I Tried Out Every Diet Under The Sun. Here I Share What I Learned

OP
thingsvarious

thingsvarious

I feel stupider with less carbs
Well, depends on how much your nervous system is keto adapted. Once it is, cutting carbs to very low level should pose no problem to "feeling stupider", although I do not recommend going too low in carbs

Cloudhands

I tried some of the things, but many things I personally find to be missing the forest for the trees (e.g. O6)
What foods do you eat to achieve this diet? Many monounstaturated fatty acid rich foods come packed with omega 6 fatty acids as well

PurpleHeart

MeAt Is BaD FoR tHe EnViRonMeNt is a vegan meme, eating local pasture raised animals is the best thing for the environment, eating GMO soy with a shitload of pesticides, fungisides and insectisides, and eating foods that have to come from the other side of the world inside a plastic box is what is bad for the environment.

Dude, you are in your 20s, you haven't had time to properly try "every diet under the sun".
Even if you did, you probably wouldn't have had the chance to see how they work on anyone else than yourself.

What you did is build a "knowledge" based on blogs suck as Chris Kesser's and Mark Sisson's, and paroting them in the hope of getting some sort of validation because deep down you are unsure of what actually works.

You trump no one here, this is a forum to share what works in real life.
He's a typical doctor ... thinks he knows everything about health cuz he could cram for / pass some stupid exams that any doofus who put the time and effort into it could

Why the block capitals?

Its not for you, or anyone, to determine a diet that works well for everyone. Under any circumstances.
This x 1000.

Sefton10

This original post I think highlights a big issue on this forum and the nutrition world more generally - the age of the posters.

Once you get into your 40s and beyond, you can start to dig a big hole for yourself taking the advice of some enthusiastic twenty-something who, lets be honest, can still get away with most things dietary wise. One of the beauties of Ray (for me personally) is his longevity. The wisdom he has takes multiple decades to accrue, both theoretically and practically, and he is living proof of what he suggests. Most of us here would be delighted to have his mental acuity, enthusiasm, empathy, apparent physical health etc at his age. He has walked his talk. It's not to say he is "right" about everything, but what he says is right!

There is a big trend on social media at the moment, especially Instagram, of some pretty young influencers ripping off Ray's ideas and work, often pretty verbatim and without credit. I'm pretty sure most haven't got the first clue about the deeper intricacies of the headlines they post. Someone looking in looks and think they look great, I'll do that, so they start pounding the sugar and trouble starts.

Most of those influencers could be getting away with most diets at that point, and often chop and change based on what is on trend. You'll see a shirtless and jacked 21 year old swinging a functional patterns batten around and eating 'Peaty' claiming they've discovered the font of all youth, but they didn't get to look like that eating Peaty and training that way, so it's a very inauthentic view. They've got jacked on a typical body building way of life for a few years, gone carnivore for a bit and gotten ripped, tanked themselves, then set up as a pro-metabolic guru with some funky graphics.

The real benefit of this forum are the old school posters who have have been around the block and seen all the mistakes others have made as well making them themselves, plus they've been deep in the research and old school literature for many years. There is a lot of accrued communal wisdom to tap into, but the suggestions are highly contextual and rarely black and white or absolute - that is something that keeps me coming here, it is missing in society at large.

B

Blaze

Peat diet----I tried some of the things, but many things I personally find to be missing the forest for the trees (e.g. O6)
I am reluctant to offer criticism beyond a gentle suggestion that you should keep an open mind due to the fact that in a young man, you still have no idea what dietary measures must be employed to assist an older person. At your age the body is much more efficient and tends to be very forgiving when you ingest foods that provoke symptoms or suffering in an older person. That resilience present in a young organism gives you the capacity to recover quickly from almost any dietary insult , and leaves you with the big illusion that what you are doing will universally work for everyone.
Learning is the journey you (and the rest of us) are on, and your perspective will most certainly evolve greatly as life brings you it's relentless challenges. If you currently like the paleo approach or any other approach, and it works for you - I get that. Pragmatism. But keep an open mind as you age and don't rashly discount and discard the Ray Peat dietary principles that have helped so many here. Realize that the forum members here are speaking from a deep deep level of experience. Many had to pass through the fiery crucible of suffering and came out the other side. In my understanding, medical school is not heavy on nutrition theory and the things you posted have been learned by you mostly elsewhere. Be excited and stay motivated and keep learning.

TheBeard said:
This is a forum to share what works in real life.

Ain't it the truth. Stay humble and learn what you can from others. I get a lot of free knowledge from others here and it prompts me to challenge myself to think and grow in new directions I might never have considered without the stimuli they provide. Be quick to listen and slow to speak. I appreciate the opportunity daily provided for me to learn and grow if I I just listen and contemplate way more than I speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheBeard

This original post I think highlights a big issue on this forum and the nutrition world more generally - the age of the posters.

Once you get into your 40s and beyond, you can start to dig a big hole for yourself taking the advice of some enthusiastic twenty-something who, lets be honest, can still get away with most things dietary wise. One of the beauties of Ray (for me personally) is his longevity. The wisdom he has takes multiple decades to accrue, both theoretically and practically, and he is living proof of what he suggests. Most of us here would be delighted to have his mental acuity, enthusiasm, empathy, apparent physical health etc at his age. He has walked his talk. It's not to say he is "right" about everything, but what he says is right!

There is a big trend on social media at the moment, especially Instagram, of some pretty young influencers ripping off Ray's ideas and work, often pretty verbatim and without credit. I'm pretty sure most haven't got the first clue about the deeper intricacies of the headlines they post. Someone looking in looks and think they look great, I'll do that, so they start pounding the sugar and trouble starts.

Most of those influencers could be getting away with most diets at that point, and often chop and change based on what is on trend. You'll see a shirtless and jacked 21 year old swinging a functional patterns batten around and eating 'Peaty' claiming they've discovered the font of all youth, but they didn't get to look like that eating Peaty and training that way, so it's a very inauthentic view. They've got jacked on a typical body building way of life for a few years, gone carnivore for a bit and gotten ripped, tanked themselves, then set up as a pro-metabolic guru with some funky graphics.

The real benefit of this forum are the old school posters who have have been around the block and seen all the mistakes others have made as well making them themselves, plus they've been deep in the research and old school literature for many years. There is a lot of accrued communal wisdom to tap into, but the suggestions are highly contextual and rarely black and white or absolute - that is something that keeps me coming here, it is missing in society at large.

Only issue I have with Peat's health as an image of the success of his ideas...is that he stutters.
I don't know if it's a form of neuro degenerescence, or if it has always been the same.

Compared to Georgi's verbal fluency, I'd rather follow Georgi's diet.

Only issue I have with Peat's health as an image of the success of his ideas...is that he stutters.
I don't know if it's a form of neuro degenerescence, or if it has always been the same.

Georgi doesnt look young though. Maybe because his hairline.

Sefton10

It would be interesting to speak with him off the record in his own environment. It's not easy being interviewed, especially over the phone when you know people are hanging on your every word. I thought he stuttered much less in the On the Back of a Tiger interviews that were released recently once he got into them, but they were several hours long. Maybe some of the stutter is just nerves or introversion that dissipates.

In comparison I agree Georgi is like a verbal whirlwind! The question is will he still be that way into his 70s and 80s :smile:

DawN

MeAt Is BaD FoR tHe EnViRonMeNt is a vegan meme, eating local pasture raised animals is the best thing for the environment, eating GMO soy with a shitload of pesticides, fungisides and insectisides, and eating foods that have to come from the other side of the world inside a plastic box is what is bad for the environment.
Big Luv 4 this one !!! Grass-fed beef from nearby safed my life!

JacquelineNZ

I expect the bare minimum, of course. That would be a contributor who has read and understands Ray Peat’s principles pertaining to nutrition and health. Extra points for knowing his audience and recognizing that the reason many people have come to this forum is because they damaged their health with paleo/keto-style diets like the one he is advocating.
OP is an peculiar mix of arrogance and ignorance which I find somewhat insulting, tbh. This (presumably) 3rd year med student, who showed up as a member a month ago is coming here to tell us he’s got it all figured out...seems like a pretty blatant self promoter. I get it, he doesn’t have much blog readership, hence the link, but in order to sell himself he needs to know his customer base. I think he overlooked this small detail when he posted this article.
Once again, another internet stray wanders into the forum, poops on the carpet and then slinks off. Please forgive me, but I find this recurring situation a little frustrating.
Yes I agree, I read it n thought what the hell! Many of us have come from that diet n got wrecked on high fat. Nobody wants to trigger Randal cycle by being high fat so to say this diet will suit everyone and they will do well on it is so far out from correct and goes against Rays work.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals