Good sources of food in the States?

aquaman

Hi all

I'm in the US for 2 weeks (Bay Area).

Went to Safeway yesterday, most of the foods I wanted contained weird stuff - cheese, cottage cheese (SO many stabilisers, urgh), milk, juice.

All of them contained nasty things as well as added vitamins (A, D, Calcium). Why can't I get pure food in this country?!

Anyway, recommendations for where to buy good cheeses, milk, orange juice, good quality seafood and ripe tropical fruits?? Or particular brands to look for if I go to certain stores. There's a Trader Joe's near where I'm staying. Online shopping is *probably* out, unless it's super quick and easy.

Thanks!

sprinter

Whole Foods - Organic & Pastured Milk, Orange Juice, Raw Honey, Liver, Seafood, Refined Coconut Oil, Organic Carrots, Grassfed Butter, Organic Kale (for broth), Chocolate, Fresh Oysters.

Trader Joes - Hard Cheese, Raw Honey, Organic Orange Juice, Organic Coffee, Grassfed Beef, Frozen Seafood, Fruit, Grassfed Butter, Chocolate

Online - Gelatin, Salt, Canned Oysters, Vitamins

Random Stores - Daisy Cottage Cheese, White Vinegar, Paper Bags, Baking Soda, Epsom Salt

OP
A

aquaman

sprinter said:
Whole Foods - Organic & Pastured Milk, Orange Juice, Raw Honey, Liver, Seafood, Refined Coconut Oil, Organic Carrots, Grassfed Butter, Organic Kale (for broth), Chocolate, Fresh Oysters.

Trader Joes - Hard Cheese, Raw Honey, Organic Orange Juice, Organic Coffee, Grassfed Beef, Frozen Seafood, Fruit, Grassfed Butter, Chocolate

Online - Gelatin, Salt, Canned Oysters, Vitamins

Random Stores - Daisy Cottage Cheese, White Vinegar, Paper Bags, Baking Soda, Epsom Salt

great, thanks!

BingDing

sprinter said:
i cant find lowfat milk without added A or D anywhere
It's illegal, the poobahs from hell passed a law. You can find raw/unhomogenized milk in California but it probably takes some effort. Skim the fat off the top is the only way to make reduced fat milk without added vitamins (and the likely toxins that come with the vitamins).

pboy

yea...there will always be random places here and there with some good stuff...but pretty much whole foods, sprouts, trader joes are in most major cities and can supply you pretty well (as far as national chains go). Online is good for anything non perishable. In the bay area...you could ask around, its probably got some of the best quality food in the country...im sure there are plenty of good local shops near

J

j.

BingDing said:
Skim the fat off the top is the only way to make reduced fat milk without added vitamins (and the likely toxins that come with the vitamins).

That tastes better than the reduced fat milk you get at the stores, and I think it's also less expensive. So it's a win from a taste, expense, and additives point of view. Maybe time it's the only drawback.