Diabetes in fruit eating birds with fast metabolism

moa

Toucan birds are very fast metabolism birds, almost exclusively fruit eaters. in the natural environment they eat low iron fruits only.

one of the issues with toucans in captivity is not feed them any iron fruits or food to avoid them being sick.

special pellets have been developed for that, and toucans don't die of iron overload as much, but now a new epidemic kills toucans, they die of diabetes.

this are ingredients of low iron pellets used on toucans who developed diabetes.

Ingredients:
Wheat flour,
soy protein concentrate,
wheat germ,
corn gluten meal,
soybean oil,
dicalcium phosphate,
sucrose,
calcium carbonate,
dried and pitted plum,
dried apple,
brewers dried yeast,
tagetes (Aztec marigold) extract (color),
pineapple,
salt,
l-lysine,
powdered cellulose,
dl-methionine,
l-threonine,
choline chloride,
mixed tocopherols (preservative, form of vitamin E; ascorbic acid, rosemary extract),
d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (form of vitamin E),
manganese sulfate,
niacin,
l-arginine,
zinc sulfate,
calcium iodate,
menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K),
calcium pantothenate,
copper sulfate,
canthaxanthin (color),
riboflavin,
pyridoxine hydrochloride,
thiamin mononitrate,
folic acid,
vitamin A acetate,
biotin,
sodium selenite,
vitamin B12 supplement,
cholecalciferol (vitamin D3)

i think the first ingredients are the most important in weight.

they seem rich in protein, gluten and pufa. in nature they eat bugs and lizards, but i doubt they eat any pufa since they are fruit based on tropical forests.

do you see other reason why this birds now develop diabetes, while being "cured" of iron poisoning, excepting pufa ?

according to this necropsy, diabetes was produced by iron overload, despite very very very low iron in food.

how is it possible to get diabetes, from iron poisoning damage to pancreas, while having very low iron intake during his lifespan, including purified water ?

View: https://youtu.be/7DuKE10JGWI?t=519

Dave Clark

The first 5 ingredients are the same thing that cause humans to have diabetes. I don't have a toucan, I have an African Grey parrot and Welsh Harlequin ducks, and I would never feed them anything with those ingredients. Plus, anything but organic is going to load them with pesticides, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals