Neeters 27

Here's the problem with high carb low protein: eventually your body gets tired of spitting out all that insulin for every meal, and then you become insulin resistant, and type 2 diabetes ensues. especially if you dont eat fats. this ridiculous high starch diet called the "starch solution" is a joke.

InChristAlone

Here's the problem with high carb low protein: eventually your body gets tired of spitting out all that insulin for every meal, and then you become insulin resistant, and type 2 diabetes ensues. especially if you dont eat fats. this ridiculous high starch diet called the "starch solution" is a joke.
Is there any proof high carb low fat causes insulin resistance?

Gânico

I think the human milk macro distribution is a good reference for the best ratios. Low protein, moderate sat.fat and high carbs.

Sherbert

Yeah, if the environment cannot be changed much then, as Peat said, supplements would be the only recourse left. I used to take a lot of supplements on a daily basis but now I am down to using niacinamide, aspirin and MB several times a week and that's pretty much it. Cyproheptadine, pregnenolone/progesterone/DHEA/thyroid are all used sporadically, only as needed. But I actually took the risk and quit my job as hired labor, so my environment did change a bit for the better. If I had stayed in my old job I would have probably still used a lot of supplements on a daily basis.
As far as starches, I basically avoid almost all of them unless that is the only food available. If I do have to eat them I stick to potatoes/rice, but most of my sugar comes from sucrose from juices and Coke/Pepsi.
surprise d you don't take d..
#vitamind #d3 #vitamind3 #raypeat

A recent study posted on the forum claimed that low carb is better for weight loss than other diets.
Low Carb More Effective In Weight Loss Than High Carb?

But the key question which so far most dieting studies ignore is this. Is the diet actually improving health and increasing lifespan? Lower BMI is not always tied to good health.
I am glad you said this, as I have said it often too, that weight loss does not equal good health. There are innumerable ways to lose weight, eating only Twinkies, high fat keto, the Lemonade Diet and even having cancer. Eating optimally and avoiding PUFA’s with sugar sources all day long is the only “diet” that has given me the best of both worlds, great health and a great figure.

mamakitty

A recent study posted on the forum claimed that low carb is better for weight loss than other diets.
Low Carb More Effective In Weight Loss Than High Carb?

But the key question which so far most dieting studies ignore is this. Is the diet actually improving health and increasing lifespan? Lower BMI is not always tied to good health. Unfortunately, getting people to lose weight at any cost (usually by chronic fasting) seems to be the primary goal of medicine. Very little to no consideration is given to the idea that maybe other factors are at play in determining the overall effects of diet on health and lifespan. For instance, the idea that it is probably endotoxin that is the primary cause of aging associated with diet, and reducing its levels may be the main benefits of dieting.
The Benefits Of Fasting Are Due To Lowering Endotoxin (LPS), Not Less Calories

As such, changing the macronutrients can provide the same benefit without making people starve themselves which damages immune function and destroys lean tissue and metabolism in the long run. It has been known for a long time that reducing fat and protein levels in the diet while consuming carbs liberally can keep weight stable or even reduce it despite massive increase in caloric intake. This is certainly a sign of lower endotoxin as it is the endotoxin that is the primary reason behind weight gain.
Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain

Along those lines, below is yet another study which confirms that the benefits of caloric restriction probably have nothing to do with the lower caloric intake per se but with reduced burden of metabolic waste. The study found that reduced protein (and fat) but liberal carb intake provides the same health and longevity benefits as fasting. The study used casein as protein and starch as the source of carbs, but I think sucrose and ripe fruit (as per the Coke study above) could be even a better sources of carbs and reduce endotoxin even more. The fact that casein was used as protein source probably also contributed to the beneficial effects due to casein's anti-stress and anti-estrogenic effects. The amount of protein used in the diet was about 9%-10%. I think this level of protein may work well for people over 65 but younger people should probably shoot for no less than 15% protein in their diet as they can digest and assimilate the protein better while order people convert most of it to ammonia and/or feed the gut bacteria with the undigested remains.
So, no need for calorie counting or self-torture. Just drink orange juice liberally as your main source of calories :): And and lest I forget, OJ itself lower endotoxin in humans.
Orange Juice Neutralizes The Proinflammatory Effect Of A HFHC Meal And Prevents Endotoxin Increase

Now I understand why every kind that has tried it seems to lust after a meal of OJ+cheese, and refuses to touch the peanut butter sandwiches after that. Kids know their food.

Comparing the Effects of Low-Protein and High-Carbohydrate Diets and Caloric Restriction on Brain Aging in Mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Low-protein high-carb diet shows promise for healthy brain aging

"...Low-protein high-carbohydrate diets may be the key to longevity, and healthy brain ageing in particular, according to a new mice study from the University of Sydney. Published today in Cell Reports, the research from the University's Charles Perkins Centre shows improvements in overall health and brain health, as well as learning and memory in mice that were fed an unrestricted low protein high carbohydrate diet. "There are currently no effective pharmaceutical treatments for dementia - we can slow these diseases, but we can't stop them - so it's exciting that we are starting to identify diets that are impacting how the brain ages," said lead author and PhD candidate Devin Wahl. The research shows for the first time that unrestricted low-protein, high-carbohydrate diets have similar protective benefits for the brain as calorie restriction, which is well known for its longevity benefits although not sustainable in humans. "We have close to 100 years of quality research extolling the benefits of calorie restriction as the most powerful diet to improve brain health and delay the onset of neurodegenerative disease in rodents," said Mr Wahl. "However, the majority of people have a hard time restricting calories, especially in Western societies where food is so freely available. "It shows a lot of promise that we have been able to replicate the same kind of gene changes in the part of the brain responsible for memory that we also see when we severely restrict calories," said Mr Wahl."

"...For the current study, researchers fed the mice complex carbohydrates derived from starch, and casein protein which is found in cheese and milk. To assess the brain benefits of the diet the researchers focused on the hippocampus, the region of the brain responsible for learning and memory."
Brad Marshall is experimenting with this right now and his blood markers may have improved

Overton

Brad Marshall is experimenting with this right now and his blood markers may have improved
Have been following this too, pretty interesting. Seems he's on a track finding that the benefits of low protein are specifically in restricting bcaa, so can still eat glycine and collagen rich proteins like broth, chicarones, oxtail, tendon, etc and still see improvements to resting blood sugar.

Interesting side note, he favors starch and highlights how much bcaa/protein you get from grain/potato when eating high carb this way, so focuses on yuca and other low protein starches.

I looked up a food calculator for amino acid ratios of some grains and saw oat bran/wheat bran were much less bcaa dominant than their grain counterparts, and got me wondering if Peat was on a similar thread towards the end when he cut protein intake and ate more oat bran.

Osukhan

ive also been following along with Brad's blog, i just cant bring myself to get that low on protein.... must be the bro-science in me....
i do like all his blog posts on stearic acid, so will see maybe ill try it down the road...

mamakitty

Have been following this too, pretty interesting. Seems he's on a track finding that the benefits of low protein are specifically in restricting bcaa, so can still eat glycine and collagen rich proteins like broth, chicarones, oxtail, tendon, etc and still see improvements to resting blood sugar.

Interesting side note, he favors starch and highlights how much bcaa/protein you get from grain/potato when eating high carb this way, so focuses on yuca and other low protein starches.

I looked up a food calculator for amino acid ratios of some grains and saw oat bran/wheat bran were much less bcaa dominant than their grain counterparts, and got me wondering if Peat was on a similar thread towards the end when he cut protein intake and ate more oat bran.
Yeah, I’m following his progress. I understand the points he’s making but it’s really hard to eat yuca pancakes or glass noodles every day. It’s not foods I grew up with so I don’t think I can do it. But I have been trying to limit meat and see if that leads to weight loss. I also upped my gelatin intake and broths too. But going high carb without potatoes and grains is really hard.

Peat may have been on a similar thread toward the end of his life, but many would question if that ended up shortening his life? We may never know.

I’m watching Brad’s results so far and he presents good data.

mamakitty

ive also been following along with Brad's blog, i just cant bring myself to get that low on protein.... must be the bro-science in me....
i do like all his blog posts on stearic acid, so will see maybe ill try it down the road...
I understand what you are saying. We have been told for so long now that we need so much protein, and that may even be correct. Bc the opposite, low protein, sounds like the current zeitgeist and a vegan propaganda for nefarious reasons.
I don’t want to throw the baby with the bath water tho, so I’m following his progress till we get more results.

Osukhan

I understand what you are saying. We have been told for so long now that we need so much protein, and that may even be correct. Bc the opposite, low protein, sounds like the current zeitgeist and a vegan propaganda for nefarious reasons.
I don’t want to throw the baby with the bath water tho, so I’m following his progress till we get more results.
Im coming from more from a carnivore eating style and I still would only say im transitioning to more of a pro-metabolic/animal based approached. so eating 200-300g of protein has been no problem for me, actually getting more carbs has...
seeing how many have had success with high protein animal based approach it will be hard for me to drop to a low protein style