Hypogonadism/insomnia please HELP!

princeamir

I am a 21 year old martial arts athlete that been competeing on a professional level for 5 years now. I have due to weight classes for competitions been on various fad diets (paleo, lowcarb,low fat and really low in calories). After two years i started to freeze and have a severe insomnia. I was diagnosed with both hypogonadism (low testosterone) and a slight hypothyrodism before i even became 19. I have lost hope for the doctors and GP. I have decided now to take stuff in my own hand.

I have been peating now for 2 months and already feel a little bit better but my insomnia is still there and i have low energy during the day. My morning temp is 96.8 and pulse under 50 bpm.

I am 5,5 tall and weigh 140 pounds.
And i am exercising 4-5 times a week.

My diet consist of: 120 protein. 200 g of carbs and 35 g of fat (1800 kcals)

Breakfast:
2 eggwhites and a whole egg on rice cakes with cottage cheese and fruits/honey

Lunch: quinoa with lean grassfed beef or potatoes and beef

Dinner/nightsnack: 4-5 rice cakes with honey and fruits on top with cottage cheese and milk .

Liver once a week
I dont count sugar or coconut oil i use.
Drinking oj everyday with a raw carrot

Supplements:
D vitamin in the morning with probiotics.
Zink and magnesium at night

Any suggestions on diet change/supplements/lifestyle ?

Please help, i know many people here on the forum got better and after giving up on the so called "doctors" i am happy to try anything.

One thing for sure, is that your calories are definitely low. I've recently discovered that as well, my calories intake have been chronically low for YEARS due to dieting. My greatest health times are also the times I didn't give a *beep* about calories + exercised minimally.

Track your calories man, even the maintenance is WAY above 1800 for 140 lbs 5'5 man who exercise (especially you said you're an athlete)

Actually track it, even for a day you'll realize you might benefit from eating more.

I just took a RANDOM calorie calculator online and plugged in your data
I got 2755.7 for you (setting as heavy activity)

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-w ... ulator-men

And this is to MAINTAIN your weight.

OP
P

princeamir

knockinondoors said:
post 103510 One thing for sure, is that your calories are definitely low. I've recently discovered that as well, my calories intake have been chronically low for YEARS due to dieting. My greatest health times are also the times I didn't give a *beep* about calories + exercised minimally.

Track your calories man, even the maintenance is WAY above 1800 for 140 lbs 5'5 man who exercise (especially you said you're an athlete)

Actually track it, even for a day you'll realize you might benefit from eating more.

I just took a RANDOM calorie calculator online and plugged in your data
I got 2755.7 for you (setting as heavy activity)

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-w ... ulator-men

And this is to MAINTAIN your weight.

Thanks for the response. I actually track my calories using myfitnesspal and i completley agree with you about increasing calories. But i dont know why but my appetite is not that good and if i eat too much i get bloated and feeling sick. But i am going to do my best to just keep increasing.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

bluebrasil

My recent similar health problems and insomnia have completely gone after nearly a year of peating. I put it down to the 4 pints of milk a day, lots of haribo and 8000iu of vit D. Yes eat all the other stuff you mention too but id concentrate on those 3 things. You will put on a bit of fat but who cares as long as you sleep all night and are in tip top sexual condition?

OP
P

princeamir

bluebrasil said:
post 103582 My recent similar health problems and insomnia have completely gone after nearly a year of peating. I put it down to the 4 pints of milk a day, lots of haribo and 8000iu of vit D. Yes eat all the other stuff you mention too but id concentrate on those 3 things. You will put on a bit of fat but who cares as long as you sleep all night and are in tip top sexual condition?
Please can you share some of your journey and give a young guy some hope. I have already given up on the doctors etc.

bluebrasil

Pretty much what I did is I the thread Peat Results, which i started last week. I hadn't posted at all until I was sure the results were real. They are. And I'm twice your age so you should recover quicker. Plus stop with all that exercise. It all worked for me.

tara

:welcome princeamir

princeamir said:
post 103507 Any suggestions on diet change/supplements/lifestyle ?

knockinondoors said:
post 103510 One thing for sure, is that your calories are definitely low.

That's my guess too.
I'd suggest seeing what happens if you try doubling or trippling your carbs at least, but I see you don't count extra sugar and coconut oil - so maybe you are eating more than the very low 200g carb/1800cals. You may need to increase somewhat gradually, if it's a while since you've eaten normal amounts. Long-term low carbs and/or low calories can be expected to increase stress hormones, reduce metabolism, reduce some hormones (includin testosterone), mess with sleep and energy levels. Sometimes it messes with the cells' ability to burn carbs well, too - there are a few ex-low-carbers here who have had trouble with hyperglycemia.

I don't think everyone needs 800IU vit-D daily - depends on your current state, whether you are getting sunhine, etc.

princeamir said:
post 103545 But i dont know why but my appetite is not that good and if i eat too much i get bloated and feeling sick.
I think this is a normal consequence of prolonged under-eating. The digestive system tends to slow down to get more out of the food, and can get reduced function in various ways because it too is undernourished and short of energy. I don't know any way around it other than to try to add more snacks, and try to find things that digest easier for you. Some people find smoothies with milk, cottage cheese, fruit, honey, icecream, etc an easy way to get in more food. Consider taking inspiration form the hobbits, and Pooh, etc, and adding in second breakfasts, elevenses, afternoon tea, supper. And if necessary to get back to sleep, midnight snacks. If there are particular foods you notice causing you trouble, you can try replacing them with sth easier.

If glycogen stores are too low, they can run out in the night, causing stress hormones to rise, which can wake us up. Eating enough through the day can really help with this. But if the liver is struggling with overwork uand undernourishement, it can struggle to store enough glycogen, too. So sometimes midnight snacks help for a while too.

There may be other factors at play too, but I think it's worth seeing what eating normal amounts does. Not sure of you age, but normal for men is about 3000 cals, more up to 25yrs while still growing and maturing.

You might find stevensmith's story interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=110&p=22059&hilit=hypogonadism#p22059

lexis

Try taking beef liver daily- For Vitamin A
Low dose P5P
And try to increase DHT with low dhea dose

lexis

princeamir said:
post 103507 I am a 21 year old martial arts athlete that been competeing on a professional level for 5 years now. I have due to weight classes for competitions been on various fad diets (paleo, lowcarb,low fat and really low in calories). After two years i started to freeze and have a severe insomnia. I was diagnosed with both hypogonadism (low testosterone) and a slight hypothyrodism before i even became 19. I have lost hope for the doctors and GP. I have decided now to take stuff in my own hand.

Whats the quality of your hair?

OP
P

princeamir

tara said:
post 103660 :welcome princeamir

princeamir said:
post 103507 Any suggestions on diet change/supplements/lifestyle ?

knockinondoors said:
post 103510 One thing for sure, is that your calories are definitely low.

That's my guess too.
I'd suggest seeing what happens if you try doubling or trippling your carbs at least, but I see you don't count extra sugar and coconut oil - so maybe you are eating more than the very low 200g carb/1800cals. You may need to increase somewhat gradually, if it's a while since you've eaten normal amounts. Long-term low carbs and/or low calories can be expected to increase stress hormones, reduce metabolism, reduce some hormones (includin testosterone), mess with sleep and energy levels. Sometimes it messes with the cells' ability to burn carbs well, too - there are a few ex-low-carbers here who have had trouble with hyperglycemia.

I don't think everyone needs 800IU vit-D daily - depends on your current state, whether you are getting sunhine, etc.

princeamir said:
post 103545 But i dont know why but my appetite is not that good and if i eat too much i get bloated and feeling sick.
I think this is a normal consequence of prolonged under-eating. The digestive system tends to slow down to get more out of the food, and can get reduced function in various ways because it too is undernourished and short of energy. I don't know any way around it other than to try to add more snacks, and try to find things that digest easier for you. Some people find smoothies with milk, cottage cheese, fruit, honey, icecream, etc an easy way to get in more food. Consider taking inspiration form the hobbits, and Pooh, etc, and adding in second breakfasts, elevenses, afternoon tea, supper. And if necessary to get back to sleep, midnight snacks. If there are particular foods you notice causing you trouble, you can try replacing them with sth easier.

If glycogen stores are too low, they can run out in the night, causing stress hormones to rise, which can wake us up. Eating enough through the day can really help with this. But if the liver is struggling with overwork uand undernourishement, it can struggle to store enough glycogen, too. So sometimes midnight snacks help for a while too.

There may be other factors at play too, but I think it's worth seeing what eating normal amounts does. Not sure of you age, but normal for men is about 3000 cals, more up to 25yrs while still growing and maturing.

You might find stevensmith's story interesting:
https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... ism#p22059

Thank you Tara. I have read stevensmith story and it was actually that one that inspired me to find out whats wrong. I am gradully increasing my carbohydrates and up now in 230 g of carbs with 1850 kcals but i have hard time hitting my numbers everyday because of digestive issues sometimes.

I am also going to consider your advice with smaller frequent meals. I usually have 2 ricecakes with honey and a glass of milk with glycine,sugar and salt before sleep. My issue is not staying asleep but actually falling asleep. I have also ordered NDT.

OP
P

princeamir

lexis said:
post 103661 Try taking beef liver daily- For Vitamin A
Low dose P5P
And try to increase DHT with low dhea dose

I have lamb liver once a week.
What is P5P?

OP
P

princeamir

lexis said:
post 103662
princeamir said:
post 103507 I am a 21 year old martial arts athlete that been competeing on a professional level for 5 years now. I have due to weight classes for competitions been on various fad diets (paleo, lowcarb,low fat and really low in calories). After two years i started to freeze and have a severe insomnia. I was diagnosed with both hypogonadism (low testosterone) and a slight hypothyrodism before i even became 19. I have lost hope for the doctors and GP. I have decided now to take stuff in my own hand.

Whats the quality of your hair?
I have no problem with the quality of my hair. It is thick and grows fast.

Could it indicate something ?

lexis

Estrogen can cause low libido and hair loss.

High dose Vitamin A can bring it down.

Some forum members have reported improved libido with Lisuride.

P5P is one of the forms of Vitamin b6.

PhilParma

bluebrasil said:
What about the fact that the main ingredient is "corn syrup?" Is that okay as long as it's not specifically labeled "High Fructose Corn Syrup?" I don't want to eat any HFCS, ever. I just want to make sure that they can't disguise "corn syrup" as HFCS.

slayers

If you have true hypogonadism why not just go right to T shots....Doing the ray peat stuff will work but it won't help your hypogonadism.

Joocy_J

slayers said:
post 103699 If you have true hypogonadism why not just go right to T shots....Doing the ray peat stuff will work but it won't help your hypogonadism.

How do you know if you have secondary or 'true" hypogonadism? Also, how did you decide on shots vs gel? thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals