Calcium-Phosphorous Ratio Of Cheeses

amethyst

I've recently been having great success by focusing on getting a higher calcium-to-phosphorous ratio in my diet rather than just focusing on calcium.

Dr. Peat has said that this ratio is very important:

It was pretty eye-opening for me to finally investigate the calcium-phosphorous ratio of various foods, and it seems to explain some of the problems I was having, especially using cottage cheese as a diet staple.

It was difficult for me to find a comprehensive list of calcium-phosphorous ratios for various cheeses, so thanks to a comment by @ecstatichamster, I decided to just make a list for reference. I have already found it very helpful, and I hope everyone else does also! (Attached)

Ok, then this article I posted: Cheese: The Secret To A Longer Life And Faster Metabolism? would verify what you are saying about hard cheeses- Kerry cheeses for the win (and Gouda, Gruyere as well) I'm really liking this. So cottage cheese not so good for the phosphorus content?
The article stated that people who ate cheese (predominately hard cheeses) had higher levels of butyric acid which had an effect on people's metabolism and obesity levels.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Ok, then this article I posted: Cheese: The Secret To A Longer Life And Faster Metabolism? would verify what you are saying about hard cheeses- Kerry cheeses for the win (and Gouda, Gruyere as well) I'm really liking this. So cottage cheese not so good for the phosphorus content?
The article stated that people who ate cheese (predominately hard cheeses) had higher levels of butyric acid which had an effect on people's metabolism and obesity levels.
@DaveFoster did you see this? Was remembering your response about using cottage cheese as a solid option in another thread you started. I used to eat cottage cheese more until I saw this thread tbt.

amethyst

@DaveFoster did you see this? Was remembering your response about using cottage cheese as a solid option in another thread you started. I used to eat cottage cheese more until I saw this thread tbt.
Ya know Lisa, I think hard cheeses, good quality ones, just taste better than cottage cheese. To me, they are more filling. Like good butter. You don't have to eat a lot, but enough to keep you satisfied. It's worth it spending extra on good quality brands which are more satisfying than junk, mass produced cheese.

David PS

Coincidently, gouda is a great source of vitamin K2. From Why Vitamin K2 is so important (and how to get it)

• Aged and curd cheeses – Gouda has the highest content of vitamin K2 than any other cheese with approximately 20 mcg per ounce. Brie, Jarlsberg’s and Edam are also good sources as are traditional curd cheeses. Other aged, hard cheeses have some vitamin K2 as well. Switzerland, with its high dairy and vitamin k2 cheese consumption, has the 2nd highest longevity rate in the world.If you consume these cheeses regularly, then you probably don’t need to do much more.

amethyst

Just adding to the discussion, here's an interesting article on Butyrate (which was mentioned in the previous article I posted) as to why this acid in hard cheeses, among other things, is good for you. It's good for your gut. It's anti-inflammatory.

The Health Benefits of Butyrate: Meet the Anti-Inflammatory Fat

The article also mentions why getting this acid, needs fiber as well to help with anti-inflammation...."vegetables with butter"....hmmm...sounds pretty much like good Peat advice to me..

Last edited:
Its nice to know that Gruyere, Gouda, Brie are great source of K2. Also my favorite.

I also do like some blue cheese like Stilton Muele & Stilton Georgian.

Coincidently, gouda is a great source of vitamin K2. From Why Vitamin K2 is so important (and how to get it)

• Aged and curd cheeses – Gouda has the highest content of vitamin K2 than any other cheese with approximately 20 mcg per ounce. Brie, Jarlsberg’s and Edam are also good sources as are traditional curd cheeses. Other aged, hard cheeses have some vitamin K2 as well. Switzerland, with its high dairy and vitamin k2 cheese consumption, has the 2nd highest longevity rate in the world.If you consume these cheeses regularly, then you probably don’t need to do much more.

L

lollipop

Ya know Lisa, I think hard cheeses, good quality ones, just taste better than cottage cheese. To me, they are more filling. Like good butter. You don't have to eat a lot, but enough to keep you satisfied. It's worth it spending extra on good quality brands which are more satisfying than junk, mass produced cheese.
+1 sooooooo AGREE about the flavor!

amethyst

Its nice to know that Gruyere, Gouda, Brie are great source of K2. Also my favorite.

I also do like some blue cheese like Stilton Muele & Stilton Georgian.
Stilton cheese is da bomb!

tigerlily96

Nothing to do with my original post but A2 dairy I cope far far better with than A1 I know Ray doesn't think it should matter, it certainly does to me.

beachbum

I think whey cheeses are the ones with good ratio of ca to p.

P attached to casein and you loss calcium by removing whey.
Did you look at the chart a few posts up. Riccotta is alot better in ratio c to ph then cottage cheese but riccotta is higher in fat I think. I m going to try and use a diet going by the c to ph ratio for weighloss to see if it works. Im going to not pay attention so much to the fat just c to ph ratio.

paymanz

Did you look at the chart a few posts up. Riccotta is alot better in ratio c to ph then cottage cheese but riccotta is higher in fat I think. I m going to try and use a diet going by the c to ph ratio for weighloss to see if it works. Im going to not pay attention so much to the fat just c to ph ratio.
That's cool,however you also can improve the ratio by adding some calcium supplement.

but the chart shows many hard cheeses with favorable calcium to phosphorous ratios...cheese is made by REMOVING the whey...

beachbum

but the chart shows many hard cheeses with favorable calcium to phosphorous ratios...cheese is made by REMOVING the whey...
Yes I saw that..too Im making a list of them. So is there whey in riccotta? Sorry if that is a dumb question, the reason I picked riccotta because I don't like cottage cheese and I was going to use the riccotta to add pineapple and/or pappaya to it. Pappaya is high in c to ph ratio like 2 to 1 or higher and pineapple is 1 to1. also carob has a really good ratio.

beachbum

That's cool,however you also can improve the ratio by adding some calcium supplement.
I did think of that but I m trying to stay away from supplements as of now and try using foods for most of my nutrients..lol we'll see.

to make cheese you get the "curds" (casein mostly) separate from the "whey" and you then strain and keep the curds.

That's why if the calcium is in the whey, how can hard cheeses be so favorable in Ca-P ratios?

beachbum

to make cheese you get the "curds" (casein mostly) separate from the "whey" and you then strain and keep the curds.

That's why if the calcium is in the whey, how can hard cheeses be so favorable in Ca-P ratios?
I just read how they make it. The cottage cheese is from the curds and riccotta is from whey. Very interesing, didnt know that. Okay I read more and I guess hard cheese is made from whey too.

Last edited: