Severe depression : I beg you to help me 🙏

French.cat

Forum Supporter
HI everybody.

I'm a French girl (31 Y.O) so pardon my english. To begin with, I would say that I felt desperate, severely depressed, anxious and hopeless for the most part of my life.
I wasn't able to function well as a kid because I didn't focus at all on my lessons. I lived with a hateful mother and an absent father, which are a logical explanation to my detrimental mental health. I had anorexia at 13 for two years, and bulimia nervosa from age 20 to 28. Later on, in 2015, I've been diagnosed with ADHD and Anxiety. Most of the time, I don't sleep more than 3/4 Hours, and sometimes not at all (except when I eat a lot of carbohydrates, what I've learn thanks to my research on metabolism... I found Ray Peat interview on YouTube and started being passionate with his work). I've severe insomnia since childhood.

Guys, I'm crying in my computer cause... I just want to have a LIFE.

To smile, to digest well, to sleep, to be willing to do something with me instead of suicidal thoughts... and crying all day.
I don't remember anything, I can't focus even while in the cinema, or reading a book. It's like brain fog all the time and anxiety for anything. I also have severe cervical pains due to (my guess) anxiety and lake of physical activity. I tried to work on it though. For the past month, and after having read HEAL YOUR METABOLISM from Kate Deering, I have tried "Ray Peat diet" that Is to say, for me, starch, fruits, meat and liver, orange juice and milk, with some grains on it (from the best source, even if it's not "great" because to all the antinutrients, I know). Honestly, my mood felt really much better. I had less anxiety and neck pain, and felt asleep one hour after my large dinner. The thing is.... I think I have food intolerances, because I had massive crying crisis later on. Or maybe that's just too much carbs for me, and I can't manage to balance my blood sugar properly. I may have pre-diabetes, at least I have all the symptoms. After eating a meal, I generally have blurred vision and fatigue, lake of focus (more than when fasting) and my neck pain worsen. Gluten, dairy or starch intolerances are some ideas....

But I don't know. I'm lost with food.

Also, something that stroke me while adding more carb to my diet, is that I was waking up EXHAUSTED at the morning, with even more neck pain. But that tend to go away when I eat fruits and have milk with it. Well, stress and anxiety are massive reasons for me, and I think bananas and milk calm down my mental breakdown thanks to tryptophan, among other reasons.

⚠️ KETO was the only thing that ever cured my depression for a month, but as soon as I got fat-adapted I become obsessed with not getting out of ketosis and finally been kicked out of ketosis. I had a serving of potatoes in a restaurant and totally forgot there were actually carbs 🙄 now I can't get back on track. I tried 5 times in 5 years and I'm exhausted...

Today is my second day of rest cause my 6 month contract is over. I plan to start my own entreprise (I've build up a programme to get rid of bulimia), but, honestly, mu curent "state" of lethargy and weeps makes my freaking out.

Guys, ANY dietary advice or loving support would be so nice 🙏

If someone cured his/her depression, just PLEASE, tell me where to start. I'm 31 years and I want to live, it's time to live !!!

Thanks ❤️

The Frenchcat

youngsinatra

I’ve been suffering from severe depression for a long time, but it’s just one part of all my other health problems.

How is your thyroid function at the moment? Do you have recent blood work regarding TSH, fT4, fT3? How’s your underarm body temperature. How’s your resting heart rate.

Hugh Johnson

HI everybody.

I'm a French girl (31 Y.O) so pardon my english. To begin with, I would say that I felt desperate, severely depressed, anxious and hopeless for the most part of my life.
I wasn't able to function well as a kid because I didn't focus at all on my lessons. I lived with a hateful mother and an absent father, which are a logical explanation to my detrimental mental health. I had anorexia at 13 for two years, and bulimia nervosa from age 20 to 28. Later on, in 2015, I've been diagnosed with ADHD and Anxiety. Most of the time, I don't sleep more than 3/4 Hours, and sometimes not at all (except when I eat a lot of carbohydrates, what I've learn thanks to my research on metabolism... I found Ray Peat interview on YouTube and started being passionate with his work). I've severe insomnia since childhood.

To smile, to digest well, to sleep, to be willing to do something with me instead of suicidal thoughts... and crying all day.
I don't remember anything, I can't focus even while in the cinema, or reading a book. It's like brain fog all the time and anxiety for anything. I also have severe cervical pains due to (my guess) anxiety and lake of physical activity. I tried to work on it though. For the past month, and after having read HEAL YOUR METABOLISM from Kate Deering, I have tried "Ray Peat diet" that Is to say, for me, starch, fruits, meat and liver, orange juice and milk, with some grains on it (from the best source, even if it's not "great" because to all the antinutrients, I know). Honestly, my mood felt really much better. I had less anxiety and neck pain, and felt asleep one hour after my large dinner. The thing is.... I think I have food intolerances, because I had massive crying crisis later on. Or maybe that's just too much carbs for me, and I can't manage to balance my blood sugar properly. I may have pre-diabetes, at least I have all the symptoms. After eating a meal, I generally have blurred vision and fatigue, lake of focus (more than when fasting) and my neck pain worsen. Gluten, dairy or starch intolerances are some ideas....

Also, something that stroke me while adding more carb to my diet, is that I was waking up EXHAUSTED at the morning, with even more neck pain. But that tend to go away when I eat fruits and have milk with it. Well, stress and anxiety are massive reasons for me, and I think bananas and milk calm down my mental breakdown thanks to tryptophan, among other reasons.

⚠️ KETO was the only thing that ever cured my depression for a month, but as soon as I got fat-adapted I become obsessed with not getting out of ketosis and finally been kicked out of ketosis. I had a serving of potatoes in a restaurant and totally forgot there were actually carbs 🙄 now I can't get back on track. I tried 5 times in 5 years and I'm exhausted...

Today is my second day of rest cause my 6 month contract is over. I plan to start my own entreprise (I've build up a programme to get rid of bulimia), but, honestly, mu curent "state" of lethargy and weeps makes my freaking out.

If someone cured his/her depression, just PLEASE, tell me where to start. I'm 31 years and I want to live, it's time to live !!!

Thanks ❤️

The Frenchcat
Eat sugar to keep stress down. Take some aspirin for mood improvement.

This is causing you to face unresolved feelings. Look up ho'oponopono an Sedona Method. Both are on YouTube. Do them.

You are also probably dissociated. I suggest an embodiment meditation, such as one by Brian Begin.

Stilgar

I used to have very bad depression and haven’t had an episode for 3 years now. I’m 34 and female.

Things that helped me -

Ayahuasca and psychedelics for dealing with the mental blocks. Ayahuasca more or less cured my 10+ years of depression in 5 sessions.

Bloodwork, which revealed very low cholesterol and a very low TSH (which can be caused by adrenaline).

Progesterone in large amounts and DHEA in small amounts (5mg), small amounts of T3 and aspirin.

Antibiotics for gut issues.

nigma

Initially... learn about the basic adaptive responses of the body and try to meet the demand for them to calm your nervous system down. This should stablize things so your body and mind isn't so stressed out.

I.e.
salt/electrolytes (aldosterone)
sugar/carbs (cortisol)
protein (cortisol)
sleep
hydration
having a meaningful role in society and get paid for it to sustain yourself
find and enjoy fun things
find meaningful things (your interests are meaningful)

B vitamins and magnesium/potassium in particular have been helpful for people with depressive feelings/thoughts.

understand that in the morning you will be craving sugar, salt and water. the sooner you can supply these the quicker the stress hormones can calm down and in turn your nervous system.

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
I’ve been suffering from severe depression for a long time, but it’s just one part of all my other health problems.

How is your thyroid function at the moment? Do you have recent blood work regarding TSH, fT4, fT3? How’s your underarm body temperature. How’s your resting heart rate.
Thank you sooooo much for the answer 🙏 How do you manage your depression by the way ?

My TSH have been tested a year ago , I have 2.18 mUI/L, but don't know what it means, also it seems to be in a safe range. Body temperature is 36.6 or 36.5 (depending on insomnia) in the morning. But I don't put my thermometer under the armpit, but in the front (digital). Right now I'm severely anxious with migraines and my heart rate is 82 BPM... Have you any idea ?

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
Eat sugar to keep stress down. Take some aspirin for mood improvement.

This is causing you to face unresolved feelings. Look up ho'oponopono an Sedona Method. Both are on YouTube. Do them.

You are also probably dissociated. I suggest an embodiment meditation, such as one by Brian Begin.
Thanks for answering. I tried Ho'oponopono but I'm not really in the mood for gratitude right now.. Dissociation yep, I forgot to mention that but I'm sure I have it too. That's an other explanation for ADHD symptoms.

youngsinatra

Thank you sooooo much for the answer 🙏 How do you manage your depression by the way ?

My TSH have been tested a year ago , I have 2.18 mUI/L, but don't know what it means, also it seems to be in a safe range. Body temperature is 36.6 or 36.5 (depending on insomnia) in the morning. But I don't put my thermometer under the armpit, but in the front (digital). Right now I'm severely anxious with migraines and my heart rate is 82 BPM... Have you any idea ?
I treat my depression with a strict diet, that works for me personally. Being aware of food sensitivities and gut irritants are big for me, because if I eat things that I am sensitive to, it worsens the depression, the brain fog and the chronic fatigue very significantly. But just adhering to the diet is not enough to improve it significantly.

Taking thyroid, riboflavin (B2), methylfolate (B9) and small amounts of oral magnesium chloride with each meal work pretty good for me so far. :)

I think improving thyroid function, energy production and methylation is key for depression.

Runenight201

In my very armchair doctor opinion chronic depression is the inability for the cell to produce sufficient energy, leading to fatigue, apathy, weakness, inflammation, etc…

Meat consumption is crucial, on top of a starch that you can digest. Either potatoes, brown rice, barley, etc… never eat starch without meat.

Do that 3-4 meals a day, supplement whatever fruits/coffee/milk you want on top of that, but the bulk of your diet needs to be meat and starch. This will provide a plethora of digestible energy, which is the most important to actually let your cells get nutrients in them and for ATP function to become normalized. Living off of fruit and milk is NOT ideal.

Don’t lose hope, you a relatively young and the body is very resilient should you do the correct things. Begin developing self-awareness, as you feel better you’ll begin to notice that certain foods, activities, habits, will make you feel better, while others will degenerate you.

👏🏽

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
HI everybody.

Thanks ❤️

The Frenchcat
iHerb ships pregenenolone to France (MRM's is micronized and works well). (Though you may not be in France come to think of it..) This has been a game-changer for a couple of my female clients with mood issues (some were pretty severe). I would start there. It does sound like you have a gut issue, so that would definitely be the first area I would look into addressing ASAP.

Jennifer

HI everybody.

KETO was the only thing that ever cured my depression for a month, but as soon as I got fat-adapted I become obsessed with not getting out of ketosis and finally been kicked out of ketosis. I had a serving of potatoes in a restaurant and totally forgot there were actually carbs now I can't get back on track. I tried 5 times in 5 years and I'm exhausted...

Guys, ANY dietary advice or loving support would be so nice

Thanks

The Frenchcat

I’m sorry for your suffering. I have a similar history and have overcome it so please know that it will get better, it just takes some tweaking. You feeling exhausted in the morning from reintroducing carbs is likely due to them lowering stress hormones that were elevated—you have a major sleep debt. I used to cry after meals too and for me, it was a reaction of hypoglycemia. With your history, your digestion and blood sugar (likely thyroid and adrenal related) may be a bit finicky right now. I don’t like to recommend restriction to someone with a history like yours, but I know what it’s like to be suicidally depressed and I think the most important thing at this point is to get you consuming foods that are easy to digest (for you) and keep your blood sugar stable. My mood would improve within minutes of consuming certain foods, particularly fruit juice, and stay up so I hope you can find comfort in knowing that how you feel in this moment isn’t going to last forever. You will feel happy again, and I will even bet euphoric. This should also help with you processing your past. It doesn’t change what happened and the unfairness of it all but in my experience, it’s far easier to work through when the body’s needs are met—you’re too filled with joy to let your past steal any more of your present and future.

Have you tried having meals with plenty of simple carbs from milk, ripe fruit/juice, honey and/or white sugar (if you have sensitive intestines), some saturated fat and a calming protein such as gelatinous broth (glycine) or cheese (casein)? Have you tried tweaking your macro ratio, particularly your carb to protein ratio in favor of carbs?

Edit—I forgot to add salt. Salt is really good for lowering adrenaline and calming anxiety, IME.

Last edited:

Avery

HI everybody.

Thanks ❤️

The Frenchcat
I can tell you've been going through a lot lately, and my best wishes are with you. Perhaps you'll find a little solace in this quote?

“But human power is considerably limited and infinitely surpassed by the power of external causes, and therefore we do not have an absolute power of adapting things which are outside us for our use. But we shall bear with equanimity those things which happen to us contrary to that which a regard for our advantage postulates, if we are conscious that we have done that which we ought, and that we could not have extended the power we have to such an extent as to avoid those things, and moreover, that we are part of nature as a whole, whose order we follow. If we understand this clearly and distinctly, that part of us which is defined by our understanding, that is, the best part of us, will be wholly contented, and will endeavour to persist in that contentment. For in so far as we understand, we can desire nothing save that which is necessary, nor can we absolutely be contented with anything save what is true: and therefore in so far as we understand this rightly, the endeavour of the best part of us agrees with the order of the whole of nature.” ― Baruch Spinoza​

Where things grow, there is hope. All that heals restores hope. So get your mind on to pretty thinking already :)
Eating better, mastering your environment (to the extend that it is possible), etc.

Sorry for not giving you anything concrete to work with, but I find the problem of self-betterment no less psychological than physiological, not that they're mutually exclusive. As above, so below.

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 15.43.03.png
+1

What's your vitamin D at @French.cat ?
That was less than a year ago.

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
In my very armchair doctor opinion chronic depression is the inability for the cell to produce sufficient energy, leading to fatigue, apathy, weakness, inflammation, etc…

Meat consumption is crucial, on top of a starch that you can digest. Either potatoes, brown rice, barley, etc… never eat starch without meat.

Do that 3-4 meals a day, supplement whatever fruits/coffee/milk you want on top of that, but the bulk of your diet needs to be meat and starch. This will provide a plethora of digestible energy, which is the most important to actually let your cells get nutrients in them and for ATP function to become normalized. Living off of fruit and milk is NOT ideal.

Don’t lose hope, you a relatively young and the body is very resilient should you do the correct things. Begin developing self-awareness, as you feel better you’ll begin to notice that certain foods, activities, habits, will make you feel better, while others will degenerate you.

👏🏽
Well I can try protein + starch and fruits but in separate meals, so that I could experiment which is best for my digestion. Egg with sourdough bread seems to work pretty well. Cheese and bananas too. I personally hate the texture of ricotta cheese or Greek yogurt and forcing myself to eat them during keto was a nauseating experience 🤢

Maybe 4 meals would be better to balance my blood sugar, yep yep yep. I've started taking magnesium supplement during lunch time. I hope it will help with sleep and hard articulations such as cervicals (they are so painful !!).

I know I am young but I feel like I've almost lost the major part of my life. I used to found some relief in music or sexuality but now I don't feel like doing anything... I guess I just want to feel good. It's frustrating to go on vacation by my own (I have very few friends, partially because of my depression. When you always say no to go out and you don't attach to people, it's hard no to be lonely, at last. I understand that very well, and in a sens I'm glad for that, because even if I feel unhappy most of the time, the capability of loneliness is also a growth factor IMO.

Thanks for your encouragement , you're really sweet 🙏

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
I’m sorry for your suffering. I have a similar history and have overcome it so please know that it will get better, it just takes some tweaking. You feeling exhausted in the morning from reintroducing carbs is likely due to them lowering stress hormones that were elevated—you have a major sleep debt. I used to cry after meals too and for me, it was a reaction of hypoglycemia. With your history, your digestion and blood sugar (likely thyroid and adrenal related) may be a bit finicky right now. I don’t like to recommend restriction to someone with a history like yours, but I know what it’s like to be suicidally depressed and I think the most important thing at this point is to get you consuming foods that are easy to digest (for you) and keep your blood sugar stable. My mood would improve within minutes of consuming certain foods, particularly fruit juice, and stay up so I hope you can find comfort in knowing that how you feel in this moment isn’t going to last forever. You will feel happy again, and I will even bet euphoric. This should also help with you processing your past. It doesn’t change what happened and the unfairness of it all but in my experience, it’s far easier to work through when the body’s needs are met—you’re too filled with joy to let your past steal any more of your present and future.

Have you tried having meals with plenty of simple carbs from milk, ripe fruit/juice, honey and/or white sugar (if you have sensitive intestines), some saturated fat and a calming protein such as gelatinous broth (glycine) or cheese (casein)? Have you tried tweaking your macro ratio, particularly your carb to protein ratio in favor of carbs?

Edit—I forgot to add salt. Salt is really good for lowering adrenaline and calming anxiety, IME.
Hi Jennifer ! I'm so grateful for your answer !! I've read a lot of post of you in different threads and I'm a big fan. 😆
I'm not surprised your story is close to mine, that's what I already understood. I think you're totally right about the sleep debt. My hormones are f*cked up because of the sleep issues, and maybe taking pregnelonone as @chrstn4o mentioned it could help. Thank you @chrstn4o, you seem to be a professional advisor so I take your suggestion with a lot of interest 👍

Well, Jennifer, maybe simple sugar is best for my digestion during the day because too much starches make me "foggy". I don't digest them well but, In other hand, having only simple sugar from fruits AT NIGHT give me insomnia, so I choose starch anyway, loaded with good amount of protein to calm down my glycaemia, like 3 eggs or cheese. Also, avoiding meat at night seem to improve A LOT my anxiety, so I consume it only for lunch, like most of my fruits.

I have to admit that I only did this "peatarian style" for only two weeks. It was last month. I was developing bad acnea (style have...) and gaining wait so I quit. I always have a good reason to let things down...

My usual dietary habits are : no breakfast, light lunch (so coldness and brain fog), several cups of coffee and infusions, and junk food at night (like 1000 calories in one serving, to catch up the calories I did not consume during the day). I used to work in my brother's restaurant but I stopped yesterday. It's such a relief !! Because I stoped at 11pm, and I think it's waaaaaay too late to eat.

I'm not surprised of the fact that you used to cry after meals due to hypoglycemia. That's also my case. That reminds me of last month, when I first experimented orange juice and milk for the first time, in replacement of my liter and half of water and infusions 😒
I felt soooo good having orange juice, I felt warm and calm, even if I got a blurred vision again.

Unfortunately, I decided to stop OJ because I was afraid of blood sugar spikes and its effect on my anxiety (blurred vision terrifies me, I'm afraid of being diabetic, do you know where that could come from ? I was thinking adenosine either way).

Sorry for my english, again, I have to apologize 😇

youngsinatra

One word on diet. Eat foods that work for YOU. Eat something and see how you feel 1h after it. Observe your digestion, your energy, your psychological state, your cognitive abilities.

The typical Ray Peat diet of orange juice, milk, liver and eggs does not work for everyone.

Just like @Runenight201 I personally thrive on starches, meat, coconut fat, cooked vegetables (esp. green beans) and some fruits for dessert.

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
One word on diet. Eat foods that work for YOU. Eat something and see how you feel 1h after it. Observe your digestion, your energy, your psychological state, your cognitive abilities.

The typical Ray Peat diet of orange juice, milk, liver and eggs does not work for everyone.

Just like @Runenight201 I personally thrive on starches, meat, coconut fat, cooked vegetables (esp. green beans) and some fruits for dessert.
Thank you for the dietary advice. It's really hard to see what works for me but I'll keep a little "carnet" in my bag to note my reactions to food. That's what I aimed to do in the first place but it seemed fastidious... Now that I tried keto for the last days noting doesn't seem the worse on earth ^^
I've never been a big fan of meet (except chicken and pork) but always forced myself to eat them to bring variety to my "keto plan". Ugh... That's over.

DrJ

Really sorry to hear about your struggles but it will be okay. I would pay attention to tryptophan/ serotonin for fighting depression. gelatin (and perhaps a lot of gelatin) can be a big help here for both mood and digestive issues. But take care that you seem to be digesting it well because it can cause problems for some people. Food diary is a big help no matter what problem you are trying to solve!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer ! I'm so grateful for your answer !! I've read a lot of post of you in different threads and I'm a big fan. 😆
I'm not surprised your story is close to mine, that's what I already understood. I think you're totally right about the sleep debt. My hormones are f*cked up because of the sleep issues, and maybe taking pregnelonone as @chrstn4o mentioned it could help. Thank you @chrstn4o, you seem to be a professional advisor so I take your suggestion with a lot of interest 👍

Well, Jennifer, maybe simple sugar is best for my digestion during the day because too much starches make me "foggy". I don't digest them well but, In other hand, having only simple sugar from fruits AT NIGHT give me insomnia, so I choose starch anyway, loaded with good amount of protein to calm down my glycaemia, like 3 eggs or cheese. Also, avoiding meat at night seem to improve A LOT my anxiety, so I consume it only for lunch, like most of my fruits.

I have to admit that I only did this "peatarian style" for only two weeks. It was last month. I was developing bad acnea (style have...) and gaining wait so I quit. I always have a good reason to let things down...

My usual dietary habits are : no breakfast, light lunch (so coldness and brain fog), several cups of coffee and infusions, and junk food at night (like 1000 calories in one serving, to catch up the calories I did not consume during the day). I used to work in my brother's restaurant but I stopped yesterday. It's such a relief !! Because I stoped at 11pm, and I think it's waaaaaay too late to eat.

I'm not surprised of the fact that you used to cry after meals due to hypoglycemia. That's also my case. That reminds me of last month, when I first experimented orange juice and milk for the first time, in replacement of my liter and half of water and infusions 😒
I felt soooo good having orange juice, I felt warm and calm, even if I got a blurred vision again.

Unfortunately, I decided to stop OJ because I was afraid of blood sugar spikes and its effect on my anxiety (blurred vision terrifies me, I'm afraid of being diabetic, do you know where that could come from ? I was thinking adenosine either way).

Sorry for my english, again, I have to apologize 😇

Aww…thank you. ❤️ No worries about your English. It’s a heck of a lot better than my French. :)

I can understand not wanting to continue with a WOE that is giving you acne. Something was clearly not sitting right with your body. If having starch at night doesn’t give you brain fog the next day, I personally wouldn’t change it, but if it does affect you, maybe try some ice cream or a warm cup of milk with sugar/honey or if you can stand it, a hot cocoa with marshmallows, before bed? Also, do you experience the fog with fresh fruit or other fruit juices besides OJ? OJ can be irritating to the intestines for some people unless it’s truly ripe, i.e., sweet like candy with no acidity, and coming from Keto, a large influx of carbs all at once may be a lot for your body to process right now so hopefully splitting your meals up like Rune suggested will help. For me, the fog comes from gut irritation raising my serotonin, but I recall Ray suggesting B1 for brain fog so perhaps that is something you can try if you don’t find that replacing the OJ with a more intestine friendly simple sugar resolves it? I’m glad you’re feeling relief from not working at your brother’s restaurant and hope getting to eat earlier helps. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals