Cheese Suggestions

paper_clips43

There are plenty of raw cheeses you can make. You can even do a farmers cheese that only heats the milk up to 104. Just add your lime juice and let sit out for several hours. Alas you do get less cheese though. And the whey left over is still a little milky but good to make smoothies out of with fruit and such.

Also kefir cheese is really magical stuff if you have the time to make it.

But to answer your question. Most people do it with pasteurized milk. It's totally fine. I did it a lot last year. Its easy peazy.

pboy

lol, I just hear jokes about it all the time..but the funny thing is everyone talking about it has fond memories of it, maybe it was just an endearing thing at the time. Considering though the alternatives such as beans or something...it might've been not that bad, I don't know for sure but I think it was like a velveeta type thing made from expiring/powdered milk and low grade cheese fragments, with emulsifiers...at least they were getting protein and calcium

when it comes to cheese for me, theres no denying parmesean or a sharp sheep cheese, I forget the names...but I haven't been eating cheese for a while now, I just prefer milk...its easier to control, a more
versatile tool and I cant really get all the protein I need from cheese without bumping salt or fat higher than I like. I actually prefer just grass fed basic cheddar, Colby, mozzarella, something like that. However...these days I wouldn't eat a rennet cheese just on principle, so im not the best person to ask, im not a cheese conessiuer. A lot of people here make paneer or farmers cheese which seems like an excellent simple protein, no rennet of any kind needed or enzymes, its balanced and a versatile ingredient...I know its huge in india where a lot of people are vegetarian

Zachs

Goat chevre, Havarti and a soft gouda are my favorites. I prefer creamier cheeses.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
FredSonoma said:
I want to make this but it will break my heart to boil my grass-fed raw milk :( If I just buy pasteurized grass-fed milk and make this would it be any different? Is the pasteurization process different than just boiling?

No difference. And you don't want to boil it hard, just a slight boil should do it.

narouz

pboy said:
lol, I just hear jokes about it all the time..but the funny thing is everyone talking about it has fond memories of it, maybe it was just an endearing thing at the time. Considering though the alternatives such as beans or something...it might've been not that bad, I don't know for sure but I think it was like a velveeta type thing made from expiring/powdered milk and low grade cheese fragments, with emulsifiers...at least they were getting protein and calcium

when it comes to cheese for me, theres no denying parmesean or a sharp sheep cheese, I forget the names...but I haven't been eating cheese for a while now, I just prefer milk...its easier to control, a more
versatile tool and I cant really get all the protein I need from cheese without bumping salt or fat higher than I like. I actually prefer just grass fed basic cheddar, Colby, mozzarella, something like that. However...these days I wouldn't eat a rennet cheese just on principle, so im not the best person to ask, im not a cheese conessiuer. A lot of people here make paneer or farmers cheese which seems like an excellent simple protein, no rennet of any kind needed or enzymes, its balanced and a versatile ingredient...I know its huge in india where a lot of people are vegetarian

I respect your vegetarian principles, p.
I noticed that some no-animal-rennet cheeses upset my stomach, I think.
Peat has complained about the widespread practice
of substituting "vegetarian rennet" or enzymes for traditional animal rennet,
calling those enzymes "awful" as I recall.
And then in another response I think he said
that he had noted a lot of people reacting badly to those enzymes;
he said he thought the main culprit was Aspergilus
(here's an study hovering around that topic:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12069/pdf)

So, for those reasons I've been seeking out the traditional rennet cheeses.

On the government cheese thing:
I do remember it.
Seems like they used to have some kind of government program/subsidy
that led to the overproduction of domestic cheese.
I don't know if that program is still ongoing or what....

pboy

yea that's kinda why I don't eat cheese, if I had to id just eat greek yogurt...with the fat in it its like a high protein cream cheese that's nearly equiv calcium and phosphorus, not plus like milk or regular cheese.

Im too young to remember government cheese but its kinda hilarious, it has its own whole life to it lol amongst the people that ate it, and all kinds of meanings of the word cheese are kind of because of it. I think it still exists but not the same kinda thing. Someone should call in to a peat interview and ask him about what he thinks of government cheese lol. I think it has sodium alginate in it, if not for that he might say its not that bad...probably rancid though

Mossy

I think it has sodium alginate in it, if not for that he might say its not that bad...
I've been searching for the Peat perspective on sodium alginate (if there is one), and stumbled upon your comment. Do you have any more information why sodium alginate is bad? If it is. I've read on several other sites that it is a heavy metal chelator, which is a good thing. Thanks.

Mossy

I've been searching for the Peat perspective on sodium alginate (if there is one), and stumbled upon your comment. Do you have any more information why sodium alginate is bad? If it is. I've read on several other sites that it is a heavy metal chelator, which is a good thing. Thanks.
In an effort to help others who may have this question, an article by Peat on carrageenan may be what pboy is alluding to with his comment about sodium alginate being bad. I read online that carrageenan is made from red seaweed and sodium alginate from brown; so, it seems all the negatives of carrageenan apply to sodium alginate.

Ray's article
"In the 1940s, carrageenan, a polysaccharide made from a type of seaweed, was recognized as a dangerous allergen."

ehow.com on carrageenan and sodium alginate:
"Sodium alginate is a type of salt found inside brown algae. Sodium alginate has gelling and emulsification properties. Sodium alginate enables the ice cream to stay softer than it otherwise would while remaining frozen, giving a scoopable and slightly airy texture.
Like sodium alginate, carrageenan is derived from algae (red as opposed to brown). Carrageenan stabilizes the ice cream in the same way the sodium alginate does."

Gametime

Guys,

Are cheeses with blue veins peat approved? E.G Gorgonzola Cheese, Stilton Cheese, Morbier cheese? Is the pencilium part a problem or not?

Are cheeses made with sheep's milk okay?

How much cheese do you guys eat daily? in grams?

Steve123

Could someone tell if the less matured a cheese is, the less amount of glutamic acid it would have present in it? I know parmigianno reggiano has high amount of glutamic acid.. Would a softer cheese be better for lower glutamic acid content? Would Comte Cheese be lower in glutamic acid? Or should i not even worry about glutamic acid at all in the first place? thanks

Steve123

Guys,

Are cheeses with blue veins peat approved? E.G Gorgonzola Cheese, Stilton Cheese, Morbier cheese? Is the pencilium part a problem or not?

Are cheeses made with sheep's milk okay?

How much cheese do you guys eat daily? in grams?
I'd like to know if the blue veined cheeses are okay also?

smith

Could someone tell if the less matured a cheese is, the less amount of glutamic acid it would have present in it? I know parmigianno reggiano has high amount of glutamic acid.. Would a softer cheese be better for lower glutamic acid content? Would Comte Cheese be lower in glutamic acid? Or should i not even worry about glutamic acid at all in the first place? thanks
Bump