Niacinamide increases ATP/NAD, lower glucose/cortisol in humans

haidut

Forum Supporter
A great new study demonstrating for the first time in a human experiment what hundreds of animal studies had suggested in the past. Namely, that niacinamide can serve as a reliable precursor to NAD+ and by raising the NAD/NADH ratio results in improved glucose metabolism and higher ATP levels. In addition, since NAD is the co-factor for the enzyme 11b-HSD2, which deactivates cortisol (into cortisone) one would expect niacinamide to lower cortisol as well, which is what the study observed. In fact, the cortisone/cortisol ratio, which we can measure in our hair/nail steroid analysis service, is another good redox indicator similar to the NAD/NADH, pyruvate/lactate, GSSG/GSH, etc discussed in past posts of mine, and if niacinamide lowered cortisol it means it raised the cortisone/cortisol ratio and improved the redox status. Finally, the study is one of the few out there that did NOT use the expensive and heavily promoted NAD precursors nicotinamide riboside (aka NiaGen) or nicotinamide mononucleotide. The study used plain old niacinamide in combination with D-ribose. This study is actually a good corroboration of my previous posts about nicotinamide riboside offering no special advantage to plain niacinamide due to being quickly metabolized in the body back to niacinamide and D-ribose. So, if anything, the study showed that by combining the dirt cheap and widely available D-ribose and plain niacinamide you can get the same effects as ingesting nicotinamide riboside. But, as they way in the infomercials on late night TV, there is more! Since D-ribose is rather abundant inside most mammals - i.e. it is a metabolite of glucose - one can replicate the study without the need to supplement with D-ribose. All one needs to do it take niacinamide with a sweet drink providing at least 20g of sugar and voila! The effects would be largely the same as this study. This approach is similar to the studies showing that taking glycine is sufficient to raise glutathione levels, b/c while glutathione contains both NAC and glycine, the former is abundant in the organism and does not need to be taken as a supplement while the latter is the true limiting factor on glutathione synthesis. Speaking of niacinamide, the study used 240mg niacinamide, twice daily, for just one (1) week! For those interested, the D-ribose dose was 1,280mg twice a day. So, there you have it. In addition to the recent study on low-dose niacinamide resulting in a dramatic fat loss now we have another study showing that a relatively low dose (~500mg daily) of plain niacinamide may be a viable approach to treating insulin resistance while improving the redox status of the organism and protecting against stress (by lowering cortisol).

A Combination of Nicotinamide and D-Ribose (RiaGev) Is Safe and Effective to Increase NAD+ Metabolome in Healthy Middle-Aged Adults: A Randomized, Triple-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Cross-Over Pilot Clinical Trial
Formulation of nicotinamide and D-ribose may support NAD+ and blood glucose levels, says new study

"...A recent study published in Nutrients1 found that the combination of nicotinamide and D-ribose called RiaGev from Bioenergy Life Science (Ham Lake, MN) support healthy levels of Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) metabolomes and its related benefits. In the randomized, triple-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover pilot study, 50 healthy men and women between the ages of 36 and 65 were randomized to either RiaGev (1,520 mg dosage) then placebo, or placebo then RiaGev. Supplementation took place twice daily over seven days. Blood samples were taken on day 1, day 3, day 5, and day 8. Results showed that subjects taking RiaGev saw significant increases in NAD+ and NADP+ compared to placebo at day 5 and 8, with significant within group concentration increases of 9.4%, 14.8%, and 9.7% at days 3, 5, and 8. NAPDH levels trended upwards for the RiaGev group, but were only significantly higher compared to placebo when combined with NADP+. Supplementation with RiaGev was also associated with a significant reduction in blood glucose iAUC levels, compared to baseline, with no significant changes in insulin secretion, suggesting improved insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. Additionally, subjects taking RiaGev also experienced significant increases in total glutathione at days 3 and 5, increases in high energy phosphates ATP and ADP ratio at days 3, 5, and 8, as well as significant reductions in salivary cortisol at days 5 and 8, compared to placebo. Subjects in the study took the Checklist Individual Strength (CIS) questionnaire with subscales that measured physical fatigue, mental concentration, motivation, and physical activities. Both RiaGev and placebo group saw improvements in CIS scores with the exception of physical activity subscales. However, scores were consistently greater in the RiaGev group compared to the placebo group with total CIS scores improving by 21.5%, 18.3%, and 12.7% at days 3, 5, and 8, respectively. Compare this to the placebo group which saw total CIS score improvements of 10.4%, 6.2%, and 4.1% at days 3, 5 and 8, respectively."

Thank you. Great study. Of course they are testing their proprietary formula, but as you point out, it is simply not necessary and we can learn a lot from the study. Thanks for the hint on equivalence with sugar and plain niacinamide.

shine

D-Ribose by itself lowers blood sugar so the results may be skewed or at least not solely attributable to nicotinamide.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
D-Ribose by itself lowers blood sugar so the results may be skewed or at least not solely attributable to nicotinamide.

Yes, but not at such doses, and there was also a placebo group with just D-ribose and it did not experience such reductions in blood glucose. The studies with D-ribose for metabolic benefits use at least 5g per dose and usually more than once daily.

miquelangeles

It's great during colds/covid, it brought my energy level back to normal, taken together with ubiquinol.
Many covid symptoms resemble those of B3 deficiency (diarrhoea, dermatitis, oral cavity and tongue issues, loss of smell and taste, mental confusion)

brocktoon

Yes, but not at such doses, and there was also a placebo group with just D-ribose and it did not experience such reductions in blood glucose. The studies with D-ribose for metabolic benefits use at least 5g per dose and usually more than once daily.
I'm considering a daily combo of 500 mg of niacinamide (in a split dose) and 5g of d-ribose (2-3 doses) in hopes of reducing my ongoing fatigue following Lyme antibiotic treatment. Thoughts on this anyone? Anyone have an idea as to the etiology of fatigue from Lyme in particular?

Sefton10

Not sure if this study has already been posted on the forum, it suggests glucose intolerance from NAM. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can refute it.

Cow

In my ongoing efforts to lose fat, and because so many positive studies are coming out about it, I dissolved 100 mg of niacinamide in water, planing to take little sips throughout the day, but by afternoon, I was manic. It should be stated that I am prone to mania. And I am truly a canary in a coal mine when it comes to supplements, hardly tolerating any of them, but I thought I would share this so others with brains that are similar can be aware.

I googled around a bit and found similar anecdotal stuff: "This case highlights the possibility of acute, manic-like psychotic episodes caused by high doses of niacin. The role of niacin in the synthesis of amino acids, such as tryptophan, with the resulting stimulation of production of serotonin and dopamine can suggest an explanation of this kind of reaction in a sensitive patient."

I might try it again at a much lower dose. In other experimenting, I find that dissolving a small amount in water and rubbing it on my face makes the skin incredibly soft and smooth -not soon enough to tell if it actually helps wrinkles or anything. I notice it is in a lot of the newer skin creams.

P

Peatness

Niacinamide’s Potent role in Alleviating Anxiety with its Benzodiazepine-like Properties: A Case Report

A.R

In my ongoing efforts to lose fat, and because so many positive studies are coming out about it, I dissolved 100 mg of niacinamide in water, planing to take little sips throughout the day, but by afternoon, I was manic. It should be stated that I am prone to mania. And I am truly a canary in a coal mine when it comes to supplements, hardly tolerating any of them, but I thought I would share this so others with brains that are similar can be aware.

I googled around a bit and found similar anecdotal stuff: "This case highlights the possibility of acute, manic-like psychotic episodes caused by high doses of niacin. The role of niacin in the synthesis of amino acids, such as tryptophan, with the resulting stimulation of production of serotonin and dopamine can suggest an explanation of this kind of reaction in a sensitive patient."

I might try it again at a much lower dose. In other experimenting, I find that dissolving a small amount in water and rubbing it on my face makes the skin incredibly soft and smooth -not soon enough to tell if it actually helps wrinkles or anything. I notice it is in a lot of the newer skin creams.

How I wish I was able to get niacinamide to work for me.

Whenever I take even a small dose, I start to get tremors and muscle twitching, and keeping my sugar stores topped up doesn’t help with the side effects either.

sunny

Not sure if this study has already been posted on the forum, it suggests glucose intolerance from NAM. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can refute it.

Interested as well. Reading it brings to mind I should read Ray Peat "The resveritol scam" again.

A great new study demonstrating for the first time in a human experiment what hundreds of animal studies had suggested in the past. Namely, that niacinamide can serve as a reliable precursor to NAD+ and by raising the NAD/NADH ratio results in improved glucose metabolism and higher ATP levels. In addition, since NAD is the co-factor for the enzyme 11b-HSD2, which deactivates cortisol (into cortisone) one would expect niacinamide to lower cortisol as well, which is what the study observed. In fact, the cortisone/cortisol ratio, which we can measure in our hair/nail steroid analysis service, is another good redox indicator similar to the NAD/NADH, pyruvate/lactate, GSSG/GSH, etc discussed in past posts of mine, and if niacinamide lowered cortisol it means it raised the cortisone/cortisol ratio and improved the redox status. Finally, the study is one of the few out there that did NOT use the expensive and heavily promoted NAD precursors nicotinamide riboside (aka NiaGen) or nicotinamide mononucleotide. The study used plain old niacinamide in combination with D-ribose. This study is actually a good corroboration of my previous posts about nicotinamide riboside offering no special advantage to plain niacinamide due to being quickly metabolized in the body back to niacinamide and D-ribose. So, if anything, the study showed that by combining the dirt cheap and widely available D-ribose and plain niacinamide you can get the same effects as ingesting nicotinamide riboside. But, as they way in the infomercials on late night TV, there is more! Since D-ribose is rather abundant inside most mammals - i.e. it is a metabolite of glucose - one can replicate the study without the need to supplement with D-ribose. All one needs to do it take niacinamide with a sweet drink providing at least 20g of sugar and voila! The effects would be largely the same as this study. This approach is similar to the studies showing that taking glycine is sufficient to raise glutathione levels, b/c while glutathione contains both NAC and glycine, the former is abundant in the organism and does not need to be taken as a supplement while the latter is the true limiting factor on glutathione synthesis. Speaking of niacinamide, the study used 240mg niacinamide, twice daily, for just one (1) week! For those interested, the D-ribose dose was 1,280mg twice a day. So, there you have it. In addition to the recent study on low-dose niacinamide resulting in a dramatic fat loss now we have another study showing that a relatively low dose (~500mg daily) of plain niacinamide may be a viable approach to treating insulin resistance while improving the redox status of the organism and protecting against stress (by lowering cortisol).

A Combination of Nicotinamide and D-Ribose (RiaGev) Is Safe and Effective to Increase NAD+ Metabolome in Healthy Middle-Aged Adults: A Randomized, Triple-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Cross-Over Pilot Clinical Trial
Formulation of nicotinamide and D-ribose may support NAD+ and blood glucose levels, says new study

"...A recent study published in Nutrients1 found that the combination of nicotinamide and D-ribose called RiaGev from Bioenergy Life Science (Ham Lake, MN) support healthy levels of Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) metabolomes and its related benefits. In the randomized, triple-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover pilot study, 50 healthy men and women between the ages of 36 and 65 were randomized to either RiaGev (1,520 mg dosage) then placebo, or placebo then RiaGev. Supplementation took place twice daily over seven days. Blood samples were taken on day 1, day 3, day 5, and day 8. Results showed that subjects taking RiaGev saw significant increases in NAD+ and NADP+ compared to placebo at day 5 and 8, with significant within group concentration increases of 9.4%, 14.8%, and 9.7% at days 3, 5, and 8. NAPDH levels trended upwards for the RiaGev group, but were only significantly higher compared to placebo when combined with NADP+. Supplementation with RiaGev was also associated with a significant reduction in blood glucose iAUC levels, compared to baseline, with no significant changes in insulin secretion, suggesting improved insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. Additionally, subjects taking RiaGev also experienced significant increases in total glutathione at days 3 and 5, increases in high energy phosphates ATP and ADP ratio at days 3, 5, and 8, as well as significant reductions in salivary cortisol at days 5 and 8, compared to placebo. Subjects in the study took the Checklist Individual Strength (CIS) questionnaire with subscales that measured physical fatigue, mental concentration, motivation, and physical activities. Both RiaGev and placebo group saw improvements in CIS scores with the exception of physical activity subscales. However, scores were consistently greater in the RiaGev group compared to the placebo group with total CIS scores improving by 21.5%, 18.3%, and 12.7% at days 3, 5, and 8, respectively. Compare this to the placebo group which saw total CIS score improvements of 10.4%, 6.2%, and 4.1% at days 3, 5 and 8, respectively."

MC_55

Thank you for posting. I am the author of this paper. We have a large group of pre-clinical studies to be published shortly with extensive mechanistic details, another customer-centred extension trial, replicating the original dose used in the pilot trial, extended for 28 days, and a group utilizing half the dose. Since we heavily controlled for confounding variables in the initial human trial, we used a home assay in the extension to gauge the effects of the combination in an accurate life-like simulation. The results are highly comparable, and the dose-time relationship is essentially linear. The same results are achieved by halving the dose over double the time. Unlike the NMN and NR groups, we focus on using the combination in healthy people. It is straightforward to garner significant changes in NAD+ concentration in people with pre-existing chronic illnesses. We have discovered at least one method of altering the NAD+ concentrations of healthy individuals by up to 100% by optimizing the relationships between purine and pyridine salvage.

Best wishes,
MC

Last edited:

MC_55

How I wish I was able to get niacinamide to work for me.

Whenever I take even a small dose, I start to get tremors and muscle twitching, and keeping my sugar stores topped up doesn’t help with the side effects either.

Please try a 50/50 blend of DR and NAM just prior to a meal.

MC_55

Niacin, in large doses, has been used to treat mental disorders for many decades. I would try niacin to the degree it causes a flushing effect and titrates upwards, allowing your body to acclimate to doses over 2-3 grams BID. I have had success as a clinician treating patients who do not respond to 3-500mg of niacinamide with large doses of niacin proper. Nicotinic acid, or ideally NMN, also possess this range of effects distinct from NAM. Measurably, in terms of NAD, NAM is superior and much less problematic without flushing; however, vasodilation is indicated in mental/emotional disorders -- even against the understanding and recommendations of RP -- for reasons we do not yet understand, but I believe our work with combinations of NAM and DR will yield a more complete physical picture.

Ben.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals