yerrag

Ok I guess I’m just pointing out that foods that are higher up on the glycemic index can in fact end up triggering fat gains because they are going to raise the blood glucose more, so you might not use the glycemic index as your guide, but I don’t think it’s moot because you do have to be careful how you eat your starches if you’re going to eat them. That was why I posted about the glycemic index values of boiled vs. baked sweet potatoes. Of course, if those same baked sweet potatoes are cooled, they also have a lower glycemic index value.
Yes, that will happen. But I had to share my experience that glycemic index is irrelevant when your body can absorb and metabolize sugar well. I fixed my sugar metabolism, and I switched back from eating brown rice to white rice, which is high in glycemic index. I am no less healthy eat white rice. Eating white rice proves my body is healthy, in the sugar balance sense of it. It is the body we need to fix, not to blame the highly glycemic nature of some carbs. If we accept the latter, we won't be finding ways to fix our body. We would stay stuck at a state that does not maximize our metabolism. And our full development.

Jackrabbit

Yes, that will happen. But I had to share my experience that glycemic index is irrelevant when your body can absorb and metabolize sugar well. I fixed my sugar metabolism, and I switched back from eating brown rice to white rice, which is high in glycemic index. I am no less healthy eat white rice. Eating white rice proves my body is healthy, in the sugar balance sense of it. It is the body we need to fix, not to blame the highly glycemic nature of some carbs. If we accept the latter, we won't be finding ways to fix our body. We would stay stuck at a state that does not maximize our metabolism. And our full development.
I eat white rice and I’m fine, but I don’t think it’s good for the gut, unless you have very fast transit times. And brown and white rice don’t have a huge gap in glycemic index values: 73 vs. 68

yerrag

I eat white rice and I’m fine, but I don’t think it’s good for the gut, unless you have very fast transit times. And brown and white rice don’t have a huge gap in glycemic index values: 73 vs. 68
The difference might seem negligible but it isn't. You're basing it on the feel of numbers. I'm basing it on the feel of personal experience. Brown rice made me go between meals with no sugar lows where white rice did, and that makes a big difference. That was when I had faulty sugar absorption and metabolism.

Fat synthesis from carbohydrate is actually very small, even when you ingest a massive quantity of it all at once. I saw a study showing that even 500 grams of carbs all at once only generated about 2 grams of fat, all of which is saturated. More specifically, this fat is palmitic acid, which has many benefits, one of which is to stimulate the oxidation of even more carbs. Even fructose, which is probably the most lipogenic sugar, doesn't generate very much fat. Only 1% of it turns into fat.

Hairfedup

In case anyone's interested ...
Sweet potato (in US, maybe aka yam):
Sweet potato - Wikipedia
Can have various coloured flesh: whitish, golden, orange or purple that I know of.
(One of the staples in Papua New Guinea, along with taro, I think.)

Yam:
Yam (vegetable) - Wikipedia
Edible tubers from plants of the dioscorea family. Some of them have steroidal saponins. This is the family from which comes the wild yam they extract diosgenin to make progesterone etc out of.

Also not to be confused with other tubers:
Oca/Oxalis tuberosa/New Zealand yam:
Oxalis tuberosa - Wikipedia

Taro
Colocasia esculenta - Wikipedia
Along with the sweet potato above, this is one of the staples in PNG, about which there was brief discussion with Peat (some mix up with potatoes - I don't think they traditionally eat many spuds).

Cassava/manioc/yuca:
Cassava - Wikipedia
Has to prepared properly to deal with anti-thyroid chemicals. Second only to regular spuds as a global staple tuber. (Sweet potatoes come 3rd, yams 4th.)

Hey Tara....in regards to cassava...can you elaborate on the anti-thyroid chemicals? Its part of my traditional diet and all we pretty much do is boil or steam them (before pounding or frying usually). I'm definitely gonna cut back if they negatively affect the thyroid.

tara

Hey Tara....in regards to cassava...can you elaborate on the anti-thyroid chemicals? Its part of my traditional diet and all we pretty much do is boil or steam them (before pounding or frying usually). I'm definitely gonna cut back if they negatively affect the thyroid.
I read the wikipedia page - you can do the same. No doubt there is more to be read on the subject if you want to follow it up. Could be that your boiling, pounding, frying methods deal with much of it.

Hairfedup

I read the wikipedia page - you can do the same. No doubt there is more to be read on the subject if you want to follow it up. Could be that your boiling, pounding, frying methods deal with much of it.

OK thank you. Seems the most anti-thyroid strain are the bitter cassava...we mostly eat the sweeter variety. Still, soaking them for a few days might be beneficial.

Mufasa

I have increasing my carb consumption since some months. I believe that high starch + high sugar diets give me the best results now.

I eat around 200-300 gram of carb from starch (sourdough bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, oats), 100-200g carb from fruit (tropical fruits) and 100g carb from dairy (mostly skyr with milk powder).

I feel I have never been more creative/productive at work and I enjoy that a lot.

Historical records show Okinawans consumed a lot of pork, the only time their pork consumption decreased was due to WW2 when American troops killed half of the Okinawan population and most of the 100,000 hoof livestock to stop Japanese troops from surviving on the islands.

In the 10 years after WW2, the US military restricted Okinawans from fishing, hunting and farming for foods, that caused a serious food shortage crisis for the Okinawans. It was at that time the US government conducted a dietary survey on Okinawans, Willcox uses that survey for his lying "Okinawa Sweet Potato Longevity Diet" scam!

For many centuries Okinawa was famous for its traditional pork cuisine so much that for centuries it's traditional nickname was "Islands of Pork"!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how much Okinawans loved their pork and how important pork was to them.

In September 1948, the immigrants shipped 550 White pigs back to Okinawa to help the island, which had been devastated a few years earlier by the Battle of Okinawa, deal with severe food shortages. The pigs, which are easy to breed because of their high fertility rate, are believed to have helped ward off starvation for many Okinawans.

Hawaii pig shipment after the war to be memorialized in Okinawa | The Japan Times

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J

jb116

Historical records show Okinawans consumed a lot of pork, the only time their pork consumption decreased was due to WW2 when American troops killed half of the Okinawan population and most of the 100,000 hoof livestock to stop Japanese troops from surviving on the islands.

In the 10 years after WW2, the US military restricted Okinawans from fishing, hunting and farming for foods, that caused a serious food shortage crisis for the Okinawans. It was at that time the US government conducted a dietary survey on Okinawans, Willcox uses that survey for his lying "Okinawa Sweet Potato Longevity Diet" scam!

For many centuries Okinawa was famous for its traditional pork cuisine so much that for centuries it's traditional nickname was "Islands of Pork"!

This is how much Okinawans loved their pork and how important pork was to them.

In September 1948, the immigrants shipped 550 White pigs back to Okinawa to help the island, which had been devastated a few years earlier by the Battle of Okinawa, deal with severe food shortages. The pigs, which are easy to breed because of their high fertility rate, are believed to have helped ward off starvation for many Okinawans.

Hawaii pig shipment after the war to be memorialized in Okinawa | The Japan Times

Still in no way entails there wasn't a high carb diet involved, only that the fact of high pork consumption was left out.

Dr. Willcoxs used a 1950 US government report that contains a 1949 survey on Okinawan dietary statistics, at that time most Okinawans were confined in temporary intern camps imposed by the US military, Okinawa was in complete ruin due to WW2, meat supply was low, even the US military had meat shortage, most of their meat is in the form of SPAM canned meat, but Willcox portrays 1949 dietary data was responsible for longevity in Okinawan people, it's like Adolf Hitler claimed that Jews had high IQ because of their starvation diet in German Nazi concentration camps.

Before WW2, Okinawans didn't normally eat that kind of postwar era starvation diet that consists of mostly sweet potatoes, this is something Willcox invented and tries to fool people with. The Okinawan sweet potato diet is a myth invented by lying vegan cult promoter Dr. Willcox. In postwar sweet potatoes were Okinawans only abundant food source because sweet potatoes easily grow wildly everywhere on the islands.

There has never been any clinical study done on sweet potato consumption in relation to human life span, but without any scientific evidence Willcox the fraudster concluded that sweet potato was the cause of longevity in Okinawans. UN data reveals countries with high sweet potato consumption but have shorter life span than countries that consume little or no sweet potato. India is one of world's largest consumers of sweet potato, but it has short life expectancy and very poor health index.

This makes WIllcox's fabrication of Okinawan sweet potato "longetivty diet" very unethical and misleading, because low-calorie sweet potato diet wasn't what the Okinawans traditionally ate before WW2.

Even Willcox doesn't deny the fact that Okinawans quickly dropped eating sweet potatoes as meat and other food supplies resumed. Even in the paper by Willcox it showed a chart for Okinawan sweet potato consumption dropped 90% from 1950 to 1960, in only a period of 10 years or so. If Okinawans loved sweet potato so much why did they drop it so fast?

Since 1960 to current, a period of 55 years, the per capita sweet potato consumption in Okinawa has been very low, only about 3% of their diet (was 60% in 1949), while their pork consumption increased more than sweet potato consumption , but their life expectancy didn't drop, it has been on rapid increase since 1960.

Before WW2, Okinawa was known to had highest pork consumption in Japan. Today's Japan as a whole has higher pork consumption than Okinawa, many other prefectures in Japan have higher pork consumption than Okinawa, their life expectancy is longer than Okinawa's.

The quantity of pork consumption per person a year in Okinawa is larger than that of the Japanese national average. For example, the quantity of pork consumption per person a year in Okinawa in 1979 exceeded by about 50% that of the Japanese national average.

Now you are seeing the truth that Okinawa suffered food shortage crisis during 1949. So why does Willcoxs use 1949 data to mislead people into thinking the poor diet of mostly sweet potato is the cause of long life span in Okinawans?

A proper scientific study must use official data of life span trend decade by decade and/or year by year, actual official food consumption statistics of item by item in precise amount per person within a certain period during the entire period in the study. Okinawa Diet study by WIllcox has extremely little amount of data, and those data are not reliable and applicable because they were of the war and postwar time period, that can reflect the diet Okinawans ate before WW2.

Hairfedup

Dr. Willcoxs used a 1950 US government report that contains a 1949 survey on Okinawan dietary statistics, at that time most Okinawans were confined in temporary intern camps imposed by the US military, Okinawa was in complete ruin due to WW2, meat supply was low, even the US military had meat shortage, most of their meat is in the form of SPAM canned meat, but Willcox portrays 1949 dietary data was responsible for longevity in Okinawan people, it's like Adolf Hitler claimed that Jews had high IQ because of their starvation diet in German Nazi concentration camps.

Before WW2, Okinawans didn't normally eat that kind of postwar era starvation diet that consists of mostly sweet potatoes, this is something Willcox invented and tries to fool people with. The Okinawan sweet potato diet is a myth invented by lying vegan cult promoter Dr. Willcox. In postwar sweet potatoes were Okinawans only abundant food source because sweet potatoes easily grow wildly everywhere on the islands.

There has never been any clinical study done on sweet potato consumption in relation to human life span, but without any scientific evidence Willcox the fraudster concluded that sweet potato was the cause of longevity in Okinawans. UN data reveals countries with high sweet potato consumption but have shorter life span than countries that consume little or no sweet potato. India is one of world's largest consumers of sweet potato, but it has short life expectancy and very poor health index.

This makes WIllcox's fabrication of Okinawan sweet potato "longetivty diet" very unethical and misleading, because low-calorie sweet potato diet wasn't what the Okinawans traditionally ate before WW2.

Even Willcox doesn't deny the fact that Okinawans quickly dropped eating sweet potatoes as meat and other food supplies resumed. Even in the paper by Willcox it showed a chart for Okinawan sweet potato consumption dropped 90% from 1950 to 1960, in only a period of 10 years or so. If Okinawans loved sweet potato so much why did they drop it so fast?

Since 1960 to current, a period of 55 years, the per capita sweet potato consumption in Okinawa has been very low, only about 3% of their diet (was 60% in 1949), while their pork consumption increased more than sweet potato consumption , but their life expectancy didn't drop, it has been on rapid increase since 1960.

Before WW2, Okinawa was known to had highest pork consumption in Japan. Today's Japan as a whole has higher pork consumption than Okinawa, many other prefectures in Japan have higher pork consumption than Okinawa, their life expectancy is longer than Okinawa's.

The quantity of pork consumption per person a year in Okinawa is larger than that of the Japanese national average. For example, the quantity of pork consumption per person a year in Okinawa in 1979 exceeded by about 50% that of the Japanese national average.

Now you are seeing the truth that Okinawa suffered food shortage crisis during 1949. So why does Willcoxs use 1949 data to mislead people into thinking the poor diet of mostly sweet potato is the cause of long life span in Okinawans?

A proper scientific study must use official data of life span trend decade by decade and/or year by year, actual official food consumption statistics of item by item in precise amount per person within a certain period during the entire period in the study. Okinawa Diet study by WIllcox has extremely little amount of data, and those data are not reliable and applicable because they were of the war and postwar time period, that can reflect the diet Okinawans ate before WW2.

Extremely interesting but weren't the same benefits of a high-sweet potato carb-based diet found in the peoples of Papua New Guinea (?)...and isn't pork suboptimal for health?

According to self nutriton data, even a pound of lean pork has only 2,5 grams of PUFA( which isn't a small amount, but it isn't a very big amount either), along with a big amount of minerals and vitamins, as well as quality protein.

B

Braveheart

interesting information

B

Braveheart

According to self nutriton data, even a pound of lean pork has only 2,5 grams of PUFA( which isn't a small amount, but it isn't a very big amount either), along with a big amount of minerals and vitamins, as well as quality protein.
isn't pork the most popular/eaten meat in the world?