Craving Casein?

LouiseK

Hi all,

This is my first post here, sorry if it's a touch long! I've been lurking on the forum since I started looking into Peat 8 or so months go and have had fantastic results from implementing some of the research and suggestions from Peat & this forum - what a great resource ;)

I have a question about craving protein - namely casein. I've found that a low fat, minimal starch program works best for me but I have insane cravings for more solid 0%/low fat dairy like quark, polish curd cheese, skyr strained yoghurt or cottage cheese to the point where I'm concerned that so much protein mightn't be good for me. I often end up having 60-70g of protein from dairy in one sitting before I feel satisfied (with a little salt, cinnamon and lots of sugar - usually honey, cherries, grapes or a bit of maple syrup - I've learned not to be scared of sugar cravings, and know that it is important to have with protein). I'll have other protein during the day (some gelatin, goats milk, occasionally mushrooms/ seafood/ liver/ beef/ egg) and usually end up around 100-150g in a day (I'm 25 y.o., 5'6", no idea what I weigh but I'm a UK size 8, do yoga a few times a week and a fair bit of walking but no cardio).

I have read about protein overload (ammonia etc) and the body only being able to use 30g max at a time. Apart from feeling pretty stuffed for a few hours afterwards (in a happy way!) and occasionally having some bubbles in my pee, I haven't noticed any ill effects but don't want to be unintentionally doing something counter-productive by following my cravings! Does anyone have an idea of what I might be craving, and whether there's something else that might hit the spot? I've tried starch/fat and don't feel as good on these, especially in terms of mood and stress...

Discovering this info has helped me get toned (I've always been average-slim but can see some muscle tone now), thicker & new hair growth without excess hair loss when I brush, weaned off the thyroxine meds that I was prescribed at 16, super white eyes for the first time as an adult, etc. I also take a daily aspirin, coffee, cocoa and more recently vit b, vits k & d, zinc & lysine, bicarb once a few times per week.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Gl;itch.e

I don't think it would be a problem. It might be easier on your digestion to space that amount out a little more but you will be fine, larger meals just take a little longer to digest. If you aren't stressed or busy then this is fine. If you are needing to be active then it might be best to have smaller meals so as not to overburden your digestive abilities when you aren't able to fully rest. I get about 80g-90g+ of protein from casein powder/milk and cheese daily.

Those "pee bubbles" from what I understand are glucuronidation. Which is a good thing. I have noticed this happening basically non stop since increasing carbs and starting to read Ray and this forum.

tara

Welcome LouiseK

usually end up around 100-150g in a day
That doesn't seem excessive to me as an overall daily amount of protein for a moderately active young woman. If you are craving that,and don't see any ill effects, I don't see any reason to hold back. Maybe there's a case for splitting the protein up into 3 or more meals.

You could run a typical day's diet through cronometer or similar and see if there are any obvious micronutrient gaps to fill.
If you are eating very little fat, it may be worth checking if you are getting all the fat-soluble vitamins.

I crave dairy too - wish I could eat so much. :)

honeybee

Hi all,

I have a question about craving protein - namely casein. I've found that a low fat, minimal starch program works best for me but I have insane cravings for more solid 0%/low fat dairy like quark, polish curd cheese, skyr strained yoghurt or cottage cheese to the point where I'm concerned that so much protein mightn't be good for me. I often end up having 60-70g of protein from dairy in one sitting before I feel satisfied (with a little salt, cinnamon and lots of sugar - usually honey, cherries, grapes or a bit of maple syrup - I've learned not to be scared of sugar cravings, and know that it is important to have with protein). I'll have other protein during the day (some gelatin, goats milk, occasionally mushrooms/ seafood/ liver/ beef/ egg) and usually end up around 100-150g in a day (I'm 25 y.o., 5'6", no idea what I weigh but I'm a UK size 8, do yoga a few times a week and a fair bit of walking but no cardio).

I have read about protein overload (ammonia etc) and the body only being able to use 30g max at a time. Apart from feeling pretty stuffed for a few hours afterwards (in a happy way!) and occasionally having some bubbles in my pee, I haven't noticed any ill effects but don't want to be unintentionally doing something counter-productive by following my cravings! Does anyone have an idea of what I might be craving, and whether there's something else that might hit the spot? I've tried starch/fat and don't feel as good on these, especially in terms of mood and stress...

Discovering this info has helped me get toned (I've always been average-slim but can see some muscle tone now), thicker & new hair growth without excess hair loss when I brush, weaned off the thyroxine meds that I was prescribed at 16, super white eyes for the first time as an adult, etc. I also take a daily aspirin, coffee, cocoa and more recently vit b, vits k & d, zinc & lysine, bicarb once a few times per week.

Thanks for any suggestions :)
Maybe salt? When I start craving cheese it's sometimes the salt that I need.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals