Has Anybody Cured Their Depression?

tyler

If your looking for a substance, my rat found @haidut Lisuride to be incredibly effective for rising from lows, with zero side effects or withdrawal symptoms. It provided a very natural feeling of content and optimism- nothing speedy like stimulants.
It seems that others have had some issues with it but mine has been nothing but positive.

What is the opinion you hold of yourself? I have found that in my experience, my self-image is key to happiness and achieving goals. With a high self-image, I am unstoppable towards any goal I want to achieve. There is a satisfaction with myself, and no one can take that from me. With a low self-image, I am impressionable and external things/people control my happiness.

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

This is telling. I can totally relate.

Dont try and intellectualise. For example a logical supplement/diet/thyroid approach is the answer, it might help but i think there are more deep seated issues.

Do you fear success? Is it more comforting not to try ? Does it feel safe? Is the outside world a threatening place? I might be depressed but at least i feel secure, my parents will look after me? I dont want to take responsibility for my life? Do i want to grow up? What are my ambitions , do ihave any.? Why cant you express your emotions? What stops you? What would happen if you did?

Are these questions uncomfortable/threatening?

Ya I have tried every diet strategy and Peat supplement under the sun more or less with marginal results. I feel like I have more of a self defeating behavior issue/ learned helplessness rather than a need for a better diet or supplements.

I relate to all those thoughts. I think it is an extension of learned helplessness and dependency on my parents.

I think maybe I need to get into routines that establish my independence and get me away from my parents.

Last edited:
OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

If your looking for a substance, my rat found @haidut Lisuride to be incredibly effective for rising from lows, with zero side effects or withdrawal symptoms. It provided a very natural feeling of content and optimism- nothing speedy like stimulants.
It seems that others have had some issues with it but mine has been nothing but positive.

What is the opinion you hold of yourself? I have found that in my experience, my self-image is key to happiness and achieving goals. With a high self-image, I am unstoppable towards any goal I want to achieve. There is a satisfaction with myself, and no one can take that from me. With a low self-image, I am impressionable and external things/people control my happiness.

Lisuride is definitely an interesting drug- I will maybe give it a try because I have had success in the past with low doses of LSD.

Self -image is key for sure. Motorbiking gives me a lot more self confidence and I have been meaning to take up skydiving. This is something I need to work harder on because I feel like a bit of a loser right now with my present situation.

encerent

Good sleep ameliorates my depression the most. Now how I get good sleep is another question...

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

Good sleep ameliorates my depression the most. Now how I get good sleep is another question...

Agreed. Good sleep is key. I am a life long insomniac

bohogirl

I have never expressed my emotions to anybody. Not sure if it's just my personality maybe. This is also the main reason I haven't sought out a doctor or therapist.

How old are you?

Are you happy with your life?

Do you deal with all problems on your own? Do you have a support system?

I think that depression is related to emotion, and the only way to be happy is to address those emotions.

I too keep my emotions to myself. :(

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

How old are you?

Are you happy with your life?

Do you deal with all problems on your own? Do you have a support system?

I think that depression is related to emotion, and the only way to be happy is to address those emotions.

I too keep my emotions to myself. :(

I just turned 20. I deal with everything myself but this is mostly my own fault, I close myself off from other people.

I agree depression is related to emotion and generally feeling bad about your situation in life.

walker_in_aus

Hi Dopamine,

I've definitely come through it, and I think everyone can. As with most things, there is probably some root causes. First time I was depressed I believe it was environmental - I moved from a rural area to the centre of a big city (wi-fried, blue lit, cellphone radiated), started drinking a lot, eating badly... I cried a lot, I had more anxiety, I would hide in my room and have to be fake person in public, hated myself... I was given SSRIs... I tried them and never went on them again.
Second time, I just wanted therapy - Two close friends had committed suicide and it was exceedingly traumatic, and I couldn't sleep. I found a really great psychologist. There are good ones and bad ones, and different from everyone. It's very freeing talking to someone who is paid to listen. She was tough but helpful - identified the bad thought processes and told me to think new ones. sounds stupid but that worked for me.

Third time, post operative depression. Became suicidal (just so tired and empty that you think it would be easier to drive into a tree than get home and get the groceries out of the car... depression is a terrible thing!). I went on Valdoxan. It's not really an SSRI, it does this:

The active substance in Valdoxan/Thymanax, agomelatine, is a ‘melatonergic agonist’ and a ‘5-HT2C antagonist’. This means that agomelatine stimulates the melatonin receptors MT1 and MT2 (these receptors are normally activated by a natural hormone, melatonin) and it blocks the 5-HT2C receptors (these receptors are normally activated by a chemical messenger, serotonin).

I took it for three months, then had enough life back into to me to get more sun, eat better, walk more, start yoga. All these things help. I stopped taking it after six months. I was fine for a year or so.

FOURTH TIME (And final, I am hopeful) I gave myself psychological insomnia where I had trained my brain to believe sleep was dangerous. I also believe now, that I was having problems with cortisol, high estrogen etc (hindsight is a wonderful thing) trying to go very low carb. Ha. I tried everything, I had temazepam, I had propranolol, Valdoxan didn't work, I tried yoga... I was doping myself every night.

AND THEN I FOUND HYPNOSIS. It worked immediately! I still have a dodgy night every few weeks but I'm onto the whole thyroid, messed metabolism stuff and I'm going great. So you have many options and don't be worried about it. You will be ok. :)

bohogirl

I just turned 20. I deal with everything myself but this is mostly my own fault, I close myself off from other people.

I agree depression is related to emotion and generally feeling bad about your situation in life.

First step would be to find a therapist to talk to. It should help you a lot. Everything that you want in life - go after it. You're not a loser.

Constatine

How often are you in bright sunlight? And effective treatment when nothing else is working is to spend 8 hours + outside in the sun preferably with your shirt off. This is a long termine procedure but will only take a few days before you see dramatic results. Take niacinamide to not get sun burned. Also where do you live because sun light therapy is more effective the closet you are to the equator. This has gotten me out of the worst of times. When individual tweaks are not working it is best to dramatically alter your life style (while remaining relatively structured). Also I saw it mentioned that intelligence is often the source of depression (I assume this has to do with the life is meaningless argument, no God, ect). This is true only when one has both great intelligence and pride. Pride is a most dangerous foe. The life is meaningless perspective (or other such depressing perspectives) typically appeal to intellectuals because it seems logical of course. Intellectuals have enough introspection to detach logical processes from emotional processes hence why so many intellectuals develope negative world views. Does this eliminate bias however? No. In order to seek an unbiased, accurate, and maybe even positive world view one must deconstruct our most basic logical assumptions and learn how truly foolish we all are. One must abandon pride, empty his/her cup, and develop a new kind of awareness that does not draw on logical fallacies and grand assumptions. After one has done this they will see the world with a new type of novelty, much like a child looking at the world for the first time.
What is your religious beliefs or lack of beliefs if I may ask? Religion is heavily involved in a person's emotional security and thus it is very important that you have beliefs that serve your best interest while not being born of logical fallacies or imagination.

Last edited:
OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

Hi Dopamine,

I've definitely come through it, and I think everyone can. As with most things, there is probably some root causes. First time I was depressed I believe it was environmental - I moved from a rural area to the centre of a big city (wi-fried, blue lit, cellphone radiated), started drinking a lot, eating badly... I cried a lot, I had more anxiety, I would hide in my room and have to be fake person in public, hated myself... I was given SSRIs... I tried them and never went on them again.
Second time, I just wanted therapy - Two close friends had committed suicide and it was exceedingly traumatic, and I couldn't sleep. I found a really great psychologist. There are good ones and bad ones, and different from everyone. It's very freeing talking to someone who is paid to listen. She was tough but helpful - identified the bad thought processes and told me to think new ones. sounds stupid but that worked for me.

Third time, post operative depression. Became suicidal (just so tired and empty that you think it would be easier to drive into a tree than get home and get the groceries out of the car... depression is a terrible thing!). I went on Valdoxan. It's not really an SSRI, it does this:

The active substance in Valdoxan/Thymanax, agomelatine, is a ‘melatonergic agonist’ and a ‘5-HT2C antagonist’. This means that agomelatine stimulates the melatonin receptors MT1 and MT2 (these receptors are normally activated by a natural hormone, melatonin) and it blocks the 5-HT2C receptors (these receptors are normally activated by a chemical messenger, serotonin).

I took it for three months, then had enough life back into to me to get more sun, eat better, walk more, start yoga. All these things help. I stopped taking it after six months. I was fine for a year or so.

FOURTH TIME (And final, I am hopeful) I gave myself psychological insomnia where I had trained my brain to believe sleep was dangerous. I also believe now, that I was having problems with cortisol, high estrogen etc (hindsight is a wonderful thing) trying to go very low carb. Ha. I tried everything, I had temazepam, I had propranolol, Valdoxan didn't work, I tried yoga... I was doping myself every night.

AND THEN I FOUND HYPNOSIS. It worked immediately! I still have a dodgy night every few weeks but I'm onto the whole thyroid, messed metabolism stuff and I'm going great. So you have many options and don't be worried about it. You will be ok. :)

Thanks for sharing- it is good to hear that other people make it out alright.

I can relate to the fear of sleep. Started happening after my first panic attacks.

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

First step would be to find a therapist to talk to. It should help you a lot. Everything that you want in life - go after it. You're not a loser.

Thank you- I will consider seeing a therapist.

Constatine

May I ask how subtle your emotions are? Are you more numb or can you feel very complex emotions? How immersed do you feel in situations?
androsterone is a strong GABA agonist
Yes but I've heard of it causing depression in people and I've felt negative emotional effects from taking it. I think it's too anti-adrenalin or something. This could just be me though.

Last edited:
OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

How often are you in bright sunlight? And effective treatment when nothing else is working is to spend 8 hours + outside in the sun preferably with your shirt off. This is a long termine procedure but will only take a few days before you see dramatic results. Take niacinamide to not get sun burned. Also where do you live because sun light therapy is more effective the closet you are to the equator. This has gotten me out of the worst of times. When individual tweaks are not working it is best to dramatically alter your life style (while remaining relatively structured). Also I saw it mentioned that intelligence is often the source of depression (I assume this has to do with the life is meaningless argument, no God, ect). This is true only when one has both great intelligence and pride. Pride is a most dangerous foe. The life is meaningless perspective (or other such depressing perspectives) typically appeal to intellectuals because it seems logical of course. Intellectuals have enough introspection to detach logical processes from emotional processes hence why so many intellectuals develope negative world views. Does this eliminate bias however? No. In order to seek an unbiased, accurate, and maybe even positive world view one must deconstruct our most basic logical assumptions and learn how truly foolish we all are. One must abandon pride, empty his/her cup, and develop a new kind of awareness that does not draw on logical fallacies and grand assumptions. After one has done this they will see the world with a new type of novelty, much like a child looking at the world for the first time.
What is your religious beliefs or lack of beliefs if I may ask? Religion is heavily involved in a person's emotional security and thus it is very important that you have beliefs that serve your best interest while not being born of logical fallacies or imagination.

I have started using incandescent light exposure today (100w). Not as good as sunlight but I live in Canada and the weather is bad right now.

I have heard higher intelligence tends towards less satisfaction with life. Probaly because of a more nihilistic and coldly objective world view. I'm an atheist. I have read lots of existential philosophy and psychology which maybe fills the hole somewhat.

I take a Freudian perspective on religion in the sense that religious experience stems from psychological complexes and certain emotional needs. Not to say that religion is false or should be discarded but I think it can be understood as a psychological pattern of needs rather than objective reality:

"Biologically speaking, religiousness is to be traced back to the small child’s long-drawn out helplessness and need of help; and when at a later date he perceives how truly forlorn and weak he is when confronted with the great forces of life, he feels his condition as he did in childhood, and attempts to deny his own despondency by a regressive revival of the forces which protected his infancy." -Sigmund Freud

"Psychoanalysis has made us familiar with the intimate connection between the father-complex and belief in God; it has shown us that a personal God is, psychologically, nothing other than an exalted father, and it brings us evidence every day of how young people lose their religious beliefs as soon as their father's authority breaks down. Thus we recognize that the roots of the need for religion are in the parental complex." -Sigmund Freud

"Freud explored the origins of this projection of an ideal father figure in The Future of an Illusion. Religion represents the perpetuation of a piece of infantile behaviour in adult life. Religion is simply an immature response to the awareness of helplessness, by going back to one's childhood experiences of paternal care: `My father will protect me; he is in control.' Belief in a personal God is thus little more than an infantile delusion. Religion is wishful thinking."

If phenibut is helping you but not lasting it may be telling us you have methylation issues,a topic that has more research to come but for now we know phenibut and nicotine act as HDAC inhibitors,not quite demethylating,demethylating is more potent and can remove marks from childhood or any trauma.

I have been thinking for a while that hypermethylation in some areas is causing people to not respond to much of what Peat recommends,I think thyroid will be shown to be a spring of sort in relation to methylation,can open and close it with rt3 for example so it's not ideal to get marks off dna if when stressed they pour back on.

Peat sees Co2 as a demethylating factor, he also mentioned the Caine family,procaine etc He recommend procaine for extreme situations,I think he mentioned for burns but also for deep psychological problems.
I think once these marks of excessive methylation are off the dna and you have a new "Peaty" lifestyle they won't go back on unless you are negligent in habit moving forward.

Do you have a peat cite for that? Thanks

DaveFoster

What are the best ways of doing this?

Alcohol and benzodiazepines, in small doses, crush my anxiety and, sometimes, depression, but obviously I want to find healthier, equally effective ways of doing this. I believe both of the above are technically GABA agonists.
Eating up to 15 grams of salt per day is a good way to healthfully raise GABA; 6-10 grams is a good number.

L-theanine (or green tea) is a decent way to raise GABA; old people have this figured out.

Taurine raises GABA and benefits the liver; niacinamide raises GABA and injures the liver in large dosages. Glycine can raise GABA; hefty consumption of gelatin has many benefits. Magnesium as well.

DaveFoster

Last time I took pregnenolone (Haiduts Stress-non) it almost gave me a panic attack- not sure why. Methylene blue caused the same symptoms the day before I took the pregnenolone. I'm not sure if it was situational but I probaly won't take either again. My best guess is that the cortisol decreasing actions of both were triggering low blood sugar?

As far as outlets/purpose/stimulating activity- I travelled to Mt. Everest base camp last year and I try to get out and ride my motorbike. They just feel like distractions though because the depression always comes back... sometimes with a vengence
Low blood-sugar sounds about right. MB is a tricky drug; I use 50 mcg per dose or so.

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

May I ask how subtle your emotions are? Are you more numb or can you feel very complex emotions? How immersed do you feel in situations?

It's hard to say really

Regina

I have had many bad trips on mushrooms that have terrified me and maybe caused some PTSD though the aftermath has some antidepressant effects for a few days for sure. LSD has been mostly positive in small doses/microdoses but doesn't really seem to be a long term solution and the idea of it still kind of scares me because of my terrifying experiences with mushrooms. I don't know whether it's psychologically healthy for me so I tread carefully now.

Caffeine is interesting. I have had my depression completely lifted in the past from coffee but it is hard to replicate. Coffee is hit or miss for me- sometimes I feel it makes my insomnia and anxiety worse but sometimes in the past it has totally cured my depression and anxiety. The antidepressant effects may depend on tolerance or something... I have taken breaks from coffee and still have insomnia and anxiety so maybe it is not as causative as I think.

Phenibut cures my depression and anxiety but is addictive and tolerance builds fast.

I think coffee may be the way to go I just have to experiment more with offsetting the adrenergic effects through theanine or niacinamide maybe. Nicotine (electronic cigarettes) + caffeine is an even stronger antidepressant but I don't know whether chronic nicotine consumption increases cortisol and adrenaline.

Anyways thanks for the thoughts. I will experiment some more with coffee I think.
Same for me wrt many of these things: mushrooms, LSD, coffee. Currently, androgen and pregnenolone are quite effective for me.
As usual, I am slow to get through threads and I am sure there is more down-thread that will get/has been touched on.
In any case, I really enjoy your posts; you're super smart. I agree with Constantine re spending time bored --the special kind of meditation. It's not social isolation. For me, it is a kind of unforced disambiguation of self time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals