CLASH

@raypeatclips
Havent seen you recently. How has the high fat been going? Are you participating in another forum geared towards higher fat now?

DaveFoster

I think it is decent (but not conclusive) suggestion that carbs are indeed healthier when consumed in higher amounts. This is in contrast to the other 2 macronutrients that seem to quickly become pathological if consumed beyond a certain percentage of diet.
Do you suppose that, if white potatoes were consumed in place of sweet potatoes, there would be a different outcome for the Okinawans with regard to their longevity?

pauljacob

I think anything more than a little fat will activate the Randle Cycle and that will cause temporary insulin resistance, although small amounts of saturated fats actually stimulate carbohydrate oxidation. Olive oil isn't low in PUFA and there is quite a lot of variation between brands and also regarding where the circumstances of the plants that produced the olives. As far as I know, the PUFA content can be anywhere from 6,5% all the way to 11%, and I think I read once that some have even as much as 20% PUFA. Polyunsaturated fats inhibit an enzyme called pyruvate dehydrogenase, which is one of the main enzymes in carbohydrate metabolism. Also, PUFAs are know to cause hyperglycemia and are harmful to the beta-cells of the pancreas, so it both makes you insulin resistant and lowers the production of insulin. Also, I'm very suspicious of olive oil nowadays, since, unless you send some of the olive oil you're using to analysis, you can't really know if it was cut with soybean oil or corn oil.

Ray has said that around 100 mg of niacinamide a few times a day helps with sugar metabolism. I personally use a little more: 250 mg twice a day, with an additional 125mg before bed for a total of 625 mg per day, but at the beggining this was too much for me. I would say following Ray's recommendations and increasing it over time if you feel it's necessary is a good plan. I open up the capsule and just use the amount that I want. I don't measure it exactly, I just go by the logic that if a whole capsule is 500 mg, then one forth is 125mg, half is 250mg and so on.

What medicine do you take for blood pressure?

Be careful with multi-vitamins; in my country, they often contain iron, which is another thing that can cause insulin resistance. Iron from supplements is differentfrom iron found in meats and fruits. The iron use to fortify foods and which they also put in supplements is a very powerful irritant to the digestive organs, and, considering that anything that irritates the gut produces a lot of serotonin, which also inhibits carb metabolism, I think avoiding this type of iron is very important.

Avocados are a big source of PUFA. They are similar to olive oil with regards to fatty acid composition, but with less variation, as far as I know. According to self nutrition data, one avocado has almost 4 grams of PUFA, so two avocados a day is almost 8 grams of PUFA. If one uses a lot of olive oil( say, 100 mL per day), we can potentially be looking at an intake of nearly 20 grams of PUFA day. That definitely will have a bad impact on carbohydrate oxidation, liver health, tolerance to stress etc.

Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties Nutrition Facts & Calories

Aside from the avocados though, potatoes, bananas and apricots are great both from a nutrient point of view( lots of carbs, potassium, b-vitamins, magnesium) and also from a PUFA point of view( these foods are very low in PUFA, even when eaten in big quantities). Replacing the avocados with prunes, dates, apples, pears or melons would provide some fructose to more easily oxidize the starch in the potatoes and bananas.

Finally, taurine can help with increasing carb tolerance and also liver glycogen, so it pairs very well with a high carb diet. Even as little as 500 mg per day can have great effects.

Thank you Rafael Lao Wai, for your very helpful reply, and I apologize for not replying sooner since life demands made me forget about this thread. To answer your question about my BP, I take Olmesartan/HCTZ 20-12.5 mg. I take a once a day B-complex pill which contains 25 mg of Niacin as Niacinamide, so I'll break open a Niacinamide pill and follow your method. I also thank you for alerting me to the Iron in multi supplements, I'll find one without it.
As to Olive Oil, I used it all my life and that's why I know that I haven't had real EVOO for past 20 years, even though I buy and use it daily. I've reduced Olive oil use and increase organic Coconut Oil use, but I suspect this oil might gradually be compromised like Olive oil. I will reduce my Avocado intake to just one a day.
Thank your for your input.

b555

Interesting a diet high in starch, low in fat, protein, low in SALT, low in sugar, calcium.

also TSIMANE healthiest hearts, have a some what similar diet... nothing like the peat approach.

Bogdar

Has it been said that it was a mistake, and Okinawan diet isn't about potatoes but mainly pork?
Studies about their diet have been made after WW2 when all their porks have been killed so they had to grow potatoes in the meantime.
Their centenarians lived off pork and not potatoes

Ginali

Forum Supporter
I know someone who has eaten mostly carbs throughout her life: sugar with carbs, salt with carbs, and she hated proteins and starch. She looks amazing, with an incredible lean body. She's 50 years old and recently had to undergo a liver transplantation. It's terrible. I don't have any knowledge in biology and chemistry, but this post is definitely right—you lose weight on a high-carb diet, but your liver suffers. I know this from personal experience and from others who love milk and milk products. We tend to have a 'little bit more fat' around our tummies. Look at the French people; they eat bread with everything and remain lean, looking very good.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals