Calcification in a dialysis patient successfully treated (reversed) with high-dose vitamin K supplementation

cs3000

annoyingly this study did not show reversal like the others, just a slowing of calcification like a lot of the studies do Effect of vitamin K1 supplementation on matrix Gla protein level and vascular calcification in hemodialysis patients - The Egyptian Journal of Internal Medicine
10mg 3x a week did not reverse calcification (same dose used in the 2nd case report)

their MGP did not go up a lot. which tells me they didn't uncarboxylate a significant enough % of the elevated MGP to see calcification reversal, it slowed

studies that don't work with K1 / K2 or only show slowing of calcification instead of reversing, show only up to 40% reduction of uncarboxylated MGP. which suggests you need to reduce most or all of it for the reversal effect. and total levels are elevated 2x - 3x in people with calciphylaxis so more K is needed to get the full carboxylation of elevated MGP

but the megadose in the first study should have been enough

is retinol the missing factor?
studies are mixed on whether it increases total or decreases total MGP. which would give more or less MGP needed to carboxylate & so more or less K needed for the calcification reversal effect.

Potent Inhibition of Heterotopic Ossification by Nuclear Retinoic Acid Receptor γ Agonists -> vit A receptor agonists inhibit calcification

Increased dietary intake of vitamin A promotes aortic valve calcification in vivo - PubMed -> but high doses of vitamin A actually have the opposite effect & increase calcification (mice eat ~4g food daily so 100,000iu - 150,000iu daily human equivalent i think? compared to 10,000iu - 15000iu)

chris masterjohn blog post on this with another study

in the 1st case report below her retinol was out of range.
they supplemented her with 3500iu alongside the k1 and calcification reversed for full tissue healing

So if retinol is the extra co-factor this suggests daily 3500iu is enough. too much might give reverse effect

https://academic.oup.com/ckj/article/11/4/528/4616523

This woman had significant calcification of blood vessels causing ulcerations on her calf & leg (Calciphylaxis). regardless of being normocalcaemic in blood tests. Her plasma vitamin K was so low they couldn't even detect it so <0.3 nmol/L (reference range 0.3–2.6). and her plasma vitamin A was 0.8 μmol/L (reference range 1.6–2.3), her parathyroid hormone was 28 pmol/L (reference range <7.5 pmol/L
Her PTH shot up after month 6 as her calcium dropped below a level. but that didn't change the reversal of calcification into month 12, likely because she then had adequate Vit K (& A?). Her wounds healed by month 12. (faster in the other case report)
They also lowered dialysate calcium & increased dialysis during the study. but lowering calcium / increasing dialysis alone wouldn't reverse existing calcification i don't think. so it's the K (+ A maybe). "It seems likely that, of the co-interventions, vitamin K supplementation had the greatest impact on the patient’s recovery."

Vitamin K–Dependent Carboxylation of Matrix Gla Protein Influences the Risk of Calciphylaxis
the fraction of total MGP that was carboxylated was lower in cases than in controls. Vitamin K deficiency was more common than in controls.
Plasma levels of both ucMGP (3076±289 pM versus 1485±436, P<0.001) and cMGP (3075±289 pM versus 2688±314 pM, P=0.002) were higher in calciphylaxis cases compared with controls
Similarly, in analyses restricted to patients not taking warfarin, plasma levels of ucMGP (3042±385 pM versus 1099±172 pM, P<0.001) and cMGP (3989±277 pM versus 3024±312 pM, P=0.03) were higher in calciphylaxis cases compared with controls

2mg daily slowed but did not reverse

There's another study in a woman with ulcerated calves from calcification "Successful treatment of calciphylaxis with vitamin K in a patient on haemodialysis" - using 10mg k1 3x a week
maybe her retinol levels were good so she carboxylated a high enough % using the same dose as the first study?

"Two months after starting phylloquinone, her pain and the ulcers had significantly improved and by 3 months they had resolved. Against our advice, she decided to cease phylloquinone. Seven months after her initial presentation (4 months after ceasing phylloquinone), the calciphylaxis recurred (see Supplementary Data). At this time, her plasma vitamin K was 0.7 nmol/L (reference range 0.3–2.6), and her PTH was over 200 pmol/L. She agreed to recommence 10 mg phylloquinone thrice weekly, this time given intravenously. She did not undergo further angioplasty. within 3 months, there was near-complete healing of her ulcers and significant improvement of her pain"

Last edited:
I have one question before I read Chris's article.
maybe her retinol levels were good so she carboxylated a high enough % using the same dose as the first study?
So, you say we need retinol to carboxylate vitamin K? What happens if the K is not carboxylated? Would the effect be detrimental then? I had pretty severe side effects to VIT K2 [mk4] so I'm wondering if the low retinol or some other vitamin or hormone could be related.

OP
cs3000

cs3000

I have one question before I read Chris's article.

So, you say we need retinol to carboxylate vitamin K? What happens if the K is not carboxylated? Would the effect be detrimental then? I had pretty severe side effects to VIT K2 [mk4] so I'm wondering if the low retinol or some other vitamin or hormone could be related.

was just exploring for what could be the missing factor for the case studies showing reversal of calcification in the women, vs the other study which just showed slowing

it's about calcium binding proteins that need vitamin K to be carboxylated, instead of them being in their defective uncarboxylated form (so can't bind calcium properly, causing more calcification of soft tissue) - retinol might play in by reducing the amount of K needed but idk

based on this stuff K wouldn't be causing the issue without retinol just that retinol would give a boost if that was the missing link.
that was a very high dose u were taking tho -

Apparently high vit K can't cause blood clotting issues because blood clotting is already reliant on full carboxylation of clotting factors
(so adding more K can't give any extra than what's already fully carboxylated Vitamin K: the effect on health beyond coagulation – an overview).
i don't know a mechanism where Vit K could cause calcification issues either should be the opposite. if it's possible to be some sort of rare microclotting disorder then i guess nattokinase should be a help if tolerated as can dissolve clots in hours

didn't find the mechanism when i tried it but i didn't tolerate mk4 either , or decent doses of k1 which converts to it. got that same "on a boat" dizziness some people here mention & anxiety after taking. havent tried decent doses of mk7 yet though

Last edited:
was just exploring for what could be the missing factor for the case studies showing reversal of calcification in the women, vs the other study which just showed slowing

it's about calcium binding proteins that need vitamin K to be carboxylated, instead of them being in their defective uncarboxylated form (so can't bind calcium properly, causing more calcification of soft tissue) - retinol might play in by reducing the amount of K needed but idk

based on this stuff K wouldn't be causing the issue without retinol just that retinol would give a boost if that was the missing link.
that was a very high dose u were taking tho -

Apparently high vit K can't cause blood clotting issues because blood clotting is already reliant on full carboxylation of clotting factors
(so adding more K can't give any extra than what's already fully carboxylated Vitamin K: the effect on health beyond coagulation – an overview).
i don't know a mechanism where Vit K could cause calcification issues either should be the opposite. if it's possible to be some sort of rare microclotting disorder then i guess nattokinase should be a help if tolerated as can dissolve clots in hours

didn't find the mechanism when i tried it but i didn't tolerate mk4 either , or decent doses of k1 which converts to it. got that same "on a boat" dizziness some people here mention & anxiety after taking. havent tried decent doses of mk7 yet though
Thanks.

Based on my experience so far and my diseases I would believe that I have some intracellular pathogens causing havoc on my system, disrupting cell communication, misfolding proteins, creating biofilm, further increasing inflammation and immune response. Potentiating ROS, disrupting metal ion transportation while also stealing important minerals vitamins, and metals from the host like iron,b12, manganese etc [Which I am extremely low on]. Importantly they also have an epigenetic influence where they screw with the genes which further scrambles the whole system.

If you look at my diseases most of them are granulomatous in nature:
Crohn's, vasculitis, joint pain, eczema, skin issues etc...
I think most of them are caused by disrupted energy metabolism which are probably caused by intracellular pathogens. In these circumstances, I feel that any supplement can have detrimental effects because the living system is imbalanced, lacking enzymes or minerals/vitamins for proper activation or some homeostatic balance.

I already had nasty and/or negative effects to glycine, gelatin, niacinamide, K2, D3, progesterone etc...

S.Seneff

Thanks.

Based on my experience so far and my diseases I would believe that I have some intracellular pathogens causing havoc on my system, disrupting cell communication, misfolding proteins, creating biofilm, further increasing inflammation and immune response. Potentiating ROS, disrupting metal ion transportation while also stealing important minerals vitamins, and metals from the host like iron,b12, manganese etc [Which I am extremely low on]. Importantly they also have an epigenetic influence where they screw with the genes which further scrambles the whole system.

If you look at my diseases most of them are granulomatous in nature:
Crohn's, vasculitis, joint pain, eczema, skin issues etc...
I think most of them are caused by disrupted energy metabolism which are probably caused by intracellular pathogens. In these circumstances, I feel that any supplement can have detrimental effects because the living system is imbalanced, lacking enzymes or minerals/vitamins for proper activation or some homeostatic balance.

I already had nasty and/or negative effects to glycine, gelatin, niacinamide, K2, D3, progesterone etc...
glycine; and progesterone are also link to magnesium... : Sci-Hub | Short-Term and Intermediate-Term Effects of Low Blood Magnesium on Progesterone, LH and FSH Levels in Rats. Hormone and Metabolic Research, 27(03), 159–160 | 10.1055/s-2007-979930

Thank you for replying but the same answer:
The strange thing is that I never felt worse after supplementing magnesium bicarbonate which I made at home. I don't think I had bad experience to magnesium citrate which I used 3-4 years ago but I had extremely bad reaction to magnesium threonate. Cramps, anxiety and some other really weird stuff. I threw it in the garbage and never supplemented any mineral after that.
Do you think I should try some other form? But I'm never using glycinate bicarbonate or threonate xd

OP
cs3000

cs3000

Thank you for replying but the same answer:

Do you think I should try some other form? But I'm never using glycinate bicarbonate or threonate xd
magnesium worsened an electrical problem i get from vitamin D big time. i dived fully into many forms & doses because of typically low intakes for years and seeing it mentioned for the problem, pushed through with it for a while and it just got way worse. citrate chloride malate didn't matter, more twitches to the point it was nearly constant all over my body, worse palpitations & arrthymia, ramped up excessive thinking etc. but that's with this specific problem. in general people like it

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom