What To Do For Allergies When Nothing Else Is Working?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No.

Kray

gretchen said:
You could always try homeopathy. I'm having interesting effects with a remedy for depression; it's as good or better than any pharmaceutical I tried with no side effects. You could search for something on abc homeopathy (there's a remedy finder), or type yourself and take a few doses of that:
http://www.homeopathyandmore.com/forum/ ... lt&src=100

Thanks, Gretchen. Lots of homeopathy. It's basically kept our 4 kids out of the doctor's office almost 30 years. For something like chronic rashes, it's more constitutional which takes time. Peating seemed a more sensible approach for starters, but I'm getting warmed up to a good homeopathic follow-up!

OP
I

ilovethesea

classicallady said:
ilovethesea said:
classicallady said:
The cascara I've been using is this one: http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Casca ... =null&ic=6

It does have silica in it, but it hasn't given me any problems. I take 1-2 per night with a full glass of water about 1 hr before bed. I haven't been able to find where to buy those brands mentioned by Peat and others. Hope this helps.

Are you worried about the silica? viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1299

"…people taking supplements should be very careful to avoid anything with particles such as titanium dioxide or silica. […] And those things getting into the bloodstream trigger the stress hormones, and obesity is the least of the things they contribute to." - RP

I wonder if that would outweigh the benefits of the cascara. Have you noticed it made a big difference?

Sorry-- I just saw your entry! Thanks for the good tip on silica. I can't say if silica has affected me or not, but it is a good caution. Have you found a brand without it that you could share, or anyone else here on the thread? Many thanks-

Oh no, I just realized my Benadryl has titanium dioxide! So when RP recommends it, I wonder does he know this? This is for the Liqui Gels (caplets are worse). I hope this doesn't matter too much...

Medicinal ingredients:
Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 25 mg
Non-medicinal ingredients:
Gelatin
Glycerin
Polyethylene glycol
Sorbitol
Titanium dioxide

Or maybe I should switch to the Benadryl liquid... except it has dyes and artificial flavours in it! Ugh, which is worse?! Why is everything contaminated??

Non-medicinal ingredients:
Alcohol
Cinnamon
FD&C Red No. 2
Flavours (orange, clove, coriander, cinnamon, anethole)
Sugar
Water

Also feel free to message me for the safe cascara source (in Italy).

OP
I

ilovethesea

Peata said:
Saw this in another thread:

Vinero wrote:It seems that a thiamine deficiency, also known as vitamin B1, can have some undesirable consequences such as:
-Increased histamine levels: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01997372
-Low body temperature: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2090843

Haidut already posted studies about how thiamine can cure Crohn's/IBS, MS fatigue, and Alzheimers in massive doses ranging from 500mg-1500mg every 4 hours. The sufferers in the studies weren't deficient in thiamine according to bloodtests, yet benefited from supplementation.
The standards for adequate thiamine are simply too low; or the body has trouble getting thiamine into the cells despite normal blood levels.
So, if your still having low temperatures, stomach problems, and excess histamine despite doing everything right, you might have a mild thiamine deficiency going on. Especially if you are eating a lot of white sugar, caffeine, aspirin, etc which stimulate metabolism deepening the thiamine deficiency.

Interesting thanks! I could have that - I eat a lot of white sugar now. Never used to drink coffee, now I drink it for 'health reasons'.

How do you increase your B1?? It looks like all the foods are beans and vegetables :(

OP
I

ilovethesea

paper_clips43 said:
Yes I am interesting in the tablets. Are you interested in the liquid? I am placing an order with Farmicia Del Neno sometime next week probably.

Do you happen to know what the ingredients are in the liquid? I just wrote another post on that! I got the pharmacy to special order me the liquid and it finally arrived except the ingredients look crappy (dyes, flavour, etc). I'm wondering if the Mexican version is any better? I would love to do a trade :)

paper_clips43

AFAIK the only ingredients in the Mexican version is sugar, water, and Cypro.
Ok I can let you know as soon as I order another bottle. Kinda busy lately though should be soon.

Peata

ilovethesea said:
Peata said:

Vinero wrote:It seems that a thiamine deficiency, also known as vitamin B1, can have some undesirable consequences such as:
-Increased histamine levels: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01997372

Haidut already posted studies about how thiamine can cure Crohn's/IBS, MS fatigue, and Alzheimers in massive doses ranging from 500mg-1500mg every 4 hours. The sufferers in the studies weren't deficient in thiamine according to bloodtests, yet benefited from supplementation.
The standards for adequate thiamine are simply too low; or the body has trouble getting thiamine into the cells despite normal blood levels.
So, if your still having low temperatures, stomach problems, and excess histamine despite doing everything right, you might have a mild thiamine deficiency going on. Especially if you are eating a lot of white sugar, caffeine, aspirin, etc which stimulate metabolism deepening the thiamine deficiency.

Interesting thanks! I could have that - I eat a lot of white sugar now. Never used to drink coffee, now I drink it for 'health reasons'.

How do you increase your B1?? It looks like all the foods are beans and vegetables :(

I was taking quite a bit of B1 since the late summer since I found it helped me stay focused and motivated to complete tasks. Besides diet, I was taking 250 - 500 mg. sometimes more. I slacked off recently. Not sure if that's why I'm not getting anything much accomplished or just an excuse. But I started back in today, taking 1,500 mg.

Kray

ilovethesea said:
Peata said:

@ilovethesea:

I believe you are in Canada? Do you have Targets there or close enough to the US border to one? I just found a good substitute for Benadryl brand in Target's Children's Liquid Dye-Free Antihistamine. So far I don't have any issues with it. I use it almost daily. btw- did you try upping B1? I've just ordered Haidut's Energin (key Bs) so I'll hope to see some benefits with B1. I have some other but it's got the fillers and I am trying to stay clear of them. :) C-lady

Peata said:
I was taking quite a bit of B1 since the late summer since I found it helped me stay focused and motivated to complete tasks. Besides diet, I was taking 250 - 500 mg. sometimes more. I slacked off recently. Not sure if that's why I'm not getting anything much accomplished or just an excuse. But I started back in today, taking 1,500 mg.

Hey Peata, how's it going with the B1 dosing? I am considering larger doses based on my gut issues, which I now believe are definitely histamine related. Antihistamines are great, but they are way too drying on my nose and eyes and I would rather tackle this from a food and supplement standpoint and use the least amount of drugs possible....so any news?

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:

Hey Peata, how's it going with the B1 dosing? I am considering larger doses based on my gut issues, which I now believe are definitely histamine related. Antihistamines are great, but they are way too drying on my nose and eyes and I would rather tackle this from a food and supplement standpoint and use the least amount of drugs possible....so any news?

I take at least 500 mg. per day besides what I get from food, but I still have issues with allergies. Some days I don't notice anything, others it seems like I'm sneezing and scratching my face up.

I wish I had something good to report on allergy treatment.

Nabati

After three months of applying some of Peat's ideas last year, my chronically runny nose and itchy eyes ceased to be a problem after years of trouble. For a long time I thought I had a chronic sinus infection. The one bizarre connection I made (whether true or not) was that the more water I drank while Peating, the more my runny nose returned. This still seems true for me up to present.

tara

Nabati said:
After three months of applying some of Peat's ideas last year, my chronically runny nose and itchy eyes ceased to be a problem after years of trouble. For a long time I thought I had a chronic sinus infection. The one bizarre connection I made (whether true or not) was that the more water I drank while Peating, the more my runny nose returned. This still seems true for me up to present.

Nice. :) The water connection doesn't seem bizarre to me.

I kept waiting all spring and summer for seasonal allergies to hit me this year, and they didn't. Much reduced morningitis, too.

Peata

Nabati said:

Which of his specific ideas did you apply that helped your allergies?

I was doing well on that front for a good while but lately they are bothering me again -itchy nose and eyes, sneezing. Particularly at night and in the a.m.

Stuart

Peata said:
I was doing well on that front for a good while but lately they are bothering me again -itchy nose and eyes, sneezing. Particularly at night and in the a.m.

How long was the 'good while' improvement you noticed?

Peata

Stuart said:
Peata said:

I didn't keep track, but it seemed like a couple months. Could be because I was on cyproheptadine, but I doubt it helped much. It never really helped my allergies. I went off it a while back. Then around the time of my period this month, allergies were back. And now, a week before my next one.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Peata said:
Stuart said:
Peata said:

I didn't keep track, but it seemed like a couple months. Could be because I was on cyproheptadine, but I doubt it helped much. It never really helped my allergies. I went off it a while back. Then around the time of my period this month, allergies were back. And now, a week before my next one.

Did you ever try liquid cyproheptadine Peata?

Stuart

Peata said:
Stuart said:

Have you read Art Ayer's(the 'Cooling Inflammation' guy) thoughts on all allergies being connected to gut dysbiosis? Not suggesting anything mind you, but it makes very interesting reading.
His approacn to dealing with inflammation is quite different to Dr.Peat's to be frank, but maybe it could join some dots for you. The autoimmune and endocrinal mechanisms behind allergies of all sorts, including to things like gluten, are so complex aren't they?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals