Weight Gain - What Is The Answer?

Sadcaptain

I come from a history of high weight (junk food) since my late teens - which I eventually lost in my 30's via low carbing. Obviously this made me feel terrible and messed up my metabolism but for the first time I was a 'healthy weight'. Although I stopped low carbing about a year ago my weight remained pretty steady following a low calorie diet (but my sleep and libido were through the floor).

Since Peating although I feel 400x better all I've done is gain weight, at a terrible rate (3lb + a week). My temp is low (averages about 97), and I can't seem to increase it no matter what I do, but Thyroid tests have shown normal TSH.

I'm completely confused about where I'm supposed to go from here. My heart tells me to carry on Peating because of how good I feel but the mirror, my wardrobe and my wife are screaming STOP!

I was considering returning to calorie counting just to get some of this weight off but I simply refuse to accept that a 5'7 40yr old man is suppose to exist on ~1200 calories a day (based on TDEE calculators etc) to lose a pound or 2 of weight a week (if I'm lucky). I've been there before and was so miserable and hungry. I feel so much better eating more/properly but I'm going to be 300lbs at this rate and that can't be good for anyone

I have seen threads on here of people eating 3000 calories plus a day yet not being obese but for me it seems there are 2 simple choices - eat well and feel good but gain lots of weight, or eat nothing and feel terrible to get to a 'normal' weight - there must be an easier way??

Please, what is the answer?!

squanch

How are you supposed to know how much you currently eat and where your TDEE even is if you don't count calories? A TDEE calculator is completely worthless.
Also what do you actually eat at the moment?

About the low carb thing (or the inevitable low fat that someone is going to suggest here soon enough):
I've both deliberately gained and lost weight on all kinds of macro nutrient ratios and came to the conclusion that there really isn't much of a difference unless you go to the extreme ends of the spectrum (ketosis or a "fat deficient" diet)

Last edited:
OP
S

Sadcaptain

currently eat / drink:
Daily: Milk (2%), OJ, Cheese (low fat where viable), fruit, various meats
A few times a week: Potatoes, chocolate (square or 2), ice cream, coke, sourdough bread

Taking Vitamin C, B vitamins, pregnenolone (makes me feel great), lysine

ketosis is the only thing that has ever really worked for me in terms of weight loss (but i feel like crap)
eating around 3000 calories a day is the only thing that has worked in terms of feeling good, sleeping well, and having a sex drive (but the weight piles on)

Used to be a runner but now just walk - around 4-5 hours a week

squanch

currently eat / drink:
Daily: Milk (2%), OJ, Cheese (low fat where viable), fruit, various meats
A few times a week: Potatoes, chocolate (square or 2), ice cream, coke, sourdough bread

Taking Vitamin C, B vitamins, pregnenolone (makes me feel great), lysine

ketosis is the only thing that has ever really worked for me in terms of weight loss (but i feel like crap)
eating around 3000 calories a day is the only thing that has worked in terms of feeling good, sleeping well, and having a sex drive (but the weight piles on)

Used to be a runner but now just walk - around 4-5 hours a week
Just my personal experience and observation on this forum:
The stereotypical OJ + milk diet doesn't work for a lot of people, especially during a cold winter (just to many fluids).
If you digest starches fine, why not eat potatoes every day. Replace some (or all) of the milk with high quality cheese. This should really bring up those temps and improve sleep.
That diet also looks deficient in zinc, which could explain the low libido once you lower the calories.

Sepulchrave

Apply the principles of Ayurveda to Ray Peat's suggestions.

Cut down on the milk, meat, liquids, and fat.

J

jb116

I come from a history of high weight (junk food) since my late teens - which I eventually lost in my 30's via low carbing. Obviously this made me feel terrible and messed up my metabolism but for the first time I was a 'healthy weight'. Although I stopped low carbing about a year ago my weight remained pretty steady following a low calorie diet (but my sleep and libido were through the floor).

Since Peating although I feel 400x better all I've done is gain weight, at a terrible rate (3lb + a week). My temp is low (averages about 97), and I can't seem to increase it no matter what I do, but Thyroid tests have shown normal TSH.

I'm completely confused about where I'm supposed to go from here. My heart tells me to carry on Peating because of how good I feel but the mirror, my wardrobe and my wife are screaming STOP!

I was considering returning to calorie counting just to get some of this weight off but I simply refuse to accept that a 5'7 40yr old man is suppose to exist on ~1200 calories a day (based on TDEE calculators etc) to lose a pound or 2 of weight a week (if I'm lucky). I've been there before and was so miserable and hungry. I feel so much better eating more/properly but I'm going to be 300lbs at this rate and that can't be good for anyone

I have seen threads on here of people eating 3000 calories plus a day yet not being obese but for me it seems there are 2 simple choices - eat well and feel good but gain lots of weight, or eat nothing and feel terrible to get to a 'normal' weight - there must be an easier way??

Please, what is the answer?!
You forgot the 3rd option:
Eat well and feel good, gain lots [or some] weight and then be patient as weight starts to come off slowly.

OP
S

Sadcaptain

The third is obviously my preferred option, that's why I started down this road initially. I'm just terrified because each time I step on the scale there's a higher number. It seems like 2 years of pain and progress (in terms of weight loss) has been wasted. If I could be reassured the weight loss would happen as you say I may take it better but searches in the forum don't show up many positive results in this area ☹️

J

jb116

The third is obviously my preferred option, that's why I started down this road initially. I'm just terrified because each time I step on the scale there's a higher number. It seems like 2 years of pain and progress (in terms of weight loss) has been wasted. If I could be reassured the weight loss would happen as you say I may take it better but searches in the forum don't show up many positive results in this area ☹️
Honestly I see a lot of impatience, usually. It took me almost 2 years to shed about 10 lbs of fat, back to my more normal self and it just stayed off.