Cucumber

livrepensador

Hello, what Peat says about cucumbers?

Last night i eat a cucumber with salt and sugar (japanese style) and i notice its very easy to digest.
So i search in nutrition data and found a good surprise:

1 cucumber (about 300 g)
Protein: 11 %
Carbs: 83 %
Fats: 6 %

Its a decent amount of protein. I know it have most of its content of water, but the percentages are good.

Other things:

Vitamin K = 49.4 mcg
This is 62% of the daily intake! This could be a source of vitamin K?

Potassium = 442 mg
it is 13% of daily intake.

Magnesium = 39.1 mg
It is 10% of daily intake.

Source: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2439/2

What you people think? Would it be a good snack? Or a good thing to eat along meat?

FredSonoma

Didn't know about the K! Is it really that high? I don't feel like it tastes like it has that much Vitamin K. But it tastes good / has a nice cleaning feeling, kind of like the raw carrot. Seems like it should be fine to eat.

Nicholas

if we looked at the nutritional content of every food, we would be surprised at the things they contain. If someone got red meat, vegetables, fruit, and dairy in their diet they would have a "nutrient dense" diet.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Cucumbers are mentioned as fine in the Biochemnordic program. I've always felt cucumbers had something beneficial my body needed because I felt so good after eating them but I had no idea about the vitamin K content!

Giraffe

livrepensador said:
post 115000 1 cucumber (about 300 g)
Cucumber is 96 % water. Per 100 g: protein = 0.6 g, carbs = 1.81 g.

livrepensador said:
post 115000 This is 62% of the daily intake! This could be a source of vitamin K?
Cucumber does contain vitamin K1 (16.4 mcg) as all fruits do, but it is not much compared to say kale (817 mcg).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

livrepensador

Giraffe said:
post 115008
livrepensador said:
post 115000 1 cucumber (about 300 g)
Cucumber is 96 % water. Per 100 g: protein = 0.6 g, carbs = 1.81 g.

livrepensador said:
post 115000 This is 62% of the daily intake! This could be a source of vitamin K?
Cucumber does contain vitamin K1 (16.4 mcg) as all fruits do, but it is not much compared to say kale (817 mcg).

Thanks Giraffe! Good point! I know there are other vegetables with more vitamin K, but i find really easy to eat 2 cucumbers as salad (with salt and sugar) than other vegetables like raw carrots :carrot

Westside PUFAs said:
post 115010 Cucumber is a good source of fiber to keep things moving through.
:+1

Blossom said:
post 115006 Cucumbers are mentioned as fine in the Biochemnordic program. I've always felt cucumbers had something beneficial my body needed because I felt so good after eating them but I had no idea about the vitamin K content!
Hey Blossom, i fully agree with you and the others about this good feeling after eating some cucumbers... :D
This Biochemnordic program is good?

dookie

I find cucumber to be very allergenic, in the same way as raw apples or raw vegetables. I'm particularly sensitive, so other people will probably not react to it, but I think it's always important to ask yourself how a food makes you feel after you eat it, instead of relying on "nutrition data" or numbers (eg. this contains X % of vitamin Y). (I've seen people make the same mistakes with supplements: they keep taking a supplement, like thyroid, even when it makes them feel horrible, just because in theory it's so healthy and "on paper" it looks good)

Gl;itch.e

I've always wondered if the structured water of foods like this (water melon also seems to hit the spot really well for me) is playing a large role. Maybe hydrating the body in a better way than straight liquids.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
livrepensador said:
post 115055 Hey Blossom, i fully agree with you and the others about this good feeling after eating some cucumbers...
Yes it's very concise and touches on the major points of metabolism and nutrition in a simplified way. I think it's best for beginners. If you've already spent months studying Peat and hanging out here you may not learn a lot that is new. I found it helpful early on when I still had some brain fog and disturbing health issues and wanted to be 100% sure I was understanding Peat's work correctly. I actually consulted with Benedicte (the author) before she was finished with the program because Peat had just taken down his contract information. If a person is feeling overwhelmed by all the details her program can help simplify and clarify things.

OP
L

livrepensador

Blossom said:
post 115103
livrepensador said:
post 115055 Hey Blossom, i fully agree with you and the others about this good feeling after eating some cucumbers...
Yes it's very concise and touches on the major points of metabolism and nutrition in a simplified way. I think it's best for beginners. If you've already spent months studying Peat and hanging out here you may not learn a lot that is new. I found it helpful early on when I still had some brain fog and disturbing health issues and wanted to be 100% sure I was understanding Peat's work correctly. I actually consulted with Benedicte (the author) before she was finished with the program because Peat had just taken down his contract information. If a person is feeling overwhelmed by all the details her program can help simplify and clarify things.
:thankyou

goodandevil

dookie said:
post 115078 I find cucumber to be very allergenic, in the same way as raw apples or raw vegetables. I'm particularly sensitive, so other people will probably not react to it, but I think it's always important to ask yourself how a food makes you feel after you eat it, instead of relying on "nutrition data" or numbers (eg. this contains X % of vitamin Y). (I've seen people make the same mistakes with supplements: they keep taking a supplement, like thyroid, even when it makes them feel horrible, just because in theory it's so healthy and "on paper" it looks good)

Chitinase?

YourUniverse

Does peeling improve a cucumber's overall nutritional profile?

Are cucumbers good sources of biotin? Maybe of a-lipoic acid?

I feel uniquely light and hydrated after eating a cucumber. Can't say its because of water content, because a glass of water does not do this. Im worried the skin is harsh or serotonin-promoting - thoughts?

Last edited:

Dave Clark

I like cucumbers, they are actually a fruit, very aromatic. However, for all of you that are strict Peat followers, cucumber is high in silica, which I believe Ray does not think is a good thing to chttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5678890/onsume.
I am not sure about the silica thing, I eat cucumbers, and I drink bamboo tea, which is also high in silica.

Dave Clark

paymanz

That silicon/silica that ray warns about is different than natural silicon in foods.

What he warns about is silica that used as additive in supplements.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals