Cheese Suggestions

ilovethesea

Charlie said:
I actually let my friend walk me through it on the phone because she makes that stuff every couple days. Its really simple. Once you make it one time its a breeze, so don't sweat it.

I purchased raw milk and sucked the cream off the top with a turkey baster.

Put the milk in pot. Turn on the heat but dont turn it up super high so the milk doesnt burn. I think the slower you can bring it to a boil the better. Right before it starts to boil, take your vinegar and pour it in. Pour in like a tablespoon and start stirring the milk. Wait to see if it starts to curdle, if it doesnt, pour in some more, its not exact science so dont sweat it. When it starts to separate you can stop pouring the vinegar in. Let the milk get to a very light boil. Once you see the water starts to get pretty clear(not totally clear but it looks a lot clearer then usual milk) around the cheese, then turn it off and let it cool. I didnt let it get to a heavy boil, only a slight boil. Then, I use a double layer cheese cloth and then strain the cheese out. Once all your cheese is in the cloth, I make the cheese and cloth into a big ball and squeeze all the whey out as much as possible. Chill, add salt, coconut oil if you want, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Charlie, I just attempted this using 1 litre of skim milk. It only yielded about 1/3 of a cup of cheese (cooling in the fridge now). Does that sound about right? I wasn't expecting it to be so little - or for there to be so much liquid left over (like it looks like I have as much as I started in milk). Did I do something wrong or is this normal? Do you think it would work better with whole milk?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I got about a pound of cheese from a gallon of milk. Sounds about right I reckon.

ilovethesea

Ok cool, I was worried that I messed it up. So what is the liquid - is that all whey? Is there anything I can do with it or is it junk?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think its whey. I tossed it out.

ilovethesea

Ok thanks. One more question. If Peat says you can get 66 grams of protein from drinking 2 quarts of milk per day (about the same as 2 litres) then does the same go for this cheese, if I started with the same amount of milk? If I use 2 quarts to make cheese does the end result still contain 66 grams?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No because whey is protein, so you lose protein.

J

j.

If you go to wolframalpha.com, you can put like 100 grams cheese protein, and it will tell you how much protein is contained in 100 grams of cheese.

ilovethesea

Darn about the protein. Based on that site j. (thanks!) I estimate that it reduces it in half compared to the milk you start with... about 10-15 grams of protein.

Anyway, just chilled and salted it and it is delicious! Thanks Charlie, will be making again! Especially seeing as there are only 2 brands of cheese I've found near me that aren't filled with crap....

J

j.

ilovethesea said:
Darn about the protein. Based on that site j. (thanks!) I estimate that it reduces it in half compared to the milk you start with... about 10-15 grams of protein.

The bright side is that it keeps the higher quality protein.

superhuman

Charlie: i made cottage cheese from 2 Liters of skimmed milk and i got 209 grams of cheese. Whats the nutrition in this? in terms of carbs and protein? the cottage cheese is alot thicker, denser and dryer then the one i buy in stores.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am not sure what the nutrition is. According to Mittir it will have a lot less calcium than milk.

superhuman

Sure but what about the protein and carb content, that is what im after :) Mittir could you come in and explain :)

tinkerer

I like parmigiano reggiano, but I like Zamorano even better. As a hard cheese, I'm guessing that Zamorano would be Peat-approved too and I get the least negative symptom reactions to it of any cheese I've tried.

"A good Zamorano has the same regal bearing as French Beaufort [Gruyère-style], Zamorano cheese or parmigiano reggiano." (Sheep's Milk Cheeses and Wines to Pair with Them, http://www.worldsofflavorspain.com/node/447)

I also seem to fare well with Manchego, and also find it tasty. Both Zamorano and Manchego are raw sheep cheeses.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
tinkerer, :welcome

Dutchie

tinkerer said:
I like parmigiano reggiano, but I like Zamorano even better. As a hard cheese, I'm guessing that Zamorano would be Peat-approved too and I get the least negative symptom reactions to it of any cheese I've tried.

"A good Zamorano has the same regal bearing as French Beaufort [Gruyère-style], Zamorano cheese or parmigiano reggiano." (Sheep's Milk Cheeses and Wines to Pair with Them, http://www.worldsofflavorspain.com/node/447)

I also seem to fare well with Manchego, and also find it tasty. Both Zamorano and Manchego are raw sheep cheeses.
I love Manchego as well! And instead of Parmaggiano I love&eat Peccorino,which is also made of (rae) sheepmilk.

Dan W

Re: Tillamook White Cheddar

narouz said:
What with all the fear off cheese made with anything other than Animal Rennet
I've been liking this very inexpensive cheese at Whole Paycheck:

It's called "Tillamook White Cheddar."

Not perfect,
but tastes pretty good and palatable in rather large quantity.

$2.99 per pound!!

I noticed Danny Roddy quoting Peat:
Ray Peat said:
Tillamook white cheddar, aged 2 years, has natural ingredients, and Reggiano is the other one that I have confidence in. A big European company supplies most of the cheese makers in the world with standardized additives, but they wouldn't tell me what preservatives or binding materials are used in their preparation. I think impurities from aspergillus could account for the digestive symptoms so many people have started having to cheese in the last few years.

FredSonoma

Charlie said:
I actually let my friend walk me through it on the phone because she makes that stuff every couple days. Its really simple. Once you make it one time its a breeze, so don't sweat it.

I purchased raw milk and sucked the cream off the top with a turkey baster.

Put the milk in pot. Turn on the heat but dont turn it up super high so the milk doesnt burn. I think the slower you can bring it to a boil the better. Right before it starts to boil, take your vinegar and pour it in. Pour in like a tablespoon and start stirring the milk. Wait to see if it starts to curdle, if it doesnt, pour in some more, its not exact science so dont sweat it. When it starts to separate you can stop pouring the vinegar in. Let the milk get to a very light boil. Once you see the water starts to get pretty clear(not totally clear but it looks a lot clearer then usual milk) around the cheese, then turn it off and let it cool. I didnt let it get to a heavy boil, only a slight boil. Then, I use a double layer cheese cloth and then strain the cheese out. Once all your cheese is in the cloth, I make the cheese and cloth into a big ball and squeeze all the whey out as much as possible. Chill, add salt, coconut oil if you want, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I want to make this but it will break my heart to boil my grass-fed raw milk :( If I just buy pasteurized grass-fed milk and make this would it be any different? Is the pasteurization process different than just boiling?

narouz

Re: Tillamook White Cheddar

Dan Wich said:
narouz said:
What with all the fear off cheese made with anything other than Animal Rennet
I've been liking this very inexpensive cheese at Whole Paycheck:

It's called "Tillamook White Cheddar."

Not perfect,
but tastes pretty good and palatable in rather large quantity.

$2.99 per pound!!

I noticed Danny Roddy quoting Peat:
Ray Peat said:
Tillamook white cheddar, aged 2 years, has natural ingredients, and Reggiano is the other one that I have confidence in. A big European company supplies most of the cheese makers in the world with standardized additives, but they wouldn't tell me what preservatives or binding materials are used in their preparation. I think impurities from aspergillus could account for the digestive symptoms so many people have started having to cheese in the last few years.

Wow.
That's pretty cool, Dan.
I'm sorry I missed this like 4 months ago or whatever. :lol:
I often forget to subscribe to topics I post on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals