Evening Starch / PUFA Cravings

PeatThemAll

Most probably my body trying to make up for not enough calories during the day, and I used to address it with ice cream + gelatin powder (currently taking a break, didn't feel like having any for a while), but for the last couple of evenings I have had these unmistakable PUFA (almond butter, peanut butter) and/or starch cravings.

It's almost like my body says it has gotten enough fruit, dairy, protein, and fructose for the day, and it's time for something else.

For now, I "kill" them with 5-6 raw organic carrots, sometimes less. Through trial and error I concluded that I need to eat something, otherwise I'll be up at 2AM.

What do you do when you get in a similar situation?

tara

I seem to get cravings for starch in the evening sometimes, esp. i I haven't had any through the day. I usually respond by eating some starch and planning to eat more starch with lunch the next day.
I seldom get PUFA cravings that I can't satisfy better with something else. But every couple of months I indulge myself with a little fresh salmon sushi.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
PeatThemAll said:
post 105873 What do you do when you get in a similar situation?

Eat. :D

I try to eat at least one potato right before I go to sleep.

Last edited:
OP
P

PeatThemAll

Charlie said:
PeatThemAll said:
post 105873 What do you do when you get in a similar situation?

Eat. :D

I try to eat at least one potato right before I go to sleep.

:lol: You're right. And given what I'm thinking after reading YourEatopia stuff, I just might get back to tracking and regular food intake (at least until I consistently hit my minimum daily calories) regardless of appetite/feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joocy_J

If you are craving fat at night, it means you didn't have enough calories during the day.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:1

No need to go hungry, eat to heal. :D

OP
P

PeatThemAll

Charlie said:
:1

No need to go hungry, eat to heal. :D

Being hungry would be an improvement. Yeah, that's what happens when you IF long and often enough: the body gets the message, adapts, and only sends you signals at extremes (feeling cold, appetite (mind) but not hunger (gut), energy drop / nervousness / hypo feelings).

Time to retrain the body and convince it - by repeat intake - that the 'starvation' era is over. The Peat-y approved list is hard to get bored of :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I find mangos and potatoes make me hungry. :D

Sea

Just eat honey, you obviously aren't craving pufa, but carbohydrates and/or protien, nobody craves tablespoons of canola oil or fish oil.

Carrots are an awful idea in this instance because they will provide no carbohydrates or protien, and take up valuable space in the intestine which will make it difficult to eat enough food to prevent your metabolism from falling further in this instance.

You're also better off just eating mcdonalds or taco bell than almond or peanut butter.

Ice cream and gelatin are pretty awful choices for a hypothyroid person IMO.

YuraCZ

Sea said:
post 106161 Just eat honey, you obviously aren't craving pufa, but carbohydrates and/or protien, nobody craves tablespoons of canola oil or fish oil.

Carrots are an awful idea in this instance because they will provide no carbohydrates or protien, and take up valuable space in the intestine which will make it difficult to eat enough food to prevent your metabolism from falling further in this instance.

You're also better off just eating mcdonalds or taco bell than almond or peanut butter.

I have really often cravings for this... I can eat a whole chicken so easily. :D

Attachments

• Grilled-chicken[1].jpg
    Grilled-chicken[1].jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,157

Sea

YuraCZ said:
post 106180
Sea said:
post 106161 Just eat honey, you obviously aren't craving pufa, but carbohydrates and/or protien, nobody craves tablespoons of canola oil or fish oil.

I have really often cravings for this... I can eat a whole chicken so easily. :D

Chicken is a very lean source of protien that is significantly better than milk for a hypothyroid person.

YuraCZ

Very lean source of protein is skinless chicken breast, but not a whole chicken.. But of course it's still mainly saturated and omega 9 fat. PUFA content is not too high. Once in awhile, better than doughnuts.. ;) Btw I know that you push low fat here, but for most people it is not sustainable. I think macros 50-25-25 or 50-20-30 carbs-fats-pro are ideal for majority of people including me..

Gl;itch.e

Sea said:
post 106184

Chicken is a very lean source of protien that is significantly better than milk for a hypothyroid person.
how do you figure that?

Just type starch in the search box here and you'll see so many people struggle with this craving. Why are so many people perplexed by this? Could it be because the human being is a high starch eater by nature aka a starchivore? Oh wait, let me guess, the Inuit and Maasai "debunk" this. Never mind the fact that the Maasai eat Ugali, just ignore that. But more importantly, the Maasai do not drink homogenized milk which means it's not whole milk, its low fat milk and it's only when it's in season. Without homogenization the cream separates and unless they literally ate all of the cream, they drank lower fat milk.And why are the Inuit used as a model for health? So the only models that anti-starch people have are one that actually eats corn flour and another one that has obese elders eating whale blubber?

while I have:

The Okinawans: "The Okinawan sweet potato, with a caloric density of 1.0 kcal/gram, has been the main carbohydrate of the Okinawan diet from the 1600s until approximately 1960, accounting for more than 50% of calories.64"'

http://okicent.org/docs/anyas_cr_diet_2 ... 4_434s.pdf

Tarahumara Indians: “From the dietary histories and field observations, it became clear that the Tarahumaras received the majority of their daily nutrients (90% of total calories) from corn and beans (pinto bean variety)”

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/32/4/905.full.pdf

Last edited:

Sea

Gl;itch.e said:
post 106192
Sea said:
post 106184

how do you figure that?

Hypothyroid people are all lactose intolerant and sodium deficient so feeding them milk will not only increase their serotonin due to bacterial fermentation, but it will also wreck their electrolyte balance due to the amount of liquid.

Sea

Makrosky said:
post 106190
Sea said:

??? Why???

Ice cream is high in fat which is no friend to a hypothyroid person. Hypothyroid people should probably only consume coconut oil as fat or very trace amounts of fat found in other founds that can't be avoided.

I doubt there has ever been a hypothyroid person capable of digesting gelatin.

Sea

Westside PUFAs said:
post 106197 Just type starch in the search box here and you'll see so many people struggle with this craving. Why are so many people perplexed by this? Could it be because the human being is a high starch eater by nature aka a starchivore? Oh wait, let me guess, the Inuit and Maasai "debunk" this. Never mind the fact that the Maasai eat Ugali, just ignore that. But more importantly, the Maasai do not drink homogenized milk which means it's not whole milk, its low fat milk and it's only when it's in season. Without homogenization the cream separates and unless they literally ate all of the cream, they drank lower fat milk.

And why are the Inuit used as a model for health? So the only models that anti-starch people have are one that actually eats corn flour and another one that has obese elders eating whale blubber:

ehyr9h.jpg

while I have:

The Okinawans: "The Okinawan sweet potato, with a caloric density of 1.0 kcal/gram, has been the main carbohydrate of the Okinawan diet from the 1600s until approximately 1960, accounting for more than 50% of calories.64"'

http://okicent.org/docs/anyas_cr_diet_2 ... 4_434s.pdf

Tarahumara Indians: “From the dietary histories and field observations, it became clear that the Tarahumaras received the majority of their daily nutrients (90% of total calories) from corn and beans (pinto bean variety)”

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/32/4/905.full.pdf

and many others:

2i707x0.jpg

When your metabolism is fast you won't crave starch, it will disgust you and won't benefit you compared with simple sugars.

When your metabolism is slow starch is a dry food with added sodium that will improve a hypothyroid person's temperature/pulse more so than many other choices of foods. I think hypothyroid people can do better without starch, but most will have too high a serotonin level to begin with to be able to figure out how to make a no starch diet work well for them.

And, obviously, your observations about starch cravings are from a forum where most posters are hypothyroid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals