Milk, OJ, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt..... Does Temperature of these foods matter?

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

I've been trying to keep some drinks warmer recently, like storing soda at room temperature. I tried heating up some milk before bed last night (just like for kids!), and seemed to feel better than when drinking colder beverages before bed. Although, this morning trying to warm up juice, I cracked a glass.

I think I found the solution to this.

I'm using Mason jars now, and they were made to withstand high heat. Obviously, you wouldn't want to pour boiling water in one that was store in the freezer, but it can probably handle the changes in heat better than a normal glass.

I also think I had the heat on the stove too high. It was at 7 for the one I cracked. I've been using 4 with mason jars, and no issues yet (though I've only done it three times).

JohnA

I used to heat up Haagen Daaz ice cream to make a warm milkshake, but realized I was just paying for an ice cream making process that I wasn't getting any value out of. So now I try to replicate the nutritional profile of ice cream by blending and warming milk, eggs, and a sugar (usually maple syrup or honey).

Uwe's book is good. I also really liked Why the Chinese Don't Count Calories: Clissold, Lorraine: 9781472127662: Amazon.com:
In modern Western society we quite happily put substances into our body at temperatures that our exteriors cannot tolerate. There is no place in the Chinese diet for iced drinks or frozen delicacies or for piping hot meals and beverages. There are no microwaves or hot plates to reheat food or keep it bubbling. Wok-fried or simmered dishes are placed on the table and gradually shared among the diners. By the time a small piece of food has been selected with a pair of chopsticks it is never too hot for the mouth or tongue, and so will not cause any damage to the body’s equilibrium.
Not all cooling foods work gently to restore the balance in the body. In fact many need to be treated with caution as they worsen the situation. As much as you may crave them after a rich meal, the worst thing you can do is bombard a hot stomach with ice cold drinks or ice-cream. These unnaturally cold foods will only cause further damage to the affected organs and the whole body.

I also like this quote from a random internet article I found once: nwasianweekly.com/2018/04/blog-hot-water-vs-coffee-and-tea-why-hot-and-not-cold-water/
In Chinese culture, eating cold things is not suitable for mothers in the first two months after giving birth, even in the hot summer. Why we adopt certain practices in our culture?

I honestly just microwave all the juice and milk I drink, but I'm guessing the microwave is a big no no for you :oops:

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

I honestly just microwave all the juice and milk I drink, but I'm guessing the microwave is a big no no for you :oops:

I use the microwave rarely. Like a few times a year, to boil water Not totally opposed to it, but I'd rather use other methods, if possible. I've also got uneven heating when it comes to liquid.

Yep, Dairy at room temperature for me plus warm/hot milk for drinks, definitely feel 'off' with straight out of the fridge consumption.

Last edited:

Mauritio

Tagging @Mauritio, think you might be interested in this thread, and the ones I linked at the top.
Funny enough I started drinking tea yesterday (chamomile) again , the whole day I didnt feel well , and that was the turnaround. I remember I specifically craved a warm liquid !

I think you're on to something . From a metabolic standpoint it totally makes sense. Since the body needs to waste less energy to keep body temperature high ,because of all the liquids that cool him down .

Also in TCM I think , first thing in the morning they recommend to drink a glass of warm water on an empty stomach.

A few years ago , I have tried to warm my water for some time and I always found it easier to "integrate" into my system.

Last edited:

Mauritio

In TCM theres also yang and ying foods ,meaning hot and cold foods ,meaning some food are meant to increase your body temperature if you're low in it .

Attachments

• 1608456700440.png
    1608456700440.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 65

reaching

There could be a lot of context here. If you are young and/or healthy, temperature might not matter much.

Summer, cold foods might be fine regardless.

Winter, maybe not so much.

right.

It’s all relative. Cold in the stomach doesn’t feel good though.

Khaled MK

Milk has lots of water which happens to be a strong conductor of infrared light(heat), so depending on its temperature relative to you, it can either give you or take heat off of you. Cold milk is probably comparable to muscle meats in the sense that it has been stripped off of a main balancing component/nutrient and could potentially throw your own metabolic balance off IF youre not already in a good place before consuming it.

GelatinGoblin

I've been thinking more about overall Body Temperature recently, which made Peat's recent newsletter especially timely.

It's gotten me wondering more and more..... could some of the problems people have with the foods mentioned in the title be due to the fact they are mostly eaten cold? Usually, straight out of the fridge? I know Peat has suggested that hypothyroid people can't handle liquids well. Is part of the issue so many liquids are drunk cold?

I know Matt Stone made this point (or something similar) in "Eat for Heat." There is also a German author, Uwe Karstädt, who warned of this problem, specifiically mentioning cold beer-

Youtube can auto generate English subtitles, FYI.

Could temperature be a reason for "Beer Belly?" And why there isn't the term "Red Wine Belly?"

I've been trying to keep some drinks warmer recently, like storing soda at room temperature. I tried heating up some milk before bed last night (just like for kids!), and seemed to feel better than when drinking colder beverages before bed. Although, this morning trying to warm up juice, I cracked a glass.

Anyone have any useful tips, tricks or gadgets to quickly warm up milk and OJ? I've seen beverage warmers, but don't know if they would work.

An Infrared Warmer would be fantastic, if it worked.