Greek Yogurt?

sprinter

I'd like to get some opinions on making Greek Yogurt a major part of one's diet (around 3-4 cups a day)?

I've been trying to digest low-fat milk for years, trying different brands and different methods, but I've never been able to consume without upset. It could be the added vitamins, pasteurization, homogenization, quality, etc, but its just doesn't work in the amounts I'd like to consume. Whole milk digests better, but too much weight gain.

I also eat cheese, but I haven't been able to find any low-fat cheese without added cultures, enzymes or other junk, so I'd like to add in Greek Yogurt. Maybe I'll try making Farmer's cheese at some point.

It seems the concerns with Greek Yogurt would be the lactic acid (but Greek is better the regular yogurt in that regard) and possibly the probiotics? I'm not sure.

Do you think it would be ok to consume 3-4 cups of Greek Yogurt a day? I don't notice any problem eating it, other then I don't really like the sour taste. What signs should I look out for that it's not good for me?

Also, I always pour off any liquid on top.

Thanks!

tara

I wonder whether your distaste for the sour is an indicator that your body doesn't want too much of that lactic acid?

Some people seem to be OK with quite a bit of Greek yogurt, and others are sensitive to smaller amounts. You may just have to experiment with the effects for you.

Making your own fresh farmers cheese is pretty easy using vinegar, so I'd recommend giving it a go. If you have access to animal rennet, you can make an even better tasting one with just a bit more time.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Probably. It makes sense that milk should be better for me simply because I enjoy the taste. I don't like yogurt! I'd bet that if I could get high-quality, unpasteurized, non-homogenized, skim milk without added vitamins it would be a different story. But I'm in NY and on a budget, so if eating that much Greek Yogurt isn't too bad for me, I'll deal with the taste.