Anyone Else Feel A Bit Guilty And Indulgent For Eating This Way

lampofred

Butter, ghee, coconut oil
Fruit juice, fruits, maple syrup, honey, soda
Milk, eggs, various cheeses, oysters
Salt, spring water

For the most part I eat all of the above ad libitum, with very little starch or beans. In the past, with the exception of coconut oil and soda, you'd only see this kind of the food on the tables of nobility... They are pretty universally considered dainty and luxurious foods. Plus I don't really exercise aside from mild walking.

I see everyone around me working much harder than I do, and eating as if they were in a famine, yet suffering from various "incurable" health issues like diabetes. I can't help but think they're a bit pissed off at me for eating gallons of sugar and saturated fat and barely exercising while still having great blood sugar levels, not really having any health issues aside from getting fatigued easily (but I do I try to tell people as much as I can that vegetable oil is poison, in a non-domineering/non-authoritative way).

Is this gluttony? I honestly don't know how I could get more indulgent with my food aside from starting to eat caviar and freshly hunted game or something. But I also don't know how to eat a less luxurious diet without adversely impacting health.

OP
L

lampofred

I just realized raising your metabolism is the definition of gluttony. Taking in more calories than is necessary to survive...

I guess the way to reconcile it is that if my metabolism is 2x as fast as that of the average person & I'm eating twice as much, then I have to contribute 2x as much back to the world. That would probably be the only way for me to both eat to have a high metabolism and not feel like a glutton...

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
No I think it’s optimal to nourish ourselves well. We have just been brainwashed to believe we need to suffer and deny ourselves nourishment.

somuch4food

I feel a bit like an alien when I hear people talking about health advice.

When I went to the GP for the annual checkup for my toddler, she mentionned that I could water down his juice to limit the sugar. She also said that he was healthy because he was eating his fruits and vegetables... One year ago, that was what I was doing and he was miserable with skin and sleep trouble. Encountering Peat was an eye opener.

He's eating fruits, but vegetables are scarce in his diet since I seem to have trouble with most of them, I don't use them a lot in my cooking.

When I was younger and had very little knowledge about nutrition, I used to feel worried everytime I ate fast food or even "regular" food( which is full of PUFA). I was always thinking "what food can I eat a lot of and be healthy?"

I tried a few diets in the past, and when I encountered Peat's work, it all clicked. PUFA restriction+ lots of sucrose+ animal nutrition made so much sense, and the diet made me feel amazing, and, at the beggining, I was a little worried: "Am I going to get fat eating like this?". The answer was no. I kept eating as much as I wanted, and even ate past satiation without gaining any more weight than what I had previously gained initially. I concluded through experimentation that I could eat as much sucrose and lean animal foods as I wanted without side-effects. I think that's when I realized I had finally found a very big piece of the health puzzle, and that made me so much more confident in making other health choices, and it put my worries to rest.

Also, it's true, grains and legumes and vegetables are slave food, and lead to disease. They dumb people down with their anti-nutrients and irritating fiber. Constipation, fibromyalgia, and strokes are potential, even common, side-effects of such a diet. Dementia is possible, due to the lack of things like vitamin B12, creatine, and carnosine, as well as demyelination of the neurons due to lack of saturated and monounsaturated fats.

For at least one tribe of hunter-gatherers that I know of, the most praised foods are meat and honey, so, basically, animal foods and concentrated sucrose. All other foods are much less praised and probably only eaten in significative quantities when the two above-mentioned foods were scarce. Bears are carnivores and absolutely love honey, and they are greatly benefited by it.

When the eskimos were asked whether or not they eat vegetables or fruits, they said something along the lines of " We only eat those things when there is no real food.". With "real food", they meant animal products.

A healthy organism can overeat and burn off the excessive calories through uncoupling, and that leads to health benfits, since you're basically burning calories and producing a lot of CO2 and heat.

The Masai used to eat an almost all animal product-diet and used to be very healthy and very strong, but nowadays, as Peat, mentioned, they eat way more vegetables.

I take issue with the concept of "contributing". Of course, if you're part of a village or of a small community, then sure, contributing in some way will yield positive benefits, but I wouldn't try to contribute to "society", it's a very vague term, and you don't even know the people you're supposedly helping. The system we live in forces people to contribute through the money paradigm, so, as long as you work anywhere for any period of time to get enough money to buy food and pay taxes, then you're "contributing". Just live life like you want to live it, and do what you really want to do, you don't owe anything anything to anybody, look at how animals behave in the wild, they do their own thing without worrying about giving back. In fact, the way the world naturally works, things cycle and, in a sense, it's impossible to not "give back". Just my current opinion.

nbznj

It depends on your body’s reactions. If you’re getting fatter, cholesterol is going up, hba1c is up, triglycerides... you’re getting sick. If you’re lean and mean and sleep like a log, good libido good digestion and so on, you’re good

You still need to be active tho. Walk or bike around. The Masai have been having a peaty diet, little (muscle) meat, tons of high quality milk, honey and whatever little plants there are around in their habitat, they have low LDL and perfect bloodwork since they are insanely active (thus at a calculated deficit), yet autopsies show lots of vascular damage. They don’t die from heart disease thanks to their activity level keeping arteries nice and wide.

Bottom line; caloric intake still applies

It depends on your body’s reactions. If you’re getting fatter, cholesterol is going up, hba1c is up, triglycerides... you’re getting sick. If you’re lean and mean and sleep like a log, good libido good digestion and so on, you’re good

You still need to be active tho. Walk or bike around. The Masai have been having a peaty diet, little (muscle) meat, tons of high quality milk, honey and whatever little plants there are around in their habitat, they have low LDL and perfect bloodwork since they are insanely active (thus at a calculated deficit), yet autopsies show lots of vascular damage. They don’t die from heart disease thanks to their activity level keeping arteries nice and wide.

Bottom line; caloric intake still applies
Where did you read that the Masai have lots of vascular damage?

As this is a correlation, we can't know for sure if the Masai were helped by exercise( preventing them from dying earlier from cardiovascualr disease) or if it's in fact the excessive exercise that they do that caused the vascualr damage in the first place. I'm inclined to think that the latter is correct, since bikers also show vascular problems( especifically arterial calcifications) and they are very active.

Regarding the Inuits, they live in an insanely hostile environment which means their TDEE is super high.

The Masai could be a decent inspiration, but the eskimos? Not at all. They’re mostly fantasies from low carb lost souls.

Masai and Inuit High-Protein Diets: A Closer Look - Center for Nutrition Studies
TDEE in eskimos is indeed higher than most people's. What's your argument then? That they "burn off" all the bad animal foods out of their bodies?

T. Collin Campbell is the guy who cherry-picked the China study by leaving out communities where they were eating a lot of animal foods and having extremely low rates of many diseases that were affecting the vegans. I wouldn't to to him for advice.

By the way, just to make it clear, I'm not advocating low carb diets, I think carbohydrate is insanely important, I just used the example of the eskimos because they value animal foods, because, indeed, I'm very much in favour of animal foods. The diet of the inuit was higher in PUFA than desirable, and I think that explains the difficulties they have to go through. I agree that the Masai are certainly a better inspiration, diet-wise.

Vinny

Good health is a treasure and without proper nutrition is impossible. Keep going and enjoy it as much as you can.

Runenight201

Without starch in your diet you will either always fatigue easily or perform at suboptimal physical levels. Sugar and fruit are the nitrous boosters to blast your performance into overdrive, but starch is the gasoline. Without starch, the body runs on nitrous and body shop work (animal foods). There is no high quality gasoline so that the body can run for a long time. It could run on subpar gasoline like fatty acids, but it would be akin to putting 87 in your car which takes 93. You’re leaving performance on the table.

The problem is finding quality gasoline that isn’t damaging your car. Sometimes the problem with starch isn’t the starch itself, but rather that the fuel tank is clogged up with inappropriate fuel sources, making it impossible to put in the quality fuel we need.

In my experience, I have found this crucial. Don’t let anything get in the way of digestion of starch. Hell, I’d rather have energy and be weak than be strong as hell but fatigued all the time, which is what an animal product heavy diet produces. Luckily there is a balance, and we can have our cake and eat it too!

In regards towards your guilt about eating high quality food. This is what development and modernity is supposed to bring. High health and high quality of life for all. It is what we should be striving for. We just need to obtain these things without degredating our environment and sustaining our place on this earth (barring astronomical catastrophes, which we have no control over)

gaze

starvation food (potatoes, beans, rice, etc) are in no way shape or form the reason why the poor are fat and have diabetes. Poor people don’t have the time to cook, so they are always eating chips, fries, fast food pufa, for the calories. You could live a pretty healthy life if you ate the real poverty food. So don’t feel guilty, feel angry at the big corporations for reducing the price of pufas so much that they’re in everything. look at a mcdonald’s big mac ingredients. should be bread, meat, cheese, lettuce, etc. but no, it’s like 100 different things with all the fillers and soybean oil and crap.

Cirion

Call me selfish but I don't feel guilty at all for spending lots of time and money that others might not have to get well. One day when I'm actually cured of hypo and actually have energy to spare I might care about other people, but currently, nope, and no remorse =P I spend too much energy trying to get well to worry about what other people are doing.

Without starch in your diet you will either always fatigue easily or perform at suboptimal physical levels. Sugar and fruit are the nitrous boosters to blast your performance into overdrive, but starch is the gasoline. Without starch, the body runs on nitrous and body shop work (animal foods). There is no high quality gasoline so that the body can run for a long time. It could run on subpar gasoline like fatty acids, but it would be akin to putting 87 in your car which takes 93. You’re leaving performance on the table.

The problem is finding quality gasoline that isn’t damaging your car. Sometimes the problem with starch isn’t the starch itself, but rather that the fuel tank is clogged up with inappropriate fuel sources, making it impossible to put in the quality fuel we need.

In my experience, I have found this crucial. Don’t let anything get in the way of digestion of starch. Hell, I’d rather have energy and be weak than be strong as hell but fatigued all the time, which is what an animal product heavy diet produces. Luckily there is a balance, and we can have our cake and eat it too!

In regards towards your guilt about eating high quality food. This is what development and modernity is supposed to bring. High health and high quality of life for all. It is what we should be striving for. We just need to obtain these things without degredating our environment and sustaining our place on this earth (barring astronomical catastrophes, which we have no control over)

Needing starch is the big lie our bodies tell us. I keep thinking I need starch too, but the more I eliminate starch from my diet the better off I am. I'm down to almost no starch and finally my bloat/body weight seems to finally start coming down whereas before it simply would not come down. Starch, like excess meat/tryptophan, and milk, are the most bloating/fattening foods for me. I can literally feel my serotonin increasing if I eat too much starch and the lethargy, laziness, angry emotions, brain fog that serotonin brings with it. The reality is it is a need for salt, not so much starch. Salt needs are pretty high, especially in hypothyroid, which is what can lead one to want lots of starch. But starch feeds endotoxin, and is 50% more fattening than sugar on a calorie by calorie basis (Ray's words not mine). Not to mention also that starch is often rich in anti metabolic aminos like tryptophan and cysteine, sometimes even more so than animal meats. Can one over-do sugar too? Sure, definitely, I've found a threshold that I try not to cross or it causes problems.

If you have SIBO, I was just reading an old post of Haiduts' --- yes sugar can feed SIBO, but starch feeds it doubly more so. So sugar is less evil in this case. Let's also not forget that in the case of hypothyroid/poor digestion, Ray infamously has said "Starch should be ZERO". Not low, zero.

I am pretty sure nowadays Ray eats nearly zero starch, and many forum members also run well on zero starch. Haidut, who needs no introduction either, am pretty sure is eating zero starch as well, and he's probably the healthiest person on this forum.

Last edited:

gaze

Call me selfish but I don't feel guilty at all for spending lots of time and money that others might not have to get well. One day when I'm actually cured of hypo and actually have energy to spare I might care about other people, but currently, nope, and no remorse =P I spend too much energy trying to get well to worry about what other people are doing.

Needing starch is the big lie our bodies tell us. I keep thinking I need starch too, but the more I eliminate starch from my diet the better off I am. I'm down to almost no starch and finally my bloat/body weight seems to finally start coming down whereas before it simply would not come down. Starch, like excess meat/tryptophan, and milk, are the most bloating/fattening foods for me. I can literally feel my serotonin increasing if I eat too much starch and the lethargy, laziness, angry emotions, brain fog that serotonin brings with it. The reality is it is a need for salt, not so much starch. Salt needs are pretty high, especially in hypothyroid, which is what can lead one to want lots of starch. But starch feeds endotoxin, and is 50% more fattening than sugar on a calorie by calorie basis (Ray's words not mine). Not to mention also that starch is often rich in anti metabolic aminos like tryptophan and cysteine, sometimes even more so than animal meats. Can one over-do sugar too? Sure, definitely, I've found a threshold that I try not to cross or it causes problems.

If you have SIBO, I was just reading an old post of Haiduts' --- yes sugar can feed SIBO, but starch feeds it doubly more so. So sugar is less evil in this case. Let's also not forget that in the case of hypothyroid/poor digestion, Ray infamously has said "Starch should be ZERO". Not low, zero.

you sound very orthorexic. no meat, milk, starch. your going down the flawed road of trying to feel better by eliminating one thing after another rather than eating more of those foods to ramp your body up so they can digest them. as you eliminate more and more, and your body produces less and less digestive enzymes, and stomach acid goes down because no meat starch is eaten, your in for a bad crash. you don’t cure hypo by avoiding everything under the sun, you cure it by avoiding pufa and eating a lot of a variety types of different food.

Cirion

you sound very orthorexic. no meat, milk, starch. your going down the flawed road of trying to feel better by eliminating one thing after another rather than eating more of those foods to ramp your body up so they can digest them. as you eliminate more and more, and your body produces less and less digestive enzymes, and stomach acid goes down because no meat starch is eaten, your in for a bad crash. you don’t cure hypo by avoiding everything under the sun, you cure it by avoiding pufa and eating a lot of a variety types of different food.

Yes orthorexic but I've gone through 2 years of metabolic hell "trying to make foods work" and all that did is make me fat and even more hypo. I'm actually very close to figuring all this stuff out FINALLY. Anyway, by strict definition 100% of people on these forums is orthorexic to one degree or another,.... Soo.... Pot please meet kettle =P

I don't avoid all meat, I avoid all muscle meat. I'm actually a big fan of organ meat now. Current strategy is B vitamins, organ meat to restore digestion. Gonna be intaking Pancreas organ meat (as the pancreas is the organ involved with digestion). This is a better strategy than just supplementing enzymes as this should theoretically cure my own pancreas.

If you saw everything I'm doing, I'm actually following 100% of Ray's ideas to the letter (except for milk, the one thing I don't agree with him on). Ray has a whole article written on the dangers of muscle meat, after all. And starch. So, I'm literally doing what Ray says to do.

What is it about riding that causes vascular problems?
I think it may have something to do with excessive PUFA liberation in the blood, increasing PTH and causing inappropriate calcifications. Lowered CO2 from long exertions would also contribute.

I disagree about starch. When I eat no starch at all, I feel better and have more energy and feel stronger than when I do eat starch. This wasn't the case a year ago, but it seems like simple syrup( free glucose+free fructose instead of sucrose) completely eliminated any need for starch that I had.

If you eat enough sugar, your body will NOT run on protein. Actually, fructose is more effective at maintaining nitrogen balance than glucose is, so replacing starch with sugar will actually produce less ammonia. Also, sugar is much better for the bones than starch is. People on the carnivore diet notice tremendous benefits when they ditch plant fibers and starches. Ray himself has eliminated starch from his diet long time ago.

In my experience, starch is the most clogging food there is. So the only way to eat starch is to not eat starch then :)

Well, one can have energy and be strong, the way to do that is eating plenty of sugar syrup and lots of animal protein( plant protein is generally NOT good for humans). Of course, this is one way to do it. If what you're doing is working for you, then, by all means, keep doing it. :)

Runenight201

I am pretty sure nowadays Ray eats nearly zero starch, and many forum members also run well on zero starch. Haidut, who needs no introduction either, am pretty sure is eating zero starch as well, and he's probably the healthiest person on this forum.

Our human brain could not have evolved without cooked food in the diet. It was the extra energy freed up through cooking that allowed for our brain to expand the way it did. Our body doesn’t lie to us, we lie to ourselves, and come up with all sorts of psychological mind games to justify whatever it is we think may be correct.

It’s difficult to ascertain what the correct way of eating is, without truly being observant over all physical and mental states. I think I’m just going disagree that temps and hr are the be all of good health, as there are many, many more signs of faltering or vibrant health.

Dobbler

There is no way i can ever tell someone that i start my day with energy drink , milk and thyroid hormone, and end it with antibiotics and 1 liter of coke and milk, and fruit. It's fantastic ! What else there is ?? Oatmeal, broccoli, vegetable oils, rice, chicken ??? F*ck that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals