Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?

animalcule

Have you lost a significant amount of weight? Say, 30+ lbs?

How did you do it?

I know this sounds like a basic question, and the obvious answer is to eat less. But I also know many people on this forum have struggled with their weight, and people write about trying everything from CICO, carnivore, no starch, low fat, etc... But I'd like to hear about some solid success stories, the methods used, the weight lost, and hold old you were when you lost it (plus whether or not you'd yo-yoed with your weight before.).

A couple of years ago I came off of the carnivore diet, dabbled with "all-in" eating and gained about 35 lbs. I stopped the 'all-in' eating mentality because I was horrified at how much weight I was gaining, but I still couldn't bring myself to restrict calories, in part because going 'all-in' had helped fix a decades long binge eating disorder and I didn't want to re-trigger it. I also had a very rigid food mentality and I thought it would be beneficial to keep trying to add more foods into my diet, like dairy. Now here I am, one very stressful year later, 25 lbs heavier. I need to lose this weight. For the past three weeks I've walked 5-6 miles a day, stopped eating dairy (my midsection quickly de-puffed and I became less irritable, so I'm not adding it back), and tried to eat moderately.... My weight is unchanged.

Now that I'm over 30 and I have a history of weight fluctuation, I know it will be more difficult to lose weight. In the past I had success with CICO, but it always triggered binges, and I got to the point where I couldn't lose weight unless I was working out everyday AND eating less than 1500 calories, going to bed feeling hungry almost every night. Going low carb/no carb is off the table.

So... any success stories? Hearing from anyone who managed to increase their metabolic rate would be good too.

Vileplume

I think the best and only healthy way to lose weight is by increasing energy production (body heat), and one achieves this by minimizing inflammation and increasing metabolism and thyroid function. I have lost about 20 pounds since June, and 3 inches or so from my waist, by increasing my calcium:phosphate ratio, taking a thyroid supplement, and trying vigilantly to remove every food source that didn't digest well: unripe fruit, starches, canned foods, citric acid, many supplements.

*knock on wood that the weight stays off*

superhappy

I've lost 40lbs since april this year. 1-2 grams of aspirin and 30mg progesterone helped me out the most. 2 issues I had when calorie restricting were not being able to fall asleep easily and waking up without any will to get up or even turn around in bed. I can easily fall asleep on 1800 calories + 400mg caffiene with aspirin and the progesterone stops your mood from going downhill. When I wake up I can bounce of bed and brush my teeth and do the daily routine without feeling groggy.

I also gained most of my weight from binge eating trying to fix my metabolism which was a mistake. I should have just ate stable amount of calories and just took thyroid to fix metabolism. Eating extra calories to fix metabolism just causes additional problems.

Vileplume

I've lost 40lbs since april this year. 1-2 grams of aspirin and 30mg progesterone helped me out the most. 2 issues I had when calorie restricting were not being able to fall asleep easily and waking up without any will to get up or even turn around in bed. I can easily fall asleep on 1800 calories + 400mg caffiene with aspirin and the progesterone stops your mood from going downhill. When I wake up I can bounce of bed and brush my teeth and do the daily routine without feeling groggy.

I also gained most of my weight from binge eating trying to fix my metabolism which was a mistake. I should have just ate stable amount of calories and just took thyroid to fix metabolism. Eating extra calories to fix metabolism just causes additional problems.
Which type of aspirin do you use?

OP
A

animalcule

I think the best and only healthy way to lose weight is by increasing energy production (body heat), and one achieves this by minimizing inflammation and increasing metabolism and thyroid function. I have lost about 20 pounds since June, and 3 inches or so from my waist, by increasing my calcium:phosphate ratio, taking a thyroid supplement, and trying vigilantly to remove every food source that didn't digest well: unripe fruit, starches, canned foods, citric acid, many supplements.

*knock on wood that the weight stays off*
What brand of thyroid/how much? What does your diet consist of now?

OP
A

animalcule

Yea, eating extra calories to fix metabolism was a mistake for me as well. Now I face the long road back of weight loss, and all the problems that come with it.

What do you eat now? Do you eat to satiety, or did you have to retrain your eating habits to reduce your calories below the refeed level?

Saba

How did you do it?

I know this sounds like a basic question, and the obvious answer is to eat less. But I also know many people on this forum have struggled with their weight, and people write about trying everything from CICO, carnivore, no starch, low fat, etc... But I'd like to hear about some solid success stories, the methods used, the weight lost, and hold old you were when you lost it (plus whether or not you'd yo-yoed with your weight before.).

A couple of years ago I came off of the carnivore diet, dabbled with "all-in" eating and gained about 35 lbs. I stopped the 'all-in' eating mentality because I was horrified at how much weight I was gaining, but I still couldn't bring myself to restrict calories, in part because going 'all-in' had helped fix a decades long binge eating disorder and I didn't want to re-trigger it. I also had a very rigid food mentality and I thought it would be beneficial to keep trying to add more foods into my diet, like dairy. Now here I am, one very stressful year later, 25 lbs heavier. I need to lose this weight. For the past three weeks I've walked 5-6 miles a day, stopped eating dairy (my midsection quickly de-puffed and I became less irritable, so I'm not adding it back), and tried to eat moderately.... My weight is unchanged.

Now that I'm over 30 and I have a history of weight fluctuation, I know it will be more difficult to lose weight. In the past I had success with CICO, but it always triggered binges, and I got to the point where I couldn't lose weight unless I was working out everyday AND eating less than 1500 calories, going to bed feeling hungry almost every night. Going low carb/no carb is off the table.

So... any success stories? Hearing from anyone who managed to increase their metabolic rate would be good too.
I lost 25 lbs. I lost most of it very suddenly after I dropped starches from my diet. I was already following Peat's advice for a few years and had lost a few pounds, but dropping starches triggered a massive, sudden weight loss.

I don't have a history of much weight fluctuation, though. I was always slim and then in my mid 30s I gained weight very suddenly from taking allergy shots. The weight stayed on for a few years. It came off after I figured out I was hypothyroid, implemented most of Peat's advice (including a thyroid supplement, progesterone, etc), and then finally stopped eating starches. Now I'm back to my high school weight.

I noticed you said going low carb is off the table. While I minimize starches, I consume tons of fruit, juice and sugar. In lieu of the bad starchy foods I eat tortillas, hominy and millet (which substitutes well for rice). This stops my cravings for starchy carbs.

Vileplume

What brand of thyroid/how much? What does your diet consist of now?
I use cynoplus, and I take 1.25 tablets per day, so 150mcg T4 and 37.5mcg T3. It's turning to fall where I live, and one tablet seemed to do just fine over summer, but I increased that final .25 last week.

Currently, my diet is a gallon per day of whole goat milk (A1 milk never digested well and constipated me), a quart of OJ, 6-7 tablespoons of sugar, 2 eggs per day, liver every few days, oysters every few days, and a daily carrot. The weight started to come off when I switched all my meat for goat milk, and when I added thyroid (both switches happened at once).

I currently eat more calories than I did last year, but I've lost weight despite that. I didn't expect to lose weight when I switched from meat to goat milk, I just did it by accident one day and I noticed that my adrenaline vanished by that afternoon. This thread also speculates a bit on why goat milk in particular might be helpful in weight loss. @Jennifer and @Jam mentioned losing weight, or leaning out a bit, on goat milk.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yea, eating extra calories to fix metabolism was a mistake for me as well.
I agree wholeheartedly and think it’s an easy trap to fall into when we’ve come from certain dieting backgrounds. I lost my first 35 pounds when we moved to the country and I started being much more active outdoors. I also just ate when I was hungry instead of worrying over my metabolism.

superhappy

Yea, eating extra calories to fix metabolism was a mistake for me as well. Now I face the long road back of weight loss, and all the problems that come with it.

What do you eat now? Do you eat to satiety, or did you have to retrain your eating habits to reduce your calories below the refeed level?
I am still cutting since my weightloss sort of slowed down this past month. I ate 2100 calories past 2 weeks and still lost a few pounds, gonna try to go down to 1800 again.
I drink 2 quarts of low fat milk with maple syrup, instant coffee, and cocoa powder. 2 kiwis, carrot salad, and 90g beef liver with like 10g coconut oil. I've been eating very low fat and have been taking aspirin so the idea that you have to burn fat to lose it seems pretty much bs to me, fat loss just boils down to calorie intake it seems.
The coffee and chocolate helps with the satiety, when I don't add it to the milk I feel hungry.
Important thing is that my temps are good and mood is good while cutting.

清貴杉山

after my "dirty" bulk i was 205 pounds,and rn after nearlt 6 months im 167 pounds,i just lowered the fats and a bit the carbs(depending on the day)and maintained high protein,i was working out nearly 5 times a week,walking a lot,mostly calisthenics,long pumping sessions,i literally not struggle 1 day to loose fat,my food selection was sharp and i was keeping my mind busy(thats pretty important too in a cut imo),now im doing maintenance ,back to a more peat approach to eat

Dr. B

I use cynoplus, and I take 1.25 tablets per day, so 150mcg T4 and 37.5mcg T3. It's turning to fall where I live, and one tablet seemed to do just fine over summer, but I increased that final .25 last week.

Currently, my diet is a gallon per day of whole goat milk (A1 milk never digested well and constipated me), a quart of OJ, 6-7 tablespoons of sugar, 2 eggs per day, liver every few days, oysters every few days, and a daily carrot. The weight started to come off when I switched all my meat for goat milk, and when I added thyroid (both switches happened at once).

I currently eat more calories than I did last year, but I've lost weight despite that. I didn't expect to lose weight when I switched from meat to goat milk, I just did it by accident one day and I noticed that my adrenaline vanished by that afternoon. This thread also speculates a bit on why goat milk in particular might be helpful in weight loss. @Jennifer and @Jam mentioned losing weight, or leaning out a bit, on goat milk.
do you think natural dessicated thyroid, like at forefront healths website would work. or does it need to be T4 and T3 without the presence of t1, t2, calcitonin, parathyroid and other things present in natural dessicated thyroid.
do you add those tablespoons of sugar to your milk, and what kind of sugar is it? wouldnt it be worth removing the eggs due to pufa content, and oyster due to toxin content, to potentially increase metabolism even more? replacing those with an ounce liver daily, plus a liter of coconut water every other day, and pink salt, should be enough to cover the trace minerals?

BirdWoman

I gained a lot of weight once I started a Peat diet and still gaining. The assumption that you can lose weight by eating more is false. Nothing I have done has helped, except super low calorie diet. Low carb helps control appetite.

Vileplume

do you think natural dessicated thyroid, like at forefront healths website would work. or does it need to be T4 and T3 without the presence of t1, t2, calcitonin, parathyroid and other things present in natural dessicated thyroid.
do you add those tablespoons of sugar to your milk, and what kind of sugar is it? wouldnt it be worth removing the eggs due to pufa content, and oyster due to toxin content, to potentially increase metabolism even more? replacing those with an ounce liver daily, plus a liter of coconut water every other day, and pink salt, should be enough to cover the trace minerals?
I think NDT would work great instead. Dr. Peat often mentions NDT as a great thyroid supplement, so I guess the only concern is if the product actually uses NDT. Peat mentioned how a lot of NDT products just use some isolated materials found in the gland, and pass those off as the actual desiccated gland. Does idealabs not ship to you? I think tyromax is your best bet for a reliable NDT.

I use organic cane sugar from Costco, Kirkland brand, and I add it to my milk and coffee. I enjoy eating the eggs, so even though I could probably drop the PUFA in them, for now I’ll probably keep them, and it helps me rest assured to know that even Peat eats eggs in the US. He eats one large, and I’ve heard him recommend eggs as “very good” in several interviews, so I think two is okay. At least they’re organic and pasture-raised.

Doesn’t the pink tint of pink salt actually come from some trace metals that could be toxic? I use Morton’s Pickling and Canning Salt, on Peat’s recommendation. Plus, every coconut water I find has either citric acid or ascorbic acid added. Do you know one without that stuff?

Dr. B

I think NDT would work great instead. Dr. Peat often mentions NDT as a great thyroid supplement, so I guess the only concern is if the product actually uses NDT. Peat mentioned how a lot of NDT products just use some isolated materials found in the gland, and pass those off as the actual desiccated gland. Does idealabs not ship to you? I think tyromax is your best bet for a reliable NDT.

I use organic cane sugar from Costco, Kirkland brand, and I add it to my milk and coffee. I enjoy eating the eggs, so even though I could probably drop the PUFA in them, for now I’ll probably keep them, and it helps me rest assured to know that even Peat eats eggs in the US. He eats one large, and I’ve heard him recommend eggs as “very good” in several interviews, so I think two is okay. At least they’re organic and pasture-raised.

Doesn’t the pink tint of pink salt actually come from some trace metals that could be toxic? I use Morton’s Pickling and Canning Salt, on Peat’s recommendation. Plus, every coconut water I find has either citric acid or ascorbic acid added. Do you know one without that stuff?
kirklands organic coconut water is pretty decent, its organic so the ascorbic acid could be higher quality? the amount is very small, isnt it like 6mg per 8oz cup of it, so 24mg per liter bottle. ascorbic acid should be a lot less allergenic than citric acid. if you really dont want additives then there is the whole foods brand coconut water, the organic one, youll end up paying more than costcos but it is organic and no additives. LIDL also sells organic coconut water, but it somehow tastes salty, not sweet. whole foods tastes good.
there are also the pink colored coconut waters made by harmless harvest and recently whole foods released it under their store brand name. those taste good but apparently somehow have a ton of phosphorus naturally occurring.
the pink is from iron oxide, its probably the best salt out there, if diet is low iron it could be useful.
have you tried duck eggs, and are your organic eggs from costco.
i havent looked into idealabs NDT, is it bovine gland or pork ? bovine has a much higher T3 to t4 ratio. also I thought idealabs NDT was just an extract of T4 and T3, not the whole gland?
i have looked into forefront healths thyroid glandular product... it looks decent, no idea if they process the thyroid right.

Vileplume

kirklands organic coconut water is pretty decent, its organic so the ascorbic acid could be higher quality? the amount is very small, isnt it like 6mg per 8oz cup of it, so 24mg per liter bottle. ascorbic acid should be a lot less allergenic than citric acid. if you really dont want additives then there is the whole foods brand coconut water, the organic one, youll end up paying more than costcos but it is organic and no additives. LIDL also sells organic coconut water, but it somehow tastes salty, not sweet. whole foods tastes good.
there are also the pink colored coconut waters made by harmless harvest and recently whole foods released it under their store brand name. those taste good but apparently somehow have a ton of phosphorus naturally occurring.
the pink is from iron oxide, its probably the best salt out there, if diet is low iron it could be useful.
have you tried duck eggs, and are your organic eggs from costco.
i havent looked into idealabs NDT, is it bovine gland or pork ? bovine has a much higher T3 to t4 ratio. also I thought idealabs NDT was just an extract of T4 and T3, not the whole gland?
i have looked into forefront healths thyroid glandular product... it looks decent, no idea if they process the thyroid right.
Idealabs NDT is pork, but some people on this forum report a lot of success with it. Personally I prefer bovine, like you. Forefront health might be worth a shot, and lifegivingstore also has a bovine NDT product that raised my heart rate significantly (although I felt like I got hot flashes with it, just like I did with tyromax).

My organic eggs are from costco, and no I haven't tried duck eggs although I definitely would like to. I can't wait to have a farm one day, where I can feed my chickens fruit and masa scraps and other tasty low-pufa scraps.

Thanks for that information about coconut waters and pink salt.

Dr. B

Idealabs NDT is pork, but some people on this forum report a lot of success with it. Personally I prefer bovine, like you. Forefront health might be worth a shot, and lifegivingstore also has a bovine NDT product that raised my heart rate significantly (although I felt like I got hot flashes with it, just like I did with tyromax).

My organic eggs are from costco, and no I haven't tried duck eggs although I definitely would like to. I can't wait to have a farm one day, where I can feed my chickens fruit and masa scraps and other tasty low-pufa scraps.

Thanks for that information about coconut waters and pink salt.
if its just chickens or a singular milking goat couldnt you keep it in the backyard? shouldnt be too much maintenance?

HLP

How did you do it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals