Peas: The Thiamine And Vitamin K Powerhouse

A Case for the Ray PEAt.
(excuse the pun... that was terrible)

• To those including starch and are not reducing their fibre content.
  • practical substitute for Kale, or leafy greens.
  • Peas can be a viable carbohydrate/protein source; particularly for those who struggle with Potatoes or the nightshade family.
  • Also low in low in cysteine and methionine

Green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus and folate. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B2, molybdenum, zinc, protein, magnesium, iron, potassium and choline.

Review of the health benefits of peas (Pisum sativum L.). - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Pulses, including peas, have long been important components of the human diet due to their content of starch, protein and other nutrients. More recently, the health benefits other than nutrition associated with pulse consumption have attracted much interest. The focus of the present review paper is the demonstrated and potential health benefits associated with the consumption of peas, Pisum sativum L., specifically green and yellow cotyledon dry peas, also known as smooth peas or field peas. These health benefits derive mainly from the concentration and properties of starch, protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals in peas. Fibre from the seed coat and the cell walls of the cotyledon contributes to gastrointestinal function and health, and reduces the digestibility of starch in peas. The intermediate amylose content of pea starch also contributes to its lower glycaemic index and reduced starch digestibility. Pea protein, when hydrolysed, may yield peptides with bioactivities, including angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitor activity and antioxidant activity. The vitamin and mineral contents of peas may play important roles in the prevention of deficiency-related diseases, specifically those related to deficiencies of Se or folate. Peas contain a variety of phytochemicals once thought of only as antinutritive factors. These include polyphenolics, in coloured seed coat types in particular, which may have antioxidant and anticarcinogenic activity, saponins which may exhibit hypocholesterolaemic and anticarcinogenic activity, and galactose oligosaccharides which may exert beneficial prebiotic effects in the large intestine.

Vitamins
B1 (Thiamine)
1.4mg
118%

B2 (Riboflavin)
0.5mg
38%

B3 (Niacin)
7.4mg
46%

B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
0.7mg
14%

B6 (Pyridoxine)
0.6mg
43%

Folate
295.0µg
74%

Vitamin A
10500.0IU
350%

Vitamin C
49.5mg
55%

Vitamin E
0.2mg
1%

Vitamin K
120.0µg
100%

Minerals
Calcium
120.0 mg
12%

Copper
0.5 mg
58%

Iron 7.6mg
95%

Magnesium
110.0mg
28%

Manganese
1.4mg
61%

Phosphorus
385.0mg
55%

Potassium
550.0mg
12%

Selenium
5.0µg
9%

Sodium
360.0mg
24%

Zinc
3.4mg
30%

Last edited:

Wagner83

Nice!

Hulled buckwheat is an other one that spikes my interest (if kept low enough to not be flooded with PUFA), in particular for the proteins in it:

Buckwheat
Nutritional Profile
Buckwheat is a very good source of manganese and a good source of copper, magnesium, dietary fiber and phosphorus. Buckwheat contains two flavonoids with significant health-promoting actions: rutin and quercitin. The protein in buckwheat is a high quality protein, containing all eight essential amino acids, including lysine.

OP
ShirtTieFitness
Thanks @Wagner83. Buckwheat does look like one of the more favourable grains due to its vitamin and mineral content as you outline. The bioavalability of such is a concern like most grains, and its high fibre content could cause issues to susceptible individuals. Are you consuming Buckwheat regularly? If so what is your personal experience?

schultz

I have used them as livestock feed in the past (field peas) because of their protein content and micros. They require processing for feeding to monogastric livestock because of the lectins and trypsin inhibitors. Maybe the garden pea is safer?

On paper, they appear to be a pretty good vegan type food. Are there any types of plant toxins in them after processing? How available is the protein?

I tend not to trust legumes.

OP
ShirtTieFitness

Wagner83

Thanks @Wagner83. Buckwheat does look like one of the more favourable grains due to its vitamin and mineral content as you outline. The bioavalability of such is a concern like most grains, and its high fibre content could cause issues to susceptible individuals. Are you consuming Buckwheat regularly? If so what is your personal experience?
I bought it but did not use it yet, as I said on an other thread I found potatoes which taste absolutely awesome and digest fine, they have to be really "creamy/smooth" when steamed for some time, they melt in the mouth and are way better than most other ones which always are a bit floury and may even have a slight bitter after taste. The latter can give me nausea right after ingestion, the former not at all, I've eaten a kg of them at once on many occasions . That's a decent source of high quality proteins.

I tried the green peas a few times and did not like it so much, I'm not sure why I don't dislike the taste. For the b vitamins and some minerals I may experiment with brewer's yeast, in a carrot or mushroom salad it's delicious.

In general grains look like they are a decent source of magnesium (if what is present is absorbed) , hard to match that amount without starch/grains.

Last edited:

schultz

@schultz interesting on the livestock front; makes me think of Peat citing the fattening properties of Vegetable Oils on Pigs. What were the effects of peas on your livestock; were they fattened by the consumption?

Plant Toxins in Peas come in the form of Phtate which is reduced when boiling:

"green peas dropped from 384 mg phytate to 158 mg phytate. Most of the phytic acid was retained in the cooking water, though, so if you’re trying to avoid phytates, discard the water."

I didn't feed it long enough to notice a difference. I wasn't looking very closely for differences to be honest. I could test it by getting 2 groups of chickens and feeding 1 group 50% peas and the other group some kind of control diet (not sure what that would be, regular chicken feed?) and assess their weight and number of eggs laid. Both groups would have to receive the same amount of added vitamins and minerals I suppose.

Are there any phytoestrogens in peas? I give my goats alfalfa and it is also a legume. Alfalfa has phytoestrogens in it apparently. Alfalfa also has oxalic acid. (I realize the alfalfa I feed is mainly the leaf portion of the plant and you're not consuming pea leaves lol)

kiran

There's hemagglutinin in peas.

Hemagglutinin: A clot-promoting substance that causes your red blood cells to clump, making them unable to properly absorb and distribute oxygen to your tissues.

@Westside PUFAs surely you consume these?!

1. I noticed Brits use the term "surely" a lot.

2. Yes I consume those. I think legumes are healthy. Note to newbie: Peat does not. I like them. Technically chocolate is a legume too, and peanuts, anything that grows in a pod, but it's the legume trio of beans, peas and lentils that provide high amounts of starch and protein and the micronutrients are an added plus, and of course, the fiber. Heart disease, hypertension, T2D and some cancers aren't an epidemic because everyone is going home and eating rice and legumes for dinner. I noticed RT of FPS says that beans are "mainstream." That's not true RT. It's just not true. People hate beans and the only time they eat them is when they go to Chipotle topped with oil and cheese, or they buy the canned baked beans that have a lot of crap in them and even then only eat those like once a month, as well as their crappy overall diet.

There was one Peat quote that had peas in it:

"People feel social pressure occasionally to eat things, for example if you are a guest and salmon and peas are served, it's best to boldly enjoy them, but when you have a choice, better things are usually available."

Active Low-Carber Forums - Ray Peat Eating Guidelines

But I don't see Peat really saying "I definitely wouldn't recommend any of those, in fact those are my favorite things to warn against" so I question the authenticity of that part of the quote, plus Cathy's wording sounds a bit biased.

Last edited:

Note

Thick sauce with peas and carrot + potatoes, one of my starchy favourite meal as a kid.

cyclops

Question, I have been eating a green leafy vegetable broth with my lunch most days and feel better for it.

On days where I cannot eat this broth, I'd like to include some vegetable with my lunch which is normally just meat and white rice. Do you think peas would be a good addition? Or do you think well-cooked green leafy vegetables would be a much better choice? I ask because I enjoy peas much more but since this will be a long term eating plan for me, I would eat the green leafy vegetables if they are a much better choice. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

tara

Question, I have been eating a green leafy vegetable broth with my lunch most days and feel better for it.

On days where I cannot eat this broth, I'd like to include some vegetable with my lunch which is normally just meat and white rice. Do you think peas would be a good addition? Or do you think well-cooked green leafy vegetables would be a much better choice? I ask because I enjoy peas much more but since this will be a long term eating plan for me, I would eat the green leafy vegetables if they are a much better choice. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Before reading Peat, I'd occasionally enjoy a serving of garden peas, and figured they were convenient I should eat them more often. But I could never enjoy them more than occasionally. I eat them occasionally now too, but I still can't enjoy them in large quantities or more than once or twice a week. I figure leafy greens may have more to offer, but peas make a good change for variety now and then.

cyclops

Before reading Peat, I'd occasionally enjoy a serving of garden peas, and figured they were convenient I should eat them more often. But I could never enjoy them more than occasionally. I eat them occasionally now too, but I still can't enjoy them in large quantities or more than once or twice a week. I figure leafy greens may have more to offer, but peas make a good change for variety now and then.

This is pretty much how I roll now too. Maybe a couple times a week, I'll say pass the peas please. In my opinion, non-pea eaters are missing out.

Last edited:

cyclops

I wonder if peas are technically a bean though. I know Peat doesn't think to highly of beans.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals