Getting Ripped With Dr Peat

managing

Hmmmm. It isn't progesterone. I don't know. I've done this for like 6 weeks now. I've gained about 12 pounds. Some of it is muscle, but I've definitely gained fat and am looking and feeling about as fat as I have been in my entire life . . .

managing

To be clear, the parts of your plan I am not strictly adhering to:

Fructose only added to milk, instead of table sugar.

I choose the milk with the latest expiration date, which is usually not non-fat for some reason.

NDT. Anytime I've dabbled in thyroid, it has led easily to a hypoglycemic response.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
I think the charcoal can pick up noxious stuff if it's not prepared correctly.

We should source charcoal used by emergency rooms.

peatarian said:
jyb said:
@peatarian: How do you use the charcoal? You mention using it every 3 days before bed. I have some active charcoal capsule (veg cellulose). Should I open the capsules and drink it raw (its dirty but just manageable)? How many should I aim for? Should I eat anything like raw carrots at the same time?

Sorry, I hadn't seen your post. I always buy 1kg of charcoal because it's cheeper. I use 3 to 5 tablespoons (I think that means more in mainland Europe than in UK or US) in Water. I usually mix it in a glass bottle.
Eating or drinking anything but water with it would be wasting it since the charcoal will absorb everything, even nutrients. It is used as first aid treatment of poisoning.

aquaman said:
visionofstrength said:
cascara (4 capsules, once or twice a day) as needed?

Seems excessive? one capsule made into tea is enough for me per day
I want to try your tea. Could it be more effective that way?

managing said:
Hmmmm. It isn't progesterone. I don't know. I've done this for like 6 weeks now. I've gained about 12 pounds. Some of it is muscle, but I've definitely gained fat and am looking and feeling about as fat as I have been in my entire life . . .

To be clear, the parts of your plan I am not strictly adhering to:

Fructose only added to milk, instead of table sugar.

I choose the milk with the latest expiration date, which is usually not non-fat for some reason.

NDT. Anytime I've dabbled in thyroid, it has led easily to a hypoglycemic response.
The healthy libido may be evidenced by waking up fully erect. If you don't do that (at least most of the time), there is likely an endotoxin/estrogen issue in your gut. Are you inclined to experiment with the charcoal and coconut oil?

I can't remember if you tried the CO2 device?

Jennifer

visionofstrength said:
aquaman said:
visionofstrength said:

I make the cascara into a sort of tea also. I put it in a jar and add water to it and let it soak for 8-24 hours. I then strain it through a coffee filter. Basically like I did to make cold-brewed coffee.

Lordy that stuff is bitter! :shock: It's right up there with goldenseal, but I find that goldenseal does a better job, especially at stopping my intestinal pain. So far cascara hasn't done anything to fix that. Hopefully it will as I continue to take it. *fingers crossed*

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
aquaman said:
visionofstrength said:

Don't know, JOsh Rubin recommends boiling the Cascara on a rolling boil for 5 minutes, I follow this. Takes the bitterness away, and you let the powder sit at the bottom of the cup. Mybe it's less harsh that way.

Normally one capsule is enough, sometimes even half. HOWEVER, I got a new batch of Nature's way and they seem to have changed it. It's completely differnet colour (much, much darker) to the one I had before, and tastes very different, and doesn't seem to be as effective.

Jennifer

That's good to know that boiling the cascara takes the bitterness away. I'll try that next time instead of cold-brewing it. I was concerned that boiling it would render it less affective. Glad to know that's not the case.

managing

The healthy libido may be evidenced by waking up fully erect. If you don't do that (at least most of the time), there is likely an endotoxin/estrogen issue in your gut. Are you inclined to experiment with the charcoal and coconut oil?

I can't remember if you tried the CO2 device?[/quote]

Yeah, that isn't happening. I've tried charcoal once. Fairly small dose. Gave me a headache and knocked my temps down by .5 for nearly a week. Why coconut oil? I cook with it extensively but never consume as a staple.

CO2: Haven't tried the device, but bag breath every morning.

jyb

aquaman said:
Don't know, JOsh Rubin recommends boiling the Cascara on a rolling boil for 5 minutes, I follow this. Takes the bitterness away, and you let the powder sit at the bottom of the cup. Mybe it's less harsh that way.

Is that a good thing? Bitterness for a food is associated with being good. Niacinamide, cascara, caffein, and many more Peaty stuff, are *very* bitter.

jyb said:
aquaman said:

Is that a good thing? Bitterness for a food is associated with being good. Niacinamide, cascara, caffein, and many more Peaty stuff, are *very* bitter.

Isn't niacinamide sour? And mine smells, it wasn't this bad before, I'm scared to take it.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
Isn't niacinamide sour? And mine smells, it wasn't this bad before, I'm scared to take it.

Niacinamide I've had was always been bitter and odorless. I don't think I'm confusing bitterness and sourness, but don't rule it out.

managing said:
Actually, I think it may be a varicocele. Any thoughts?
It seems Peat would consider it a varicose vein, caused by the usual suspects:

Ray Peat said:
The whole issue of blood vessel fragility is usually disposed of as a “genetic trait,” or a result of old age. This is part of a general tendency to think of the blood vessels as an anatomically fixed, “congenital,” and genetically determined system. At least until recently, nearly all physicians have called aneurysms “congenital defects.” But varicose veins are merely low-pressure analogs of arterial aneurysms, and they obviously develop under specific conditions, such as pregnancy and malnutrition.

...oxygen deprivation resulting from a deficiency of carbon dioxide can cause increased arterial pressure, and also a dilation of veins, leading to varicose veins and hemorrhoids.

The ability to lower the cholesterol “risk factor” for heart attacks became a cultural icon, so that the contribution of estrogen and unsaturated oils to the pathologies of clotting could be ignored. Likewise, the contribution of unsaturated fats’ lipid peroxidation to the development of atherosclerotic plaques was simply ignored. But one of estrogen’s long established toxic effects, the reduction of tone in veins, was turned into something like a “negative risk factor”: The relaxation of blood vessels would prevent high blood pressure and its consequences, in this new upside down paradigm. This vein-dilating effect of estrogen has been seen to play a role in the development of varicose veins, in orthostatic hypotension, and in the formation of blood clots in the slow-moving blood in the large leg veins.
If I read these right, you could try treating it with salt, estrogen/endotoxin reduction, and carbon dioxide.

managing

Interesting too, in that I don't have varicose veins otherwise. I should add I've had a vasectomy, which increases the risk.

I tried AC again the last two nights. Low doses (like 600 mg) like what gave me trouble before. No trouble this time. But I really dont' think endotoxin is the issue (w/o describing bowel movements, lets just say they are good). Estrogen has been a problem off and on. I stopped using progesterone at bedtime hoping it was causing some of this. Interestingly, I think its gotten worse.

managing said:
Interesting too, in that I don't have varicose veins otherwise. I should add I've had a vasectomy, which increases the risk.

I tried AC again the last two nights. Low doses (like 600 mg) like what gave me trouble before. No trouble this time. But I really dont' think endotoxin is the issue (w/o describing bowel movements, lets just say they are good). Estrogen has been a problem off and on. I stopped using progesterone at bedtime hoping it was causing some of this. Interestingly, I think its gotten worse.
I've seen reports here that transitions off of progesterone and pregnenolone may be uncomfortable for a week or so.

Carbon dioxide may do the trick. It is known to increase blood flow significantly, when you breathe enough of it.

managing

It seems varicocele are caused by pelvic floor muscle problems (restricted blood flow) rather than blood vessel defects. This is why no other varicose veins. My veins are good. Gotta work on the pelvic floor muscles.

aquaman

@visionofstrength , i've been using the fructose and milk combo. Worryingly at the end of "environmental enrichment and the brain" KMUD interview, RP mentions that fructose granules may be derived from corn starch and contain allergens. Do you know the source of where you get the fructose from?

Also I wonder if it would have the same issues of containing starch molecules like HFCS and therefore higher calories?

aquaman

aquaman said:
@visionofstrength , i've been using the fructose and milk combo. Worryingly at the end of "environmental enrichment and the brain" KMUD interview, RP mentions that fructose granules may be derived from corn starch and contain allergens. Do you know the source of where you get the fructose from?

Also I wonder if it would have the same issues of containing starch molecules like HFCS and therefore higher calories?

I emailed bulkpowders.co.uk where I bought my fructose from and their head of quality control said that it was derived from sugar beet or cane, so that's good (for me at least).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals