Calcium-Phosphorous Ratio Of Cheeses

DrJ

I've recently been having great success by focusing on getting a higher calcium-to-phosphorous ratio in my diet rather than just focusing on calcium.

Dr. Peat has said that this ratio is very important:

“The ratio of calcium to phosphate is very important; that’s why milk and cheese are so valuable for weight loss, or for preventing weight gain. For people who aren’t very active, low fat milk and cheese are better, because the extra fat calories aren’t needed.” -- Ray Peat

It was pretty eye-opening for me to finally investigate the calcium-phosphorous ratio of various foods, and it seems to explain some of the problems I was having, especially using cottage cheese as a diet staple.

It was difficult for me to find a comprehensive list of calcium-phosphorous ratios for various cheeses, so thanks to a comment by @ecstatichamster, I decided to just make a list for reference. I have already found it very helpful, and I hope everyone else does also! (Attached)

Attachments

• CalciumPhosphorousRatio.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,052

BobbyDukes

People should add some extra foods in there (if they'd care to source them), as dairy isn't for everyone, and there are other foods other than dairy. Some people just can't do dairy at all.

But yes, it's the ratio that's important. The calcium content alone doesn't mean anything really (if phosphorus is, say, twice as high, comparatively).

paymanz

Thank you this.

I was under the impression that all cheeses have low Ca to P ratio,lower than 1 , where you got the numbers?

paymanz

Uh i see you mentioned nutrition data, thank you its good info.its eye opening for me because ray mentioned cheese a lot of time and I always wondered about this concern.

So I sometimes make cheese with adding vinegar to hot milk,do you guys know what category that cheese can go?

achillea

Uh i see you mentioned nutrition data, thank you its good info.its eye opening for me because ray mentioned cheese a lot of time and I always wondered about this concern.

So I sometimes make cheese with adding vinegar to hot milk,do you guys know what category that cheese can go?
It is cottage cheese.

L

lollipop

Great list @DrJ - appreciate the post. @dd99 thank you for the fruits and vegetables list.

Very cool. These kind of posts move us all forward...

paymanz

I think whey cheeses are the ones with good ratio of ca to p.

P attached to casein and you loss calcium by removing whey.

paymanz

What if your hair analysis shows high calcium to phos ratio?
Higher ca to p ratio is a general principal for good nutrition.

If your hair analysis show abnormal high ratio that can be a problem somewhere that need to be corrected.

amethyst

Wish I knew how to make my own cheese. Have a recipe you'd be willing to post? I suppose you have to age cheese to get the right flavor. Right now I'm loving Kerrygold Irish cheeses. Sooooo good! :hungry: And their butter is fabulous too.

OP
DrJ

DrJ

Whey is not good. Ray says it can be high in damaged or oxidized proteins. Also, the calcium to phosphate ratio is for your DIET, not your hair or blood tests.

paymanz

Wish I knew how to make my own cheese. Have a recipe you'd be willing to post? I suppose you have to age cheese to get the right flavor. Right now I'm loving Kerrygold Irish cheeses. Sooooo good! :hungry: And their butter is fabulous too.
haha no mine is not that delicious(but its still good), its not that type of aged cheese, i guess for that you need some cultures of bacteria or yeast to ferment it.
its the recipe, its so simple and its better to be eaten fresh:
Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Cheese suggestions

Last edited:

paymanz

i agree that whey is not a god thing due to high tryptophan content. by removing whey you can lower tryptophan level in cheese but you also loss calcium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals