Pre-diabetic Symptoms Since Increasing Caloric Intake

blackkzeus

I've been somewhat peating and eating at least 2700 calories a day for almost two weeks now and Since the past 4 days I've been having pre-diabetic symptoms. My diet basically consists of a lot of white rice, chicken, eggs, ice cream, fruit ( apples, oranges, grapes), soda, fruit juice, honey, sometimes cheese. I don't drink milk because it gives me acne and I barely eat fruit besides grapes because I'm sensitive to it and get an itchy face and acne from it as well. The sensitivity to fruit and dairy developed a couple years ago Out of nowhere ( digestive issues from leaky gut maybe ?) anyway, pre-diabetic symptoms include waking up in the middle of the night thirsty and hungry and hot and not being able to go back to sleep after eating/ drinking and blurred vision and dry eyes after eating some foods like rice and ice cream. What to do?

DaveFoster

Biotin? Niacinamide? Famotidine? Caffeine? Aspirin? Thyroid? Cyproheptadine? Pregnenolone? DHEA?

Maybe you should get a glucometer to rule out the possibility that it's something much worse.

Xisca

From my experience, I had to regulate 1 thing: try nnot to eat too much at a time. I try to eat more often but not too much, or else i go from hyper to hypo...

What is your height and weight? It's usually a sign of being overweight and metabolic syndrome. I don't think rice and ice cream mix. It will cause blood glucose to stay high. I cured this by lowering fat intake while still eating rice.

Peater Piper

Maybe you should get a glucometer to rule out the possibility that it's something much worse.
I agree with this, although the numbers won't be as useful without some pre-diet baseline numbers (you could measure high, but you may have had high numbers before Peating), but I've found trying to diagnose my glucose numbers from how I feel a useless endeavor. The ReliOn Prime from WalMart has the least expensive strips I'm aware of, and I think it's accurate enough to let you know if you should be worried or not.

WestCoaster

If you are consuming a lot of white rice, fruits, juices, soda, and honey, your insulin is probably yo-yo'ing like mad which is going to cause some level of insulin resistance. The only way you're going to stop that is stop consuming the foods for the most part that cause your insulin to spike constantly.

You have to remember, a perfect diet should not contain any supplements; if you're consuming a diet that will need supplements to compliment it or stop any problems, you're probably consuming the wrong diet.

If you are consuming a lot of white rice, fruits, juices, soda, and honey, your insulin is probably yo-yo'ing like mad which is going to cause some level of insulin resistance. The only way you're going to stop that is stop consuming the foods for the most part that cause your insulin to spike constantly.

You have to remember, a perfect diet should not contain any supplements; if you're consuming a diet that will need supplements to compliment it or stop any problems, you're probably consuming the wrong diet.

People always mention the insulin effect of starch and sugar but always ignore the insulin effect of protein:

"If protein is eaten without carbohydrate, it will stimulate insulin secretion, lowering blood sugar and activating the stress response, leading to the secretion of adrenalin, cortisol, growth hormone, prolactin, and other hormones. The adrenalin will mobilize glycogen from the liver, and (along with other hormones) will mobilize fatty acids, mainly from fat cells. Cortisol will activate the conversion of protein to amino acids, and then to fat and sugar, for use as energy.”-RP

Insulin release is also stimulated by amino acids such as leucine, and insulin stimulates cells to absorb amino acids and to synthesize proteins. Since insulin lowers blood sugar as it disposes of amino acids, eating a large amount of protein without carbohydrate can cause a sharp decrease in blood sugar. This leads to the release of adrenalin and cortisol, which raise the blood sugar. Adrenalin causes fatty acids to be drawn into the blood from fat stores, especially if the liver’s glycogen stores are depleted, and cortisol causes tissue protein to be broken down into amino acids, some of which are used in place of carbohydrate. Unsaturated fatty acids, adrenaline, and cortisol cause insulin resistance.”-RP

The insulin response by the pancreas is a normal, physiological and biochemical reaction to amino acids and disaccharides/polysaccharides that pass by the beta cells of the pancreas. It's purpose is to transport them to their appropriate places around the body. They can't get to where they need to go to without insulin. That's why type one diabetics must inject insulin, everyday, multiple times a day for their whole life. Glycogen can not be stored without insulin and amino acids can not be moved around without insulin. The ingestion of protein causes the body to release insulin, in order to direct the amino acids toward muscle tissue, the brain and other organs. But this also removes glucose from the bloodstream. To counteract this effect, the body releases stress hormones that mobilize glycogen from the liver. Eating carbohydrates with the protein will minimize this effect.

The "glyciymic index" is another big misunderstanding health/nutriton. Your blood glucose is supposed to rise after eating. That is the whole point of eating; low blood glucose. High fat diets in combination with having excess body fat result in excess free fatty acids and intramyocellular lipids which block glucose from being transported properly resulting in high blood glucose. Blood glucose is supposed to rise and then go down the the right level when it’s being used properly. Starch and sugar aren't the problem.

OP
B

blackkzeus

What is your height and weight? It's usually a sign of being overweight and metabolic syndrome. I don't think rice and ice cream mix. It will cause blood glucose to stay high. I cured this by lowering fat intake while still eating rice.

I'm 5'11 and like 165 lbs. so I'm not close to being overweight.
People always mention the insulin effect of starch and sugar but always ignore the insulin effect of protein:

"If protein is eaten without carbohydrate, it will stimulate insulin secretion, lowering blood sugar and activating the stress response, leading to the secretion of adrenalin, cortisol, growth hormone, prolactin, and other hormones. The adrenalin will mobilize glycogen from the liver, and (along with other hormones) will mobilize fatty acids, mainly from fat cells. Cortisol will activate the conversion of protein to amino acids, and then to fat and sugar, for use as energy.”-RP

Insulin release is also stimulated by amino acids such as leucine, and insulin stimulates cells to absorb amino acids and to synthesize proteins. Since insulin lowers blood sugar as it disposes of amino acids, eating a large amount of protein without carbohydrate can cause a sharp decrease in blood sugar. This leads to the release of adrenalin and cortisol, which raise the blood sugar. Adrenalin causes fatty acids to be drawn into the blood from fat stores, especially if the liver’s glycogen stores are depleted, and cortisol causes tissue protein to be broken down into amino acids, some of which are used in place of carbohydrate. Unsaturated fatty acids, adrenaline, and cortisol cause insulin resistance.”-RP

The insulin response by the pancreas is a normal, physiological and biochemical reaction to amino acids and disaccharides/polysaccharides that pass by the beta cells of the pancreas. It's purpose is to transport them to their appropriate places around the body. They can't get to where they need to go to without insulin. That's why type one diabetics must inject insulin, everyday, multiple times a day for their whole life. Glycogen can not be stored without insulin and amino acids can not be moved around without insulin. The ingestion of protein causes the body to release insulin, in order to direct the amino acids toward muscle tissue, the brain and other organs. But this also removes glucose from the bloodstream. To counteract this effect, the body releases stress hormones that mobilize glycogen from the liver. Eating carbohydrates with the protein will minimize this effect.

The "glyciymic index" is another big misunderstanding health/nutriton. Your blood glucose is supposed to rise after eating. That is the whole point of eating; low blood glucose. High fat diets in combination with having excess body fat result in excess free fatty acids and intramyocellular lipids which block glucose from being transported properly resulting in high blood glucose. Blood glucose is supposed to rise and then go down the the right level when it’s being used properly. Starch and sugar aren't the problem.

I'm not eating protein without carbohydrates nor is my diet high in fat.

I'm 5'11 and like 165 lbs. so I'm not close to being overweight.

Well depending on how much muscle you have, 165 at that height is leaning toward the heavier side. If we were to round up to 170 and assume you have more fat than muscle then that could be too much for you and give you blood glucose issues. But if you don't have blood glucose issues then your symptoms are not related to type two diabetes. If you're thirsty then your dehydrated. I use raisins and dates or plain sucrose when I wake up to help go back to sleep, but since lowering my fat intake I don't need to much anymore.

I think you need more fiber since you don't eat fruit. Try the daily carrot and try cooked mushroom or bamboos shoots, or cooked greens too.

tara

I like the idea of checking your blood glucose, if that's practical for you, so you can confirm or deny some of your hunches about what's happening. (Or possibly monitoring urine brix with a refractometer as a less invasive method of monitoring sugars - RBTI - Reams - mineral deficiency.)

If your hunch is right, and you have been getting a bit hyperglycemic, I wonder whether much of your carbs are relatively mineral-poor, since you say you're not eating much much milk or fruit, and you might therefore be running a bit low on some of the minerals - eg potassium, magnesium - that are useful for metabolising carbohydrates well? Also need a good supply of B-vits to use them well. You could use cronometer or similar to get a rough idea of micronutrient intake, if you haven't assessed this recently.
Liver can be a good source of b-vits. Potatoes provide more potassium than rice.

If you are considering changes, I'd vote for starting out experimenting with:
adding a little liver
leaf broth
seeing if there are higher potassium foods that are OK for you
niacinamide in small frequent doses second.
Peat has mentioned that diabetes is one of the few (only?) things he has recommended brewers yeast extract for (extract in hot water, discard sediment).

a perfect diet should not contain any supplements
A perfect diet is difficult to obtain for many of us - soils are widely depleted of minerals, cost-cutting measures by major food suppliers, living far from tropical fruit growing regions, etc.

tara

... and
Waking up hungry and thirsty could be a sign of blood sugar dysregulation, but could also be signs of a rising metabolism that is burning through the fuel faster than you are used to ad evaporating water faster too.

OP
B

blackkzeus

Well depending on how much muscle you have, 165 at that height is leaning toward the heavier side. If we were to round up to 170 and assume you have more fat than muscle then that could be too much for you and give you blood glucose issues. But if you don't have blood glucose issues then your symptoms are not related to type two diabetes. If you're thirsty then your dehydrated. I use raisins and dates or plain sucrose when I wake up to help go back to sleep, but since lowering my fat intake I don't need to much anymore.

People actually consider me skinny. Im no where near overweight.

Many people have different views on what is skinny and fat. But I don't think they know what they are talking about. And one can also be "skinny fat," where one's arms and legs are lean but they have a gut. The gut full of fat is actually what causes pre-diabetic symptoms most of the time. If you don't have a gut then you should get your vitamin D levels and other things checked.

OP
B

blackkzeus

I like the idea of checking your blood glucose, if that's practical for you, so you can confirm or deny some of your hunches about what's happening. (Or possibly monitoring urine brix with a refractometer as a less invasive method of monitoring sugars - RBTI - Reams - mineral deficiency.)

If your hunch is right, and you have been getting a bit hyperglycemic, I wonder whether much of your carbs are relatively mineral-poor, since you say you're not eating much much milk or fruit, and you might therefore be running a bit low on some of the minerals - eg potassium, magnesium - that are useful for metabolising carbohydrates well? Also need a good supply of B-vits to use them well. You could use cronometer or similar to get a rough idea of micronutrient intake, if you haven't assessed this recently.
Liver can be a good source of b-vits. Potatoes provide more potassium than rice.

If you are considering changes, I'd vote for starting out experimenting with:
adding a little liver
leaf broth
seeing if there are higher potassium foods that are OK for you
niacinamide in small frequent doses second.
Peat has mentioned that diabetes is one of the few (only?) things he has recommended brewers yeast extract for (extract in hot water, discard sediment).

A perfect diet is difficult to obtain for many of us - soils are widely depleted of minerals, cost-cutting measures by major food suppliers, living far from tropical fruit growing regions, etc.
Thank you. Will try uour recommendations.

tara

...and another thought ...
There might be soething to be learned /gained by considering timing, too.
Personally, I feel as though I make better use of more carbs from morning till early afternoon, and don't handle large quantities as well lter in the day. I gather I'm not the only one. Some people do better with small frequent feeds, some seem to be OK with fewer larger ones - probably related to how well/much you can store glycogen.

pepsi

Yea thats a fine weight for a tall person. I'm 5'10.5 and fluctuate around 150-155 and people tell me I should gain weight. I just look thin cause I'm tall, but I don't consider myself thin, just normal.

OP
B

blackkzeus

I stopped these symptoms by going back to my old diet but anyone have any idea why those symptoms occurred on a Peaty diet?

tara

I stopped these symptoms by going back to my old diet but anyone have any idea why those symptoms occurred on a Peaty diet?
Did you run your typical/average diet through cronometer to see what you were getting by way of micronutrients? I think last you were posting it may have been long on cabs and short on minerals?

OP
B

blackkzeus

I don't think so. I ate a diet very similar to people on here who never experienced the symptoms I did.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals