Do Beverage Temperatures Matter?

natedawggh

I went to a spa the other day and alternated between the hot rooms and cold rooms. It was rough going at first sitting in the steam, but eventually my body acclimated and I was there for a few hours. All the rest of the day my body felt great and my toes and fingers were bright pink and the blood was flowing well (as a side note, I saw in practice the point Ray makes about protein functioning differently at higher temperatures in a cell. This happens to my hands and feet after a spa trip).

Later that night I had a cold coke (mexican coke), and within about an hour my cosy extremities were again stiff and turning pale. It seems to be one of the last vestiges of illness I have left, that my extremities don't keep up with my core temperature. But it got me wondering if I was sabotaging my efforts to restore my health every time I had a cold soda or cold glass of milk? Today I heated milk before drinking it, and I didn't specifically notice any increase in temperature but I also don't feel like it's dropping. Does anyone have any insight or sources on how the temperature of beverages effects physiology and what should be done either way?

emmanceb

I notice sometimes I can handle them (cold liquids) and sometimes it just feels sort of wrong as it goes down, and my digestion gets screwed, I imagine an immediate change in temperature to cells that can't take the hit triggers stress hormones, pre-existing gut inflammation probably adding to the susceptibility

I asked Ray about it once and he didn't object to the theory, but in his typical stance didn't say much about it, just to definitely avoid discomfort to the intestines

tara

I don't like really cold drink. I can sip room temps, and prefer warmer.
I imagine that a large cold drink mass near the core would cool the core quickly, and the normal response of the thermostat to that would be to reduce blood flow to the extremities to retain heat to bring the core back up to it's set point again.
I imagine sensitivity may depends on how robust our whole system is, and quickly it can summon the energy to warm up our core up again?

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

tara said:
I don't like really cold drink. I can sip room temps, and prefer warmer.
I imagine that a large cold drink mass near the core would cool the core quickly, and the normal response of the thermostat to that would be to reduce blood flow to the extremities to retain heat to bring the core back up to it's set point again.
I imagine sensitivity may depends on how robust our whole system is, and quickly it can summon the energy to warm up our core up again?

Oh yeah that's brilliant Tara, you're totally right. I've been drinking warm drinks the last few days and I've avoided that particular sensation of losing heat from my extremities.

Xisca

Even for water, I tend to like drinking it warm instead of room temperature! I guess I need to help my body because I always feel cold. Even if I am thirsty, I'd rather not drink than drink cold...

Philomath

natedawggh said:
I went to a spa the other day and alternated between the hot rooms and cold rooms. It was rough going at first sitting in the steam, but eventually my body acclimated and I was there for a few hours. All the rest of the day my body felt great and my toes and fingers were bright pink and the blood was flowing well (as a side note, I saw in practice the point Ray makes about protein functioning differently at higher temperatures in a cell. This happens to my hands and feet after a spa trip).

Later that night I had a cold coke (mexican coke), and within about an hour my cosy extremities were again stiff and turning pale. It seems to be one of the last vestiges of illness I have left, that my extremities don't keep up with my core temperature. But it got me wondering if I was sabotaging my efforts to restore my health every time I had a cold soda or cold glass of milk? Today I heated milk before drinking it, and I didn't specifically notice any increase in temperature but I also don't feel like it's dropping. Does anyone have any insight or sources on how the temperature of beverages effects physiology and what should be done either way?

Enzymes are known which suddenly become inactive when the temperature is lowered beyond a certain point. This is because soluble proteins arrange their shape so that their hydrophobic regions, the parts with fat-like side-chains on the amino acids, are inside, with the parts of the chain with water-soluble amino acids arranged to be on the outside, in contact with the water. The "wetness" of water, its activity that tends to exclude the oily parts of the protein molecule, decreases as the temperature decreases, and some proteins are destabilized when the relatively hydrophobic group is no longer repelled by the surrounding cooler water.

RP- Phosphate, Activation and Aging

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Philomath said:
natedawggh said:

Enzymes are known which suddenly become inactive when the temperature is lowered beyond a certain point. This is because soluble proteins arrange their shape so that their hydrophobic regions, the parts with fat-like side-chains on the amino acids, are inside, with the parts of the chain with water-soluble amino acids arranged to be on the outside, in contact with the water. The "wetness" of water, its activity that tends to exclude the oily parts of the protein molecule, decreases as the temperature decreases, and some proteins are destabilized when the relatively hydrophobic group is no longer repelled by the surrounding cooler water.

RP- Phosphate, Activation and Aging

Yes! That was the part I was thinking of. Thanks.

Philomath

Another angle:
An Aryuvedic take on cold drinks...consider that a vata dosha is likely a hypothyroid state.

Warm, Nourishing Foods: Balancing Vata Dosha

Every season is associated with a dosha in ayurveda — spring with Kapha, summer with Pitta and fall and winter with Vata. Each of these doshas has a tendency to increase within the physiology during its season. Thus, the heat of summer tends to aggravate the Pitta in us, while a dry, cold and windy winter tends to increase Vata.

These seasonal fluctuations of the doshas within us can be balanced by eating appropriately for the season. Desh (place) and kala (time) are important considerations in choosing what you eat. If you reflect, some of these choices come naturally to most of us — we head for cool beverages on a hot day and yearn to wrap our fingers around a steaming mug of soup on a chilly evening.

Vata dosha is composed of the air and space elements, and it governs all movement in the body. According to The Council of Maharishi Ayurveda Physicians, Vata is the dominant seasonal dosha from mid-October to mid-February. Even for those with less Vata in our makeup, it is important to take steps to keep Vata in balance during this time because of its seasonal influence.

Signs of an aggravated Vata include:
- Worried
- Tired, yet can't relax, Fatigue, poor stamina
- Nervous, Can't concentrate
- Anxious, fearful
- Agitated mind
- Impatient, Antsy or hyperactive
- Spaced out
- Self-defeating
- Shy, insecure, Restless
- Cannot make decisions
- Weight loss, under weight
- Insomnia; wake up at night and can't go back to sleep
- Generalized aches, sharp pains, Arthritis, stiff and painful joints
- Agitated movement
- Very sensitive to cold
- Nail biting
- Rough, flaky skin, Chapped lips
- Fainting spells
- Heart palpitations
- Constipation, Intestinal bloating, gas, Belching, hiccups
- Dry, sore throat, Dry eyes

Eating to balance Vata

"Warm" and "cooked" are key factors in the Vata-pacifying diet. Nourishing soups and stews, hot cereals, hearty grains, wholesome beverages and heavy desserts like rich rice pudding all feel welcome on cold winter days.

To keep Vata in balance, favor the sweet, sour and salty tastes and avoid bitter, pungent and astringent foods. All dairy products, for example, pacify Vata. Always boil milk before you drink it, and drink it warm, with a pinch of cardamom or dry ginger in it. Sweet lassi is an excellent lunchtime beverage. Favor sweet, sour, heavy fruits, such as oranges, bananas, avocados, grapes, cherries, peaches, melons, berries, plums, pineapples, mangos and papayas. Vegetables should be eaten cooked; reduce raw salads. Beets, carrots, asparagus and sweet potatoes are good choices. In moderate quantities, the following vegetables are also fine, especially if they are cooked with ghee or oil and Vata-reducing spices: peas, green leafy vegetables (chopped small, with thick fibrous parts discarded), broccoli, cauliflower, celery, zucchini and potatoes.

Vata-pacifying spices include cardamom, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves, mustard seed and black pepper in moderation. Organic Vata Churna from Maharishi Ayurveda is a convenient, ready-to-use Vata spice mix. The Council of Maharishi Ayurveda Physicians advises cooking with it rather than sprinkling it on prepared foods as the preferred way of assimilating the benefits of the spices.

Favor foods that are liquid rather than dry, and warm rather than cold. Drink lots of warm water and sip 2-3 cups of Organic Vata Tea during the day.
-----------------------------------------------------
This is what I found on an aryuvedic health site. I don't necessarily recommend it, however I find it very ironic that the symptoms are similar to those with hypothyroidism. I also find it interesting that the "cures" are very similar to Peat fixes. I plan on earing to correct a Vata imbalance, within a Peat framework, to see if it helps me.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

So I do think that these ideas are good, but I noticed something else that I think my specific issues were coming from and posted about it here: I think the specific reactions I was having are being caused by chlorinated water (hence the drop in temps after a warm spa trip) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7115&p=87908#p87908

tara

Could be, chlorine is horrible. No problem with drinking cold juice or milk?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals