Has anyone tried a low PRAL, lowish carb diet?

OccamzRazer

The more I research, the more I keep coming to 2 dietary principles: low PRAL and low carbs.

(I realize that high-carb works well for many people in the Peat-osphere, but it doesn't work for me, even with supplemental thyroid and youth-associated hormones. I blame it on being Polish).

Anyways, usually these diets run contrary to eachother:

People go low carb and high animal products = high PRAL

People go high carb and high fruit/veg = low PRAL

But I think the best route might be found in combining these factors, resulting in a diet that's low PRAL and low carb.

Does anyone eat this way? Any notable pros/cons?

I've been trying this for a few days now and really love it. Lots of raw milk (some sources say it's lower-PRAL than regular), coconut products, properly prepared veggies, berries, eggs, some raw cheese and meat, some citrates. Of course, I'm still staying away from PUFA's, but am considering switching from sat fat to MUFA via high-quality olive oil.

@Amarsh213 @Yucca @Jam

Jam

A Peat-inspired diet seems fairly low PRAL to me. Lots of milk (A neutral PRAL of 0 mostly), fresh fruit (all the ones I eat are alkaline, including orange juice), cheese (most are just above 0, especially good Italian ones like Parmesan, some are extremely high though), gelatin, low-ish fat (mostly dairy and coconut/olive oil), some well-cooked leaves, mushrooms... the occasional lean meat and very occasional liver aren't really an issue. Also, sugar, honey, etc. all score negative PRAL.

baccheion

When the 1 : 1 : 3 : 3 ratio of calcium:phosphorus:potassium:sodium is followed for keto/carnivore, PRAL ends up being fine once at least 1.3 of those units of sodium are coming from baking soda.

Yucca

@OccamzRazer : i didn’t think to my diet this way, but yes, it’s exactly what works for me. Low PRAL and low carbs (with regular and moderate rice refeeds, which are also quite low PRAL)

JohnHafterson

Theres some good research on PRAL and low grade metabolic acidosis. Potassium citrate really allowed me to lower my insulin levels and get very lean but the side effects were rough. It slowed my heart rate down and caused my arms to go numb so had to stop it. My body didn't handle supplemental potassium well. May try some bicarbonates.

This article notes improved thyroid function and other endocrine effects from PRAL:

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

A Peat-inspired diet seems fairly low PRAL to me. Lots of milk (A neutral PRAL of 0 mostly), fresh fruit (all the ones I eat are alkaline, including orange juice), cheese (most are just above 0, especially good Italian ones like Parmesan, some are extremely high though), gelatin, low-ish fat (mostly dairy and coconut/olive oil), some well-cooked leaves, mushrooms... the occasional lean meat and very occasional liver aren't really an issue. Also, sugar, honey, etc. all score negative PRAL.
Yeah, that's a good point. Are you still doing low-ish carbs?

Also, I thought sugar was acidic...or is that just anti-sugar propaganda?

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

When the 1 : 1 : 3 : 3 ratio of calcium:phosphorus:potassium:sodium is followed for keto/carnivore, PRAL ends up being fine once at least 1.3 of those units of sodium are coming from baking soda.
Okay that ratio is good to know!

For me, however, it wouldn't be sustainable. I don't really like the idea of all that baking soda everyday. Would rather just eat low-antinutrient veggies and fruits.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

@OccamzRazer : i didn’t think to my diet this way, but yes, it’s exactly what works for me. Low PRAL and low carbs (with regular and moderate rice refeeds, which are also quite low PRAL)
When you described your diet in the other thread it made me think about this combo!

So far it also works for me, better than anything else I've ever tried. It's like the best of both worlds.

Jam

Yeah, that's a good point. Are you still doing low-ish carbs?

Also, I thought sugar was acidic...or is that just anti-sugar propaganda?
Nope, doing my regular "summer diet" 25P/50C/25F, 1.5% milk, orange juice, loads of fresh fruit, honey, some starch, olive oil, lean fish, red meat, liver. Once fall comes along I tend to start upping the saturated fat, but it warms me up way too much during the warmer months.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

One more question for you, if you don't mind: how often do you drink red wine? I'm guessing you get the high-quality stuff/organic red?

Yucca

I drink maybe 3-5 glasses/week. Only 1/meal. Most of times, it’s even a half glass with cheese (raw). Other drinks are kombucha and sometimes white wine (not often, mainly in summer)... and pure water, never softdrinks or beer (never). We can get high quality wine at good prices in France, so it’s not a problem.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

I drink maybe 3-5 glasses/week. Only 1/meal. Most of times, it’s even a half glass with cheese (raw). Other drinks are kombucha and sometimes white wine (not often, mainly in summer)... and pure water, never softdrinks or beer (never). We can get high quality wine at good prices in France, so it’s not a problem.
Awesome, thank you.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Nope, doing my regular "summer diet" 25P/50C/25F, 1.5% milk, orange juice, loads of fresh fruit, honey, some starch, olive oil, lean fish, red meat, liver. Once fall comes along I tend to start upping the saturated fat, but it warms me up way too much during the warmer months.
Nice, that makes sense. Seasonal eating in one way or another is the way to go.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals