I Think I’ve Finally Figured Out How To Use Niacinamide

Inaut

so I’ve used niacinamide on and off for the last couple of years. Typically in doses of 500mg at a time (due to the capsules coming in that amount), it never really agreed with me. I’d take it but wouldn’t see any benefit.....

After listening to Chris Masterjohn discuss niacin/amide/ nicotinimide riboside in one of his YouTube videos, i clued in to the fact that the dosage I was taking was counter productive. I also recalled Masterjohn saying that only about 40mg per hour can be absorbed into the blood stream so I figured why not aim for smaller doses, more frequently throughout the day.

For the last two or so weeks, I’ve been opening up the capsule and adding a bit to water throughout the day. In total, the 500mg capsule might last me two days but the energy and feeling I get from it is quite impressive. Shortly after ingestion, I notice my body temperature rises substantially almost to the point of a light sweating for about 5 minutes. After the water, I follow up with some orange juice.

Other thing to note is my libido is off the charts. Like I’m in my teens again.... I’m taking other things as well so I won’t attribute it solely to niacinamide (limonene, caffeine, and mag malate to name a couple) but am really happy with the direction I am going in. Energy is best it’s been in a long time.

For those not getting good results from niacinamide, maybe try reducing the dosage but using it more frequently. Might be helpful.

Just thought I’d share

shine

Sounds like home-made slow release. Could be damaging your liver over time. I followed a similar dosing pattern years ago and felt amazing effects initially but ended up with an inflamed liver with enzymes in the 300s.

lampofred

Sounds like home-made slow release. Could be damaging your liver over time. I followed a similar dosing pattern years ago and felt amazing effects initially but ended up with an inflamed liver with enzymes in the 300s.

Were you taking slow release niacin or ordinary niacinamide dosed in a slow release manner?

Vinny

Hi man,
Is there any evidence, bsids ur personal experience, that niacinamide damages the liver?
If yes, then why people take it and why is so valued in this forum?

shine

Were you taking slow release niacin or ordinary niacinamide dosed in a slow release manner?

I started out with slow release niacin and then took niacinamide 3x daily for many months.
That was years ago. I was generally living a very unhealthy life with lots of PUFA in my diet and the B3 really helped in the beginning, but after a while everything went downhill and I became more and more fatigued.
I am not saying regular high doses of niacin/niacinamide were the sole cause for that and I am not advocating against it, I am just saying be cautious.

olive

You shouldn’t really be taking niacinamide after sun down, it messes with the circadian clock via SIRT1.

But you are on the right track with dose. 500mg is far too large. ~50mg upon waking with a large carb only meal (preferably including fruits) is a great way to start the day.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

You shouldn’t really be taking niacinamide after sun down, it messes with the circadian clock via SIRT1.

But you are on the right track with dose. 500mg is far too large. ~50mg upon waking with a large carb only meal (preferably including fruits) is a great way to start the day.

Thanks for the comment @olive . Will definitely keep this in mind :)

OP
Inaut

Inaut

This is similar to how Ray Peat recommends taking it.

Bump bump bump.

I probably did 50mg, three times today and it’s profound. Cant usually correlate effects of supplements but for this I can.

Ray for the win!!!!

rawmeat

Bump bump bump.

I probably did 50mg, three times today and it’s profound. Cant usually correlate effects of supplements but for this I can.

Ray for the win!!!!

Ray is half man half God.

Kyle Bigman

isn't inhibition of sirt1 what accelerates aging? why would one want to take niacinamide if that's the case

aquaman

I find this good - high carb, low fat breakfasts with an FFA inhibitor works great

Soren

Forum Supporter

I'm surprised that the niacinamide caused your inflamed liver especially when there is evidence that shows niacinamide can treat and even cure Liver cancer. I think it is more likey down to the other factors you mentioned, poor diet, high PUFA etc.

Niacinamide Can Cure Liver (and Maybe Pancreatic) Cancer
The human equivalent dose was 5.5mg per kg of body weight so someone weight 80kg would be taking 4.4grams a day!

Last edited:

Soren

Forum Supporter
Someone had the same concern about liver enzymes and Niacinamide in another thread,

Haidut response;

You'd have to take more than 3g daily for months to get this effect and even then it is not clear that the niacinamide was toxic as it only elevated liver enzymez to less than 2x the upper limit and there was no evidence of tissue pathology. Broda Barnes said that this elevation of liver enzymes to less than 2x upper limit is actually a sign of liver working well and not a sign of liver injury. The dose used in this study was <500mg daily for most people and in those doses niacinamide was shown to reverse liver damage.
Low Dose Niacinamide Prevents NAFLD / Cirrhosis

So elevated enzymes are not even necessarily a bad thing they could be a sign of the liver working the way it is supposed to.

shine

Someone had the same concern about liver enzymes and Niacinamide in another thread,

Haidut response;

So elevated enzymes are not even necessarily a bad thing they could be a sign of the liver working the way it is supposed to.

My liver hurt really bad from lightly touching it.
It was more like 6x upper limit.
I was ingesting lots of canola oil at that time though.

so I’ve used niacinamide on and off for the last couple of years. Typically in doses of 500mg at a time (due to the capsules coming in that amount), it never really agreed with me. I’d take it but wouldn’t see any benefit.....

After listening to Chris Masterjohn discuss niacin/amide/ nicotinimide riboside in one of his YouTube videos, i clued in to the fact that the dosage I was taking was counter productive. I also recalled Masterjohn saying that only about 40mg per hour can be absorbed into the blood stream so I figured why not aim for smaller doses, more frequently throughout the day.

For the last two or so weeks, I’ve been opening up the capsule and adding a bit to water throughout the day. In total, the 500mg capsule might last me two days but the energy and feeling I get from it is quite impressive. Shortly after ingestion, I notice my body temperature rises substantially almost to the point of a light sweating for about 5 minutes. After the water, I follow up with some orange juice.

Other thing to note is my libido is off the charts. Like I’m in my teens again.... I’m taking other things as well so I won’t attribute it solely to niacinamide (limonene, caffeine, and mag malate to name a couple) but am really happy with the direction I am going in. Energy is best it’s been in a long time.

For those not getting good results from niacinamide, maybe try reducing the dosage but using it more frequently. Might be helpful.

Just thought I’d share
I tried this today. Just dabbed some on to the tongue. It’s kind of bitter tasting

Soren

Forum Supporter
My liver hurt really bad from lightly touching it.
It was more like 6x upper limit.
I was ingesting lots of canola oil at that time though.

6x! damn that is pretty bad. Yea canola oil definitely wouldn't help. My policy on supplements is always to exercise caution and take it slow. I've definitely overdone it myself in the past.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals