanHinkle

This was a big aha for me about 6 months ago, and I swapped to drinking all my milk hot with honey. I usually have three 16oz glasses a day, (more if I feel stressed) and nothing, not even thyroid has ever given me the consistency in body temps.

VonKeister

When i'm not hypothyroid i can drink cold liquids all day long, in cold weather and still feel warm. And when im not , even hot chocolate or chicken soup won't keep me warm for longer than an hour after consumption.
Of course, sress will still reduce the temperature of my extremities (especially feet) no matter how well i am, but with an ok thyroid it's usually not that intense/noticeable and recovery is very quick.
Maybe check your salt and calicum intake, and vitamin D status.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals