[Discussion] Raising Body Temperature

Lol what the hell is tricky about that?

Depleats glycine via formation of hippuric acid. High levels of hippuric acid could cause kidney overload. Compromised kidney function could lead to hippuric acid overaccumulation which in turn could cause futher kidney function deteoration. As far as I understand it.

magnesiumania

Well that sounds scary but how likly is that to happen unless you have a very comprimised kidney?

That's why I said tricky. I believe currently there is no way to calculate and precisely predict long term consequences of high dose benzoate intake. There are too many metabolic pathways involved.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Ive got some sodium benzoate but its for preservation of jam etc and instructions tell me to add 40g to 0,5 liter boiling water....how much do you take of this and does it have to be added to hot water?
In smaller amounts it appear to uncouple and in larger amounts it loses that effect. As as long as you take 15mg or less at a time, then it should promote uncoupling.

So if you add 100g to 1l water and take 30ml at a time, you should get about 3mg per dose. I don't think the water has to boil, but just see if it dissolves with cold water or not.

magnesiumania

In smaller amounts it appear to uncouple and in larger amounts it loses that effect. As as long as you take 15mg or less at a time, then it should promote uncoupling.

So if you add 100g to 1l water and take 30ml at a time, you should get about 3mg per dose. I don't think the water has to boil, but just see if it dissolves with cold water or not.

Ok, thanks. Could you explain what uncoupling implies? It does dissolve....first dose i felt a little better and felt like my sleep improved but next day i just felt more off than usual.

If we add 100 g to 1l of water we get 100 mg per 1 ml. 30ml dose you suggested gives 300 mg which is far higher then uncoupling dose.

Theoretical uncoupling dose of benzoic acid is in range of few hundred micrograms. As far as I understand. I think the right dilution is 1g per 1l. Gives 1 mg per 1 ml. One ml is about 20 drops. One drop of this solution contents 50 mcg. Seems to me 10 drops is a good starting point and thermometer is a must to find your own uncoupling dose. This calculation is valid for pure benzoic acid and not a sodium benzoate. Should be recalculated for sodium benzoate according to molar mass. And as far as I get it sodium benzoate does not uncouple. It has something to do with cell membrane permeability.

It's quite easy to convert sodium benzoate to benzoic acid. YouTube has some videos. Kitchen chemistry. Muriatic/ hydrochloric acid needed.

GreekDemiGod

Right now, hot showers are the best thing to raise my body temperature. I take one upon rising which boosts my temperature from my rising temperature of 97.7 F to 98.3-98.6 F. Then I take one 1.5 hours before bed (usually at 9 PM).
Same here. Hot showers are, at this moment, the single sure-fire measure to boost my temp by 0.5. I will wake up with 36.0 C, hop into the shower for 10-15m. When I'm out, my temp has increased to 36.5

milkboi

Same here. Hot showers are, at this moment, the single sure-fire measure to boost my temp by 0.5. I will wake up with 36.0 C, hop into the shower for 10-15m. When I'm out, my temp has increased to 36.5

Cool but I‘m not sure this is a sign of increased metabolism (could be tho through lowered adrenaline maybe). Ray Peat once said something along the lines that a dead body could have very high body temperature if you heat up the surrounding room enough, so body temps can‘t be used to reliably measure metabolic rate.

milkboi

@milkboi Yes, the real challenge is having a high wake-up temperature, without external interventions.

Yeah generally agree, but at least interventions like coffee, food, thyroid supplements etc. raise the rate at which your body internally produces heat, a hot shower just warms you up from the outside the same way it would do to a dead cadaver.

GreekDemiGod

@milkboi My impression was that external heat source will warm up the body for a while, during which the energy required to keep the body warm reduces, and other bodily functions can ramp up.

golder

Any info about uncoupling effect of sodium benzoate/benzoic acid? I didnt know it is an uncoupler. I use it to lower ammonia. Seem to lift the brain fog.
Thanks for this. Any idea what a good dosage for sodium benzoate is? (forgive my naivete, is benzoic acid the same thing?)

Amazoniac

Heavier clothing is the safest and easiest thing to implement for someone who's struggling to maintain normal body temperature in conditions that are already favorable, it's precious energy being conserved:

- Energy efficient living – INTEWON Physiology and behaviour : the elastic thermal comfort zone and the need for categorization

upload_2020-7-9_10-7-16.png

- Warming the mouse to model human diseases

upload_2020-7-9_10-7-45.png
upload_2020-7-9_10-8-28.png

Last edited:

milkboi

Heavier clothing is the safest and easiest thing to implement for someone who's struggling to maintain normal body temperature in conditions that are already favorable, it's precious energy being conserved:

- Energy efficient living – INTEWON Physiology and behaviour : the elastic thermal comfort zone and the need for categorization

- Warming the mouse to model human diseases

What‘s harmful about a „wasteful metabolism“ [Peat, 2002] which burns energy through uncoupling?

Amazoniac

What‘s harmful about a „wasteful metabolism“ [Peat, 2002] which burns energy through uncoupling?
someone who's struggling to maintain normal body temperature in conditions that are already favorable
The person can't afford becoming a heater for the environment, shielding from this parasite is advisable.

The most effective out of anything IMO is heavily salted starch with saturated fats. I have gotten close to 102F doing this. I tend to not recommend it too much though because I basically go hyperthyroid and then crash. It is possibly a good suggestion for someone especially hypothyroid though.

Exercise does boost body temperature but care must be taken as its super easy to over-do it, and if you do you'll drop body temperature later.

Salted fruit seems pretty effective most of the time for me.

I do use hot liquids sometimes to give me a boost in temp when I need it. Usually its temporary but sometimes its all I need to get my temp up to 98.6 and then I can follow it up with other methods to keep it there. I find hot drinks in the morning highly effective, along with some salt.

I find hot baths are more effective than hot showers to warm up. RP has spoken favorably of warm baths saying it is like thyroid for inducing good sleep, so I like to take warm Epsom salt baths before bed if I have the time for it.

I also like to run the heater high in my house especially during the winter.

Bundling up clothing helps.

Yes, coconut oil and MCT oil are excellent at raising temps.

I use a high power 300W lamp for heat sometimes too. Sun is excellent as you note.
Potatoe wedges in butter or coconut oil with salt always raise my temp like nothing else

aniciete

I think movement is very key to have a healthy body temperature. Days when I sit around inside and use my computer I am in a much lower energy state and my temp is much less stable. On days when I am standing, moving, and consuming natural light my temperature is incredibly consistent where I don’t need to eat every 3 hours to feel something. I believe many around here fail because they try to brute force a sedentary lifestyle whilst also chugging liquids like milk and oj. Eating 3-4 square meals of well cooked starch and fat and working an interactive job has benefitted me the most out of all the advice I have consumed on here.

I have to say, more than anything I’ve determined is, my increased grassmilk drinking is what has given me consistently raised temperatures.

Edit: and I either have the milk with chocolate syrup or in a fruit smoothie. The combo seems to work.

Last edited: