Coming From Low-Carb. Pre-Diabetic. Blood Sugar Regulation

Pennikins

I've done an extensive search throughout the Peat Forum and could not find if anyone practicing the Peat way that are Type 2 diabetics.

If there are, would you please come forward?

I would like to know:

What you are eating?
How often you are eating?
Supplements you take?

Do you also have Hypothyroidism?
Adrenal Fatigue or other adrenal issues?

I was diagnoses in 2001 as being pre-diabetic. At that time I was overweight so I went low carb. Yeah, I lost weight (70lbs over 2 years), got my A1C in the 5.1 range BUT my hypothyroid symptoms became worse. All Thyroid tests were always normal (yeah right - dumb tests - I knew differently).

Over the next few years energy getting lower (still low carbing) and body temp getting colder (very intolerant of cold).

Got sick and tired and searched for help. Online I found an old codger MD that said I needed to supplement with Vit C, Vit D and Magnesium and iodine & L-Tyrosine & B6 (these last 3 are taken on empty stomach first thing in AM so as to not compete with other protein sources). Do Earthing. Avoid PUFA's and eat coconut oil and butter (Had been doing that for quite a few years since being diagnosed pre-diabetic.)

Well, low and behold those started to help warm me up. Went from the high 96's to low 97's in about 1 1/2 years. Problem was - still not warm, no warm feet or warm hands. And gaining weight even though cutting back on carbs further and eating every 4 hours to help reduce BG levels. Finally found articles about adrenal fatigue. More reading, tons of reading over the past 5 years.

Found Matt Stone - increased salt, reduced water, and eating more carbs - finally getting warm. It's been a year now and I'm warm! :) Temps continue to be in the 98.0 range in AM and warmer after I eat. :D In fact most days I'm 98.6 to 99.3 - unless I don't eat enough sugar and salt - then it goes down. Oh and my Hair is all coming back. My head, my brows and my arms (yep they were hairless -just my arms).

Problem - my morning BG . :cry: When I started increasing the carbs I noticed my morning BG started to increase. And of course continued to gain weight. :cry: During the day my BG has not been below 100 but usually within 3 hours of eating is down to 110-115.

I'm slowly weaning into the Peat eating. ;) After not drinking milk nor orange juice in years didn't want to shock the system.

I need to supplement with Thiamin - was using benfentomine but see that is not suggested here on this forum. And I haven't seen much results with that form of thiamin so will try the hydrochloride form.

Any suggestions folks? You all have been Peating for a while. I feel I have my Thyroid and Adrenal problems are well on the road to healing. But I know I still have a ways to go.

Let me know if you have more questions.
~Penny

OP
P

Pennikins

I see it's been a week since I posted, lots of readers, but obviously no one is a Type 2 diabetic. :(

Ahem, sigh, guess "Peating" doesn't work for Type 2 diabetics. :cry:

So far, I have not seen any good results either. :cry:

3 weeks in and no sign of improvement.

In fact, my BG levels have gotten even worse, not acceptable, don't need more damage done.

I'll do, as I have with other suggestions found on various 'WOE' and WOL (ways of living). Take away what does seem reasonable and leave the rest behind.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still considered Pre-diabetic (according to HbA1C tests) but getting closer to not being able to reverse this will soon lead me to full blown Type 2 diabetes. I'm nearly 14 years of being pre-diabetic and looking for the 'missing' pieces to stop the progression. I've come a long way in those 14 years at improving my health. But as most of you, I want to have better health.

I'll check back occasionally to see if there are others that are Type 2 Diabetics and what, if anything, they have been able to use from the "Peat" way.

~Penny

kiran

A lot of times, high morning BG is caused by inadequate liver glycogen storage, which in turn can be caused by hypothyroid. Are you getting enough carbs at night?

What is your diet like currently?

There can be many reasons why your sugar level is elevated, so it's hard to tell you what to do.
Allergies as well as other forms of inflammation and stress can increase blood sugar.

You might also want to talk to this person perhaps: http://sanscarbs.wordpress.com/2014/01/ ... -ray-peat/

burtlancast

I've noticed that you still experience low thyroid symptoms; Broda Barnes explained a great % of the population are inherently hypothyroid, and will need thyroid supplementation until the day they die.

As far as your fears of becoming diabetic, why don't you give the Gerson therapy a try ?

The cure for type 2 diabetes requires only 2 months , as opposed to 18 months for cancer.

Kray

Pennikins said:
I've done an extensive search throughout the Peat Forum and could not find if anyone practicing the Peat way that are Type 2 diabetics.

If there are, would you please come forward?

I would like to know:

What you are eating?
How often you are eating?
Supplements you take?

Do you also have Hypothyroidism?
Adrenal Fatigue or other adrenal issues?

I was diagnoses in 2001 as being pre-diabetic. At that time I was overweight so I went low carb. Yeah, I lost weight (70lbs over 2 years), got my A1C in the 5.1 range BUT my hypothyroid symptoms became worse. All Thyroid tests were always normal (yeah right - dumb tests - I knew differently).

Over the next few years energy getting lower (still low carbing) and body temp getting colder (very intolerant of cold).

Got sick and tired and searched for help. Online I found an old codger MD that said I needed to supplement with Vit C, Vit D and Magnesium and iodine & L-Tyrosine & B6 (these last 3 are taken on empty stomach first thing in AM so as to not compete with other protein sources). Do Earthing. Avoid PUFA's and eat coconut oil and butter (Had been doing that for quite a few years since being diagnosed pre-diabetic.)

Well, low and behold those started to help warm me up. Went from the high 96's to low 97's in about 1 1/2 years. Problem was - still not warm, no warm feet or warm hands. And gaining weight even though cutting back on carbs further and eating every 4 hours to help reduce BG levels. Finally found articles about adrenal fatigue. More reading, tons of reading over the past 5 years.

Found Matt Stone - increased salt, reduced water, and eating more carbs - finally getting warm. It's been a year now and I'm warm! :) Temps continue to be in the 98.0 range in AM and warmer after I eat. :D In fact most days I'm 98.6 to 99.3 - unless I don't eat enough sugar and salt - then it goes down. Oh and my Hair is all coming back. My head, my brows and my arms (yep they were hairless -just my arms).

Problem - my morning BG . :cry: When I started increasing the carbs I noticed my morning BG started to increase. And of course continued to gain weight. :cry: During the day my BG has not been below 100 but usually within 3 hours of eating is down to 110-115.

I'm slowly weaning into the Peat eating. ;) After not drinking milk nor orange juice in years didn't want to shock the system.

I need to supplement with Thiamin - was using benfentomine but see that is not suggested here on this forum. And I haven't seen much results with that form of thiamin so will try the hydrochloride form.

Any suggestions folks? You all have been Peating for a while. I feel I have my Thyroid and Adrenal problems are well on the road to healing. But I know I still have a ways to go.

Let me know if you have more questions.
~Penny

Penny,

Found this last week when I was looking for a good B supplement. Be sure to read the comments following the article. Don't know if this might apply to your diabetic condition to be potential benefit. I found it an interesting article nonetheless.

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2013/0 ... ers-yeast/

Lanie

kiran said:
You might also want to talk to this person perhaps: http://sanscarbs.wordpress.com/2014/01/ ... -ray-peat/

Hey - that's my blog. :) I registered here so I could post just to say that.

Yeah, I've been doing some self-experimentation using a Peat-y plan. I'm definitely hyperglycemic. The only thing keeping me from an official diagnosis of type-2 diabetes is that that I don't go to doctors anymore unless I'm bleeding profusely or otherwise in need of acute care.

I'm currently on Day 3 of my high-sugar-low-fat diabetes experiment. I did a preliminary experiment that lasted 2 weeks with some promising results that suggest Peat's thoughts on the Randle Cyle are applicable to us, in that fat in the diet may be mucking up our glucose metabolism. Yes, even saturated fat. Here's my first (short) experiment:

http://sanscarbs.wordpress.com/2014/03/ ... ek-review/

I'm in the process of doing a longer one - 3 weeks or more - to determine the effects of low fat intake on blood sugar.

Please feel free to follow along!

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lanie said:
kiran said:

Hey - that's my blog. :) I registered here so I could post just to say that.

Yeah, I've been doing some self-experimentation using a Peat-y plan. I'm definitely hyperglycemic. The only thing keeping me from an official diagnosis of type-2 diabetes is that that I don't go to doctors anymore unless I'm bleeding profusely or otherwise in need of acute care.

I'm currently on Day 3 of my high-sugar-low-fat diabetes experiment. I did a preliminary experiment that lasted 2 weeks with some promising results that suggest Peat's thoughts on the Randle Cyle are applicable to us, in that fat in the diet may be mucking up our glucose metabolism. Yes, even saturated fat. Here's my first (short) experiment:

http://sanscarbs.wordpress.com/2014/03/ ... ek-review/

I'm in the process of doing a longer one - 3 weeks or more - to determine the effects of low fat intake on blood sugar.

Please feel free to follow along!

Ray has written in some of his articles that about 80% of the glucose disposal and usage so that it does not cause hyperglycemia is due NOT to insulin but to potassium. Just go to his site and search it for "potassium". In my case, I was in ketosis for a long time due to doing Paleo and when I initially switched to Peat diet my BG were quite high. A mix of orange juice and coconut water (both really high in potassium and containing mostly fructose as sugar) quickly brought my blood sugar under control. Try it out, maybe 8-10 oz at a time (especially in the morning), and report back after a week.

Lanie

haidut said:
Ray has written in some of his articles that about 80% of the glucose disposal and usage so that it does not cause hyperglycemia is due NOT to insulin but to potassium. Just go to his site and search it for "potassium". In my case, I was in ketosis for a long time due to doing Paleo and when I initially switched to Peat diet my BG were quite high. A mix of orange juice and coconut water (both really high in potassium and containing mostly fructose as sugar) quickly brought my blood sugar under control. Try it out, maybe 8-10 oz at a time (especially in the morning), and report back after a week.

As soon as I read this I ran out to get coconut water. Will experiment over the next few days and report back.

Mittir

haidut said:
Ray has written in some of his articles that about 80% of the glucose disposal and usage so that it does not cause hyperglycemia is due NOT to insulin but to potassium.

Here is the RP quote on insulin and potassium's role in managing blood sugar.

Insulin is important in the regulation of blood sugar, but its importance has been exaggerated because of the diabetes/insulin industry. Insulin itself has been found to account for only about 8% of the "insulin-like activity" of the blood, with potassium being probably the largest factor. There probably isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar.http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml

BingDing

This thread about Ray Peat WOE on a low carber forum is really long but IIRC some of the more active posters were type II diabetics. I didn't get past about page 45.