Drinking alcohol, depression not caring.

You are still writing like you think this is fascinatingly cool, in a macabre sort of way. It's not.

Alcohol is poisonous. Your liver isn't able to deal with it. You are killing yourself. Alcohol uses up all your thiamine. Thiamine deficiency causes the blood brain barrier to become leaky/compromised. Then the alcohol in your blood gets into your brain and causes damage. Just stop playing around with alcohol. If you can't do that by yourself, turn yourself in to adult protective services because you are a danger to yourself.

Do not wait until you are seeing ghouls coming out of the air conditioning vents to get you. My aunt went through that. Then she died.

Nice too see a strong anti-alcohol message. Too often I read people communicating that it is not that bad in moderation. However, the people who struggle with it cannot moderate their intake. So the moderation message is inappropriate for the only group who's lives are being destroyed by alcohol.

If I drink 1 beer, I drink 20 beers. The endotoxin subdues me for three days after. Not drinking beer at all has always been better for me than attempting to drink beer in moderation. Thankfully I don't have a problem moderating my intake with non-beer forms of alcohol, and I also don't feel poisoned from these like I feel from drinking beer. But for those who cannot moderate their intake from any kind of alcohol I would seriously recommend banishing it from their lives.

I would also recommend replacing alcohol with 10 grams of glycine per day, 5mg of lithium, high dose B1, B2, & buffered vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), and some magnesium. Consider in addition boron (potentially provides an even stronger positive effect on mood than lithium), taurine, creatine, B6, & PQQ as well as low dose aspirin and methylene blue.

Edit: To help the kidneys deal with all these supplements and to keep a healthy electrolyte balance, I recommend drinking plenty of potassium rich fluids. I drink almost no plain water but instead 2 litres of low fat milk, 1litre of coconut water, and 1litre of pulp free fruit juice every day. You will notice your beer cravings greatly reduced when your intake of these types of fluids is high. Don't forget to raise your sodium intake as you increase your fluid consumption.

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

Get some niacinamide, some thiamine, some magnesium, some orange juice (organic, no pulp). Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) and Thiamine HCl (Vitamin B1) and Magnesium Glycinate

Put 12 ounces of the orange juice in a glass. Add a large pinch of niacinamide, a double large pinch of magnesium, and a large pinch of thiamine in the orange juice. Stir. Drink it. Repeat 3-4 times a day.

Get a chicken brooder light with the housing. Clip it to something. Sit under the light with it shining on the back of your neck and back of your head for at least an hour a day. Not too close, needs to be comfortably warm.

Throw out all the alcohol. Get it out of the house. Do not buy more. Have an extra OJ with the supplements if you get the urge to drink. You will be amazed what this will do for you! You have all the power to decide to make this change. You are reaching out, that shows your are interested in taking back your power.

I am not a doctor. These are my opinions and what I would do for myself if I was experiencing what you are experiencing. For me, if this doesn't work, I would increase the amount of the three supplements listed above to perhaps around 1/16th of a teaspoon for the niacinamide and the thiamine and 1/4 teaspoon for the magnesium, maybe more. I'd also add some aspirin dissolved in boiling water (don't consume the stuff at the bottom), for myself. My opinion.
:darts:

mostlylurking

Nice too see a strong anti-alcohol message. Too often I read people communicating that it is not that bad in moderation. However, the people who struggle with it cannot moderate their intake. So the moderation message is inappropriate for the only group who's lives are being destroyed by alcohol.

If I drink 1 beer, I drink 20 beers. The endotoxin subdues me for three days after. Not drinking beer at all has always been better for me than attempting to drink beer in moderation. Thankfully I don't have a problem moderating my intake with non-beer forms of alcohol, and I also don't feel poisoned from these like I feel from drinking beer. But for those who cannot moderate their intake from any kind of alcohol I would seriously recommend banishing it from their lives.

I would also recommend replacing alcohol with 10 grams of glycine per day, 5mg of lithium, high dose B1, B2, & buffered vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), and some magnesium. Consider in addition boron (potentially provides an even stronger positive effect on mood than lithium), taurine, creatine, B6, & PQQ as well as low dose aspirin and methylene blue.

Edit: To help the kidneys deal with all these supplements and to keep a healthy electrolyte balance, I recommend drinking plenty of potassium rich fluids. I drink almost no plain water but instead 2 litres of low fat milk, 1litre of coconut water, and 1litre of pulp free fruit juice every day. You will notice your beer cravings greatly reduced when your intake of these types of fluids is high. Don't forget to raise your sodium intake as you increase your fluid consumption.
Thanks for the support. I'm a little different from you in what I'd recommend regarding the supplements. You left out B3 (niacinamide) which to me is the most important one for knocking out the craving for alcohol. Alcoholics Anonymous originally encouraged members to take B3; it was a big part of their original success. I think they had to back off of their B3 position because of the practicing medicine without a license thing. Too bad.

I think they have managed to ruin vitamin C (ascorbic acid) by the way they make it now; seems it is all contaminated with lead. If you drink lots of pulp free orange juice, I think you've got the C covered. I'm a big fan of aspirin, I take about 3 grams a day; I've moved on from low dose due to inflammation levels.

Also, about that methylene blue: if you have a problem with serotonin, you don't want to take methylene blue because it is an MAO inhibitor. It will make the serotonin problem worse. Methylene Blue and the Risk of Serotonin Toxicity - Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation Methylene blue has never improved my symptoms, it has made me feel horrible every time I've tried it.

Beer is highly estrogenic. The hops are estrogenic, all that foamy fermentation top is estrogenic too. I think this is why it makes people feel like crap. Red wine is highly estrogenic too. Ray Peat has said it you are going to drink, choose a clear liquor and have it with lots of fruit juice for the fructose, to protect your liver. I think he was referring to having a drink at an occasional social gathering, not for drinking every night.

Luann

Good advice, all, and I wanna address one more factor

go where there are people

background: I do not like being around strangers, especially if more than a "have a nice day" is necessary.

But I think part of being healthy emotionally is at least being in the vicinity of strangers once in a while, it is an tangible reminder of the size and possibility of this world. get out there if you can, grocery store or library etc, interact once or twice, and call it a day! no need to make friends or anything :)

Thanks for the support. I'm a little different from you in what I'd recommend regarding the supplements. You left out B3 (niacinamide) which to me is the most important one for knocking out the craving for alcohol. Alcoholics Anonymous originally encouraged members to take B3; it was a big part of their original success. I think they had to back off of their B3 position because of the practicing medicine without a license thing. Too bad.

I think they have managed to ruin vitamin C (ascorbic acid) by the way they make it now; seems it is all contaminated with lead. If you drink lots of pulp free orange juice, I think you've got the C covered. I'm a big fan of aspirin, I take about 3 grams a day; I've moved on from low dose due to inflammation levels.

Also, about that methylene blue: if you have a problem with serotonin, you don't want to take methylene blue because it is an MAO inhibitor. It will make the serotonin problem worse. Methylene Blue and the Risk of Serotonin Toxicity - Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation Methylene blue has never improved my symptoms, it has made me feel horrible every time I've tried it.

Beer is highly estrogenic. The hops are estrogenic, all that foamy fermentation top is estrogenic too. I think this is why it makes people feel like crap. Red wine is highly estrogenic too. Ray Peat has said it you are going to drink, choose a clear liquor and have it with lots of fruit juice for the fructose, to protect your liver. I think he was referring to having a drink at an occasional social gathering, not for drinking every night.

I have never taken niacinamide, and I do not like to recommend supplements I have no experience with. Interesting to know AA used to recommend B3; do you know if they preferred niacin or niacinamide?

3 grams of aspirin daily is high enough to lead to problems without also supplementing vitamin K. If I use just 500mg per day without mk4, my arms or legs show signs of internal bleeding by the 7th-10th day. Other than vitamin K, high aspirin use may also deplete glycine and bicarbonate.

Sorry to hear your methylene blue didn't work out. It is an unparalelled positive game changer for those with overactive nitric oxide synthase. Also it is a potent anti-estrogen, which should interest heavy beer drinkers. Furthermore it can improve a person's mood. I would suggest you try a different brand. So far I haven't heard of 0.5mg causing serotonin syndrome.

Red wine is unattractive because of the resveratrol content.

mostlylurking

I have never taken niacinamide, and I do not like to recommend supplements I have no experience with. Interesting to know AA used to recommend B3; do you know if they preferred niacin or niacinamide?

3 grams of aspirin daily is high enough to lead to problems without also supplementing vitamin K. If I use just 500mg per day without mk4, my arms or legs show signs of internal bleeding by the 7th-10th day. Other than vitamin K, high aspirin use may also deplete glycine and bicarbonate.

Sorry to hear your methylene blue didn't work out. It is an unparalelled positive game changer for those with overactive nitric oxide synthase. Also it is a potent anti-estrogen, which should interest heavy beer drinkers. Furthermore it can improve a person's mood. I would suggest you try a different brand. So far I haven't heard of 0.5mg causing serotonin syndrome.

Red wine is unattractive because of the resveratrol content.
I think that AA recommended niacin (Abram Hoffer was a contemporary? or at least inspiration). I've taken both niacin and niacinamide. I think Ray Peat's right; the niacin is too stressful and the niacinamide works better or at least just as well. I do well with 1/32 teas (about 100mg) 2-3 times a day. A larger dose makes me a little loopy and less productive. That said, if I'm really hurting I've found that a gram of aspirin plus about 100mg niacinamide works really well, better than the aspirin alone.

I found this: Alcoholics Anonymous, Bill W, and Niacin Therapy

and there's this: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

and this one is interesting: Niacinamide: A Powerful Biomedicine

I take about 8-10mg of MK4 daily. I used to be able to be fine on a single gram of aspirin daily. The increased dose, for the increased lactic acid/nitric oxide issue is just the past few months, since I was laid low by a thiamine deficiency. I have plans to recover and resume the 1 gram aspirin a day. It's important not to let the joint inflammation get away from me; I've got rheumatoid arthritis. I don't take glycine but I do consume quite a bit of gelatin (30-40 grams/day).

The aspirin works very well for nitric oxide issues and it lowers estrogen too. It's great stuff. Ray Peat, PhD on Aspirin – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I've tried several brands of methylene blue. It's just not for me. I'm seriously sensitive to serotonin, it makes me hurt. I suspect the 10 years I spent under a doctor's care who put me on a horse dose of 5-HTP made me susceptible to serotonin sensitivity.

Red wine is some really bad stuff. There's the resveratrol (estrogenic), yes.

Last edited:
OP
T

troubledtimes

moderate their intake from any kind of alc

Can you explain why pulp free compared to with pulp is different for health? As well how does aspirin help out? And what type of aspirin is best to take?

mostlylurking

Can you explain why pulp free compared to with pulp is different for health? As well how does aspirin help out? And what type of aspirin is best to take?
The pulp they put in orange juice is a manufacturing by-product, dissolved with an enzyme foreign to your body that can cause problems. Buy the one with "no pulp", organic, to avoid that additive.

Try to buy aspirin without additives. When that fails, put the aspirin in about 1/4 cup water and zap in the microwave for about a minute and a half. Add some ice cubes. Let the junk settle to the bottom, and drink the sour aspirin water, leaving the sediment in the bottom.

Arnold Grape

Sucks, but I would get on board with the no alcohol for a stretch. One thing I don’t think anyone mentioned are Unisom Sleep tabs, which are the Doxylamine Succinate ones, for “learned helplessness“ or alcohol withdrawal. (Alternately I would buy cypro which is not otc.) Taken at night this should help with some ill feelings associated with the wagon. I would also replete with b vitamins as others have said —establish better gut health which is probably wrecked if you drink a lot. Activated charcoal will likely work well here.

mostlylurking

Read this article on aspirin: Aspirin, brain, and cancer for easier reading, copy/paste the article into a Word document, 2 columns work better than one column. Print it out, mark it up. Here's another link to Ray Peat on aspirin: Ray Peat, PhD on Aspirin – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

It is my understanding that lowering serotonin is very helpful when stopping an addiction. Cyproheptadine might be helpful. I'm a big fan of niacinamide and thiamine plus a good B-complex capsule.

Here's a recent article: Anti-serotonin stack for more energy and well-being » MENELITE
posted here: Anti-serotonin stack for more energy and well-being

Frankdee20

I feel qualified to
Every 3 or 4 days I drink about 10 beer which doesn't sound like alot but it hits me hard. I shake and get severe anxiety and depression. I live on my own and my life is in shambles. My self control is low I know alcohol worsens things but at the same time time I'm so depressed and lacking energy to leave my apartment so I drink. I've got only 1 family member who can help. Seeing how I have social anxiety and going to something like AA would cause me panic attacks. I've only got the internet to rely on. Alcohol is the only legal thing that's easily available.anyone available to pm? In a dark spot in life
I have been there, PM if you wish.

I have abused alcohol for different reasons during different times in my life. I’m 43 and didn’t start drinking until I was 25.

Frankdee20

From what I understand, Thiamine is lost by the excessive urination of alcohol diuretic effect.

When I am happy a couple of drinks make me feel good, even the next day, but when I am unhappy and stressed even one drink will make things worse the next day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals