Foolproof Nutrition Protocol For Life-long Weight Loss/PUFA Depletion

OP
Y

YourUniverse

I need to lose probably 70 pounds if I'm being honest, maybe more. I've done low carb in the past, but also filled with pufa since I didn't know better.

You aren't the only one here who has used a higher fat diet to lose weight and I have reached out to a few. So far you are the first to respond. Thank you for that.

I found the book on Amazon for less than $20, so I'll have it on Monday. I am hypo and probably am not yet taking enough thyroid. I started progesterone about 6 weeks ago.

How many months did you lose weight? And have you gained now that you are doing the depletion phase?
Yeah, I've done keto with the wrong fats. I think Im now purging all that stored nonsense off. I lost weight since a bit before writing this thread, to a few weeks ago. I actually think I gained a little weight since starting this PUFA depletion phase, which is 2% calories from fat. I think its a protective mechanism against all the PUFA Im liberating. This is somewhat expected, and Im ok with it. The goal is health, and Im choosing to get to max health quickly (speed will always come with caveats...)

Cirion

Yeah, I've done keto with the wrong fats. I think Im now purging all that stored nonsense off. I lost weight since a bit before writing this thread, to a few weeks ago. I actually think I gained a little weight since starting this PUFA depletion phase, which is 2% calories from fat. I think its a protective mechanism against all the PUFA Im liberating. This is somewhat expected, and Im ok with it. The goal is health, and Im choosing to get to max health quickly (speed will always come with caveats...)

Yeah when I was eating ultra high carb I was frequently feeling bad and felt like I needed to eat yet even more carbs to feel normal. I now realize that its likely due to the constant stream of pufa's coming out from my body fat stores. And the insane inflammation this promotes makes it impossible to get long term weight loss I now think.

CaliforniaKat

How many carbs were you eating while you were losing? I know you had said in the thread early on that you were having a few pieces of fruit a day and eating to satiety without tracking.

I'm seriously considering going back to a lowish carb, higher fat diet to get the weight off and then transition back slowly to more carbs and lower fat once I'm closer to an acceptable weight.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

How many carbs were you eating while you were losing? I know you had said in the thread early on that you were having a few pieces of fruit a day and eating to satiety without tracking.

I'm seriously considering going back to a lowish carb, higher fat diet to get the weight off and then transition back slowly to more carbs and lower fat once I'm closer to an acceptable weight.
Read Dr. Barnes' book, especially the chapter on obesity, and decide for yourself. I was losing consistently until I dropped fat intake to less than 40g/day, at which point I decided to pull the trigger and sprint it off. Im in the midst of this depletion attempt, so I'll see how this goes.

CaliforniaKat

Yeah when I was eating ultra high carb I was frequently feeling bad and felt like I needed to eat yet even more carbs to feel normal. I now realize that its likely due to the constant stream of pufa's coming out from my body fat stores. And the insane inflammation this promotes makes it impossible to get long term weight loss I now think.

I have read a ton of your posts. I appreciate that you seek patterns and data to inform your answers. I know from your posts that you also gained quite a bit of weight through trial and error in Peatland.

What do you think your next plan of action will be?

I've ordered the Broda Barnes book and will have it on Monday. Inhave upped my fat and lowered my carbs today, and likely will continue that way for a few days to see what happens to energy, well being, temps and pulse.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

This is an estimate of my average day. The jasmine rice portion is more of a calorie placeholder - depending on my mood, it will vary between rice, potato, candy, more fruit/milk, or anything else fat-free:
upload_2019-8-3_18-16-58.png

Not listed: 2 or 4mg of nicotine, in gum form

Cirion

I have read a ton of your posts. I appreciate that you seek patterns and data to inform your answers. I know from your posts that you also gained quite a bit of weight through trial and error in Peatland.

What do you think your next plan of action will be?

I've ordered the Broda Barnes book and will have it on Monday. Inhave upped my fat and lowered my carbs today, and likely will continue that way for a few days to see what happens to energy, well being, temps and pulse.

Thanks. Yeah, just trying to figure out this whole getting healthy thing haha. Yeah I think my main mistake was a tad bit too much fat, but worse than that was mixing too much carb with too much fat. When I was keto and had 300-350 gram of fat I didn't really gain any weight at all so fat in and of itself is definitely not the devil. What is a problem is when fat is oxidized as the result of stress. Same with ketones vs ketosis. Ketosis is ultimately unhealthy, ketones are not (from MCT oils and such). Eating fat is not the same though as burning fats as the result of stress. Big but subtle difference. Also carbs, due to promoting insulin, can quickly cause dietary fat to be shuttled into body fat, ESPECIALLY if you reach the point of where carbs no longer get oxidized for fuel (roughly 500g a day from studies). Also probably important to mind the quality of foods you intake. Never eat grain fed meat, grain fed dairy etc. I might experiment with whole milk -- but only from reputable sources (like from the Amish -- there's an Amish brand of milk that they sell near me). I don't trust commercial dairy. Goat cheese I would trust over any other cheeses. I don't even trust Feta cheese, because I've noted that all the brands add gum and other crap to it. Goat cheese is the only safe cheese IMO. Anyway yeah my plan of action is to tiltrate my carbs down to 500g or less (but at least down to 500g) while intaking fats maybe in the 100-150 gram range or so, possibly up to 200g fat if I decide to go to like 300-400 gram carbs. I've also started supplementing B vitamins, eating eggs for choline, to support liver health, and increasing protein. Eggs do have PUFA but I've stopped being paranoid over it. I think the choline more than makes up for the drawbacks of the pufa it has. Plus eggs have cholesterol in them, which are always great.

I might have to check out this book as well.

Last edited:

CaliforniaKat

This is an estimate of my average day. The jasmine rice portion is more of a calorie placeholder - depending on my mood, it will vary between rice, potato, candy, more fruit/milk, or anything else fat-free:
View attachment 14180

Not listed: 2 or 4mg of nicotine, in gum form

How do you feel on this diet vs the higher fat diet you were on previously? Do you need or take thyroid? I'm asking because you reference the Broda Barnes book. You may have answered that further back in the thread, but I don't remember seeing it.

Vinny

You aren't the only one here who has used a higher fat diet to lose weight and I have reached out to a few. So far you are the first to respond. Thank you for that.
The only times in my life when I`ve been lean was on LCHF diet. I wasn`t feeling great though.
Now I`m obese, most probably from high sugar/fruit consumption, and I`m shifting back to a mild version of LCHF. Fingers crossed.

CaliforniaKat

Thanks. Yeah, just trying to figure out this whole getting healthy thing haha.

You are hypothyroid, yes? Have you seen a practitioner or tried using thyroid? Though I will admit that most thyroid docs are clueless. I have dragged my feet about getting the book, and finally ordered it today.

I have used both cytomel and NDT in the past. I am currently using NDT, but am thinking about going back to mostly t3. I felt best on that.

CaliforniaKat

The only times in my life when I`ve been lean was on LCHF diet. I wasn`t feeling great though.
Now I`m obese, most probably from high sugar/fruit consumption, and I`m shifting back to a mild version of LCHF. Fingers crossed.

Lol, same. I have a ton of weight to lose and just don't feel good with too little fat.

There has to be a happy medium, I just haven't found it yet. ( But only at this a year).

I'll agree that it might be easier to do high carb once pufa is depleted and excess fat is gotten rid of.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

How do you feel on this diet vs the higher fat diet you were on previously? Do you need or take thyroid? I'm asking because you reference the Broda Barnes book. You may have answered that further back in the thread, but I don't remember seeing it.
I feel worse in some areas, like concentration and the appearance of my skin. Im actually getting pimples regularly, which is brand new.

I may continue to slowly gain weight for the remainder of this PUFA depletion sprint. I foresee weight gain slowing as I near the 5-week mark (a little bit over the 30 days recommended) as PUFA is depleted, and then whatever was gained, quickly and painlessly lost as PUFA all but vanishes.

After that, Ill probably be able to eat "regularly", with a clean metabolic slate, without vegetable oils of course. Probably somewhere like 50-25-25 (carb-protein-fat) - you know, like a regular human being! Thats been the goal this entire time...

CaliforniaKat

After that, Ill probably be able to eat "regularly", with a clean metabolic slate, without vegetable oils of course. Probably somewhere like 50-25-25 (carb-protein-fat) - you know, like a regular human being! Thats been the goal this entire time...

Yes, that would be the goal for me as well. But what I have tried so far has not been incredibly successful. Have you incorporated gelatin/collagen or glycine?

OP
Y

YourUniverse

Yep, good reminder - it was great for focus. I used to have it in coffee, or at least in the morning most days. Its best with meat I think, but I havent had much of that in a long time

redsun

Thanks. Yeah, just trying to figure out this whole getting healthy thing haha. Yeah I think my main mistake was a tad bit too much fat, but worse than that was mixing too much carb with too much fat. When I was keto and had 300-350 gram of fat I didn't really gain any weight at all so fat in and of itself is definitely not the devil. What is a problem is when fat is oxidized as the result of stress. Same with ketones vs ketosis. Ketosis is ultimately unhealthy, ketones are not (from MCT oils and such). Eating fat is not the same though as burning fats as the result of stress. Big but subtle difference. Also carbs, due to promoting insulin, can quickly cause dietary fat to be shuttled into body fat, ESPECIALLY if you reach the point of where carbs no longer get oxidized for fuel (roughly 500g a day from studies). Also probably important to mind the quality of foods you intake. Never eat grain fed meat, grain fed dairy etc. I might experiment with whole milk -- but only from reputable sources (like from the Amish -- there's an Amish brand of milk that they sell near me). I don't trust commercial dairy. Goat cheese I would trust over any other cheeses. I don't even trust Feta cheese, because I've noted that all the brands add gum and other crap to it. Goat cheese is the only safe cheese IMO. Anyway yeah my plan of action is to tiltrate my carbs down to 500g or less (but at least down to 500g) while intaking fats maybe in the 100-150 gram range or so, possibly up to 200g fat if I decide to go to like 300-400 gram carbs. I've also started supplementing B vitamins, eating eggs for choline, to support liver health, and increasing protein. Eggs do have PUFA but I've stopped being paranoid over it. I think the choline more than makes up for the drawbacks of the pufa it has. Plus eggs have cholesterol in them, which are always great.

According to this link from some scientific journal, this MD demonstrated that sufficient B5 can prevent ketosis and argues that ketosis is a stressful processes that is only resorted to when B5 is low. Good article worth a read. He used 10g B5 a day for patients on calorie restricted diets daily which prevent side effects from weight reduction. It appears B5 completely prevented ketosis even when carbs were low. There was a point if carbs were extremely low ketosis still happened, but beyond that B5 prevent the ketosis state and allowed the body fat to be oxidized the way it was meant to.

The titles "Pantothenic Acid and Weight Reduction" and "The Paradox" gets into this topic specifically.

Per the article, I started taking B5 daily, 1.5g to 3g+, especially in meals with fat. Did feel quite different. I no longer have this issue where I can feel when I eat lots of fat in a meal and it didnt satisfy because it was too low in carbs for me then I had the glycogen depleted state that made me get more carbs in me. Its like I was easily oxidizing the fatty acids I ate in the meal without the transition, which most who have done keto transitions even the past know exactly what I mean. If you start feeling iffy when doing higher fat, extra B5 might help, sure as hell helped me. Dont know how much would actually be needed, but 500mg doesnt seem crazy, not too mention because it works.

Cirion

Well I haven't been playing with high fats long yet. But I will say I think I found the upper limit on fats lol. Leave it to me to always take things to extremes haha. I had over 200g fat yesterday and felt like trash this morning. 20% fat I did a lot better on (the 200g fat day was 50%). I will try something more reasonable in the middle like 30%, which is what the studies suggest is optimal anyway, and compare that to how I felt on 20, or 50%.

My gut is telling me a reasonable macro breakdown may look something like 15% protein 60% carb 25% fat. Studies suggest 4x protein to carb, and close to 30% fat calories, so this hits both checkboxes.

The one day I've done good on so far admittedly was a Saturday where I could sleep in, but the nutrition the day previous was like 20% fat 15% protein and 65% carb, and I had a 98.5F waking temp--not bad at all.

CaliforniaKat

I haven't tried it yet, until today. I got the Hypothyroidism book on Monday and have been reading it this week.

Today's food so far was 2 eggs with sauteed spinach in butter, gelatin, CO, cream and milk in my morning coffee, plus one generous cup of watermelon for breakfast.

Lunch was homemade chili with a tbsp of beef tallow and great lakes gelatin added, a ripe mango and glass of milk.

My day so far on cronometer is 50 % fat, and roughly 25% each for carbs and protein. Roughly 1400 cals so far.

I already take thyroid, and have for more than a decade. We will see how this goes.

milkboi

I’m doing calorie restriction now. Basically zero fat/PUFA plus 30g stearic acid, 3000 calories. Losing weight rapidly so far. Temps are still good.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

I haven't tried it yet, until today. I got the Hypothyroidism book on Monday and have been reading it this week.

Today's food so far was 2 eggs with sauteed spinach in butter, gelatin, CO, cream and milk in my morning coffee, plus one generous cup of watermelon for breakfast.

Lunch was homemade chili with a tbsp of beef tallow and great lakes gelatin added, a ripe mango and glass of milk.

My day so far on cronometer is 50 % fat, and roughly 25% each for carbs and protein. Roughly 1400 cals so far.

I already take thyroid, and have for more than a decade. We will see how this goes.
Interested to hear about your appetite, energy, and sleep going forward

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals