Edmonds Blog on "Cravings"

Nicholas

i find this blog post really fascinating.....not so much that i agree with it - but it's really interesting to delve into the perspective of meat/fat eaters.

Blog here: http://edwardjedmonds.com/cravings/

he says, "Now we believe that sucrose is good for us, we believe that the swings between hypo- and hyperglycemia are normal and all the peculiar behaviors associated with it."

[thinking out loud:] For anyone who has trained their body in whatever manner to not rely on carbohydrates as a primary fuel, this straddling of hypo and hyperglycemia when re-introducing carbohydrates would be the case (if i'm not mistaken) due to improper glycogen storage? Edmonds and others know a lot more about physiology and biochemical processes than i do - just speculating here and wanting to get other expert opinions.

this is really fascinating because the very reality of straddling hypo and hyper is a GOOD thing in my opinion, as part of the PROCESS of healing. Just because you have a negative reaction to something does not mean your experiment shows you are doing the wrong thing. I remember after going almost zero carb for a month and towards the end of that month i found myself in a scenario where i was offered some of my favorite custard in the whole world - Ted Drewe's custard in St. Louis, MO. I couldn't pass it up...and 15 min. after eating some i litterally trailed off to sleep like i went into a diabetic coma. so naturally i concluded that my elimination of carbohydrates was a great decision.

i used to crave meat and fat as "fuel" back in my paleo days. nowadays, i crave all sorts of macros (namely carbs) as "fuel".....but it is a different kind of craving. And i know first hand that when glycogen storage is better that i straddle the hypo/hyper thing much less.

montmorency

Nicholas said:
post 98472 Ted Drewe's custard in St. Louis, MO. I couldn't pass it up...and 15 min. after eating some i litterally trailed off to sleep like i went into a diabetic coma. so naturally i concluded that my elimination of carbohydrates was a great decision.

i used to crave meat and fat as "fuel" back in my paleo days. nowadays, i crave all sorts of macros (namely carbs) as "fuel".....but it is a different kind of craving. And i know first hand that when glycogen storage is better that i straddle the hypo/hyper thing much less.

Well, that just goes to show that we are all different. I never suffered any obvious ill-effects from cutting out most and later as far as possible all, carbs, and neither did I suffer from any obvious short-term ill-effects when I re-introduced at least some carbs.

The best thing I ever did was to avoid (as far as possible), processed food (whether carbs or non-carbs), and that has been a constant now, for many years, while my carb and fat content has varied a lot.

If we can try to eat as natural food as possible (not always easy, I know), then I believe that given our likely evolutionary history, we can do perfectly well on either high carb/low fat, or high fat, low carb, or anywhere in between.

And actually this guerrilla war against low-carb that some Peatarians seem to adopt is actually to miss the real essence of Peat.
In my humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals