Severe depression : I beg you to help me 🙏

mostlylurking

Yes I think it was your posts I saw Thiamine Pyrophosphate mentioned in, I ordered some. It's quite low dosed so I'll see how it works but keen to try.
You may find this article of interest:

also, there is some discussion about TPP in the Comments below this article:
Dr. Lonsdale posted here that he does not consider TPP to be as effective as TTFD. He's very pro TTFD. I was unable to tolerate it because of a glutathione deficiency which resolved from my high dosing thiamine hcl. I think it is important to learn as much as possible about the pros and cons of the different types of thiamine supplements.

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
All of these (bulimia nervosa, ADHD, and Anxiety) point to a thiamine deficiency.

These symptoms also point to a thiamine deficiency.

Points to a thiamine deficiency. It's pretty scary when you lose your short term memory and have brain fog. I've been there.

The medical industry likes to promote the idea that Wernicke's encephalopathy is the result of alcohol abuse (which results in thiamine deficiency), but there are other things that cause thiamine deficiency besides that, including inability to absorb nutrients, and thiamine functional blockage from pharmaceutical drugs. My own experience was the result of heavy metal toxicity which used up my thiamine, then Bactrim antibiotic taken for a UTI. Wernicke's encephalopathy is serious and needs to be addressed to avoid long term damage (Korsakoff Syndrome).

Food intolerances can be caused by leaky gut. Leaky gut can be the result of thiamine deficiency; you need thiamine (and magnesium) to maintain gut wall integrity. Thiamine is also needed to maintain the blood/brain/barrier integrity. A thiamine deficiency can allow things into the brain that are best kept out of there (like iron).

Thiamine is needed to use sugar/carbs for energy (oxidative metabolism). A thiamine deficiency can cause high blood sugar. Diabetics are known to be thiamine deficient.

Bananas are known to be a high serotonin food. In many people, with compromised metabolisms, consuming tryptophan increases serotonin. Ideally, tryptophan converts to niacin but if things aren't working right, it converts to serotonin instead.

There is an abundance of misinformation about serotonin on line and in medical papers. I find Ray Peat's articles the most helpful.

People with thiamine deficiency tend to do better (at least in the short run) on a KETO diet because this diet omits carbs/sugars and carbs/sugars deplete thiamine.

I cured my depression (and a LOT of other things) via high dose thiamine.

I've found a lot of benefit from taking magnesium glycinate. I take 3/8teaspoon in the morning and another 3/8th teaspoon before bed. It helps with a lot of things.
Thiamine supplementation improves a person's tolerance for magnesium. And thiamine supplementation requires magnesium.

This sounds like a great way to ruin your health and your life.

The orange juice is good for you. You need it. It has many positive attributes. But it does contain sugar and you need thiamine to metabolize the sugar. The OJ isn't causing the blurred vision, but a thiamine deficiency might be.

I'd suggest continuing the OJ and to also supplement with some thiamine. I use high dose thiamine hcl. Others use TTFD thiamine. There's good arguments for each.

suggested reading:

:thumbsup:
Hello ! Thank you ssoooooo much for your high quality response. Your explanations (I've read the web links by the way, great informations 👍) about the Thiamine deficiency got my attention. I have all the symptoms... What is really strange is : according to the medical labs, my B1 rate fits in a normal range !
Here is a photo of my last lab test. What do you think ? Also, I'm glad thiamine supplementation helped you with depression, I may try this as well... But I dunno, I mean, I don't seem to be concerned !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-09-01 à 10.44.10.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-09-01 à 10.44.10.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 25

mostlylurking

Hello ! Thank you ssoooooo much for your high quality response. Your explanations (I've read the web links by the way, great informations 👍) about the Thiamine deficiency got my attention. I have all the symptoms... What is really strange is : according to the medical labs, my B1 rate fits in a normal range !
Here is a photo of my last lab test. What do you think ? Also, I'm glad thiamine supplementation helped you with depression, I may try this as well... But I dunno, I mean, I don't seem to be concerned !
Accurate testing for thiamine is really hard to get. Here's an article about it:

Although I did try to get lab testing, I gave up because my doctor couldn't find a lab in the U.S. that does the accurate test. So I rely on my symptoms/relief of symptoms. I use thiamine hcl which has a very long track record and is considered to be a safe supplement. Although I'm taking pharmacological sized doses (for 2.5 years), I have never experienced a negative effect. Except for one time when I took 2.5 grams in one day and experienced shooting zapping electrical pains in my thighs when I went to bed at night. This is how I figured out that 2 grams/day is my optimum dose.

I'm following Dr. Costantini's protocol that he used successfully for his thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients. Here's his website. I have heavy metal poisoning (mercury and lead); the high dose thiamine hcl has resolved all my symptoms.

Fall of 2020, I got really sick after taking Bactrim antibiotic, which blocks thiamine function. It nearly finished me off as I already had the heavy metal toxicity. I had all the symptoms of Wernicke's Encephalopathy. I tried taking about 300-350mg thiamine hcl and all my symptoms disappeared within 45 minutes. My temperature increased a full degree (to normal), my head cleared, and all my inflammation went away. Of course it came back so I started researching thiamine and after 4 months, I found Dr. Costantini's website and decided to follow his advice. I've been healthy, symptom free, since February of 2021.

For inspiration, watch Dr. Costantini's patients' before and after videos. They are very short and in Italian, but that really doesn't matter. A few of the interviews have subtitles which are helpful.

webbt

This may help with the insomnia

mostlylurking

Also, I'm glad thiamine supplementation helped you with depression, I may try this as well... But I dunno
Here's some info about thiamine deficiency and depression:

ATP

Hey @French.cat, not sure if you've tried it but progesterone is something you should consider, and as a female you can have large doses for greater therapeutic effect. Peat has written and spoken about progesterone many times if you were wanting to learn more about it.

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
I can tell you've been going through a lot lately, and my best wishes are with you. Perhaps you'll find a little solace in this quote?

Where things grow, there is hope. All that heals restores hope. So get your mind on to pretty thinking already :)
Eating better, mastering your environment (to the extend that it is possible), etc.

Sorry for not giving you anything concrete to work with, but I find the problem of self-betterment no less psychological than physiological, not that they're mutually exclusive. As above, so below.
You’re mistaken : your help is very concrete to me 🙏 thanks for the magical quote 😉

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
One word on diet. Eat foods that work for YOU. Eat something and see how you feel 1h after it. Observe your digestion, your energy, your psychological state, your cognitive abilities.

The typical Ray Peat diet of orange juice, milk, liver and eggs does not work for everyone.

Just like @Runenight201 I personally thrive on starches, meat, coconut fat, cooked vegetables (esp. green beans) and some fruits for dessert.
I’ve been suffering from severe depression for a long time, but it’s just one part of all my other health problems.

How is your thyroid function at the moment? Do you have recent blood work regarding TSH, fT4, fT3? How’s your underarm body temperature. How’s your resting heart rate.
My TSH is 2.8 !

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
Hey @French.cat, not sure if you've tried it but progesterone is something you should consider, and as a female you can have large doses for greater therapeutic effect. Peat has written and spoken about progesterone many times if you were wanting to learn more about it.
Yep. I’ve considered starting with pregnelonone though, As some is converted to progesterone 👌 i had to make a choice and I have financial issues so 🤷‍♀️

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
Hey @French.cat, do you have access to goat’s milk? Like you and others in this thread, I felt like I was falling apart and couldn’t digest anything, for a few years. The most easily digestible food I’ve ever had is goat’s milk (raw or pasteurized) and I’ve healed a lot by making goat milk most of my diet.
Thanks for the trick But I found I can Digest milk now. Not the raw version of it unfortunately 🤢 I force myself to drink a liter a day and it seems to improve a lot my stress level ! OJ is even more efficient 🤯
But i get blurred vision with OJ. I am having B1 supplement to clear that up.

Jonk

One word on diet. Eat foods that work for YOU. Eat something and see how you feel 1h after it. Observe your digestion, your energy, your psychological state, your cognitive abilities.

The typical Ray Peat diet of orange juice, milk, liver and eggs does not work for everyone.

This is important. And that it can change over time.

I also recently found a very interesting Youtube channel by the name Neil Hallinan, who works with something called Postural Restoration Institute. I don't want to oversimplify their concepts but something I picked up is the importance of finding your parasympathetic state of rest and digest. His approach is through movement but there are certain interesting tidbits such as clients "going neutral" by walking to a beat from music ->that they like<-. The way to have a neutral posture is more of a neurological action than a physical. There is importance to strength and stability too, but the pattern itself is neurological.

I think we can make general correlations to Peat's ideas in the sense that yes there are important specific aspects of food and their different compositions of nutrients, but we shouldn't lose sight of his broader concepts and that our way to achieve health can be different from others.

An overactive sympathetic state will surely effect your digestion negatively, and I'm not saying to not try or abstain from certain foods. My first thought though is that if you've had trouble with eating disorders an overactive sympathetic state might be a reason you react negatively to certain foods. One peculiar thing I've noticed in myself that I can handle certain foods better if I'm with friends, having a good time and laughing a lot.

Right now I am eating vegan with low protein and low fat, which I'm pretty sure is detrimental in the long run haha. It does however make me feel better in the this moment. It's easier for me now to digest larger amounts of carbohydrates and eating a lot of salty foods which I enjoy. Again, not saying this is a good well balanced diet, but it did work for me however temporarily this is.

"The Ray Peat diet" is probably great but like with all sorts of things in life, we are not robots, and it's probably wise to incorporate things not necessarily slowly but mindfully. This is very important to me purely from my own propensity to try and beat my physiology to submission, disregarding things like listening to what my body craves or needs, what foods taste good etc.

Lastly I just want to say that you are worth every bit of happiness and joy in life, and I have faith in you!

mostlylurking

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
This is important. And that it can change over time.

I also recently found a very interesting Youtube channel by the name Neil Hallinan, who works with something called Postural Restoration Institute. I don't want to oversimplify their concepts but something I picked up is the importance of finding your parasympathetic state of rest and digest. His approach is through movement but there are certain interesting tidbits such as clients "going neutral" by walking to a beat from music ->that they like<-. The way to have a neutral posture is more of a neurological action than a physical. There is importance to strength and stability too, but the pattern itself is neurological.

I think we can make general correlations to Peat's ideas in the sense that yes there are important specific aspects of food and their different compositions of nutrients, but we shouldn't lose sight of his broader concepts and that our way to achieve health can be different from others.

An overactive sympathetic state will surely effect your digestion negatively, and I'm not saying to not try or abstain from certain foods. My first thought though is that if you've had trouble with eating disorders an overactive sympathetic state might be a reason you react negatively to certain foods. One peculiar thing I've noticed in myself that I can handle certain foods better if I'm with friends, having a good time and laughing a lot.

Right now I am eating vegan with low protein and low fat, which I'm pretty sure is detrimental in the long run haha. It does however make me feel better in the this moment. It's easier for me now to digest larger amounts of carbohydrates and eating a lot of salty foods which I enjoy. Again, not saying this is a good well balanced diet, but it did work for me however temporarily this is.

"The Ray Peat diet" is probably great but like with all sorts of things in life, we are not robots, and it's probably wise to incorporate things not necessarily slowly but mindfully. This is very important to me purely from my own propensity to try and beat my physiology to submission, disregarding things like listening to what my body craves or needs, what foods taste good etc.

Lastly I just want to say that you are worth every bit of happiness and joy in life, and I have faith in you!
Thanks for the answer. I recognize myself as an overstressed, overanxious person... I suffer from overactivity of the nervous system most of the time. I can't tell by the simple fact that my heart jumps every time I hear something sudden on the street, even if it's not loud... Plus, I used to have really bad tensions in my cervicals as mentioned in my first thread. Insomnia and sympathetic state does hands and hands as well...

I don't love meat but don't even imagine going vegan and don't think it's sustainable for good health. However it seems that you enjoy it for the moment, so you may be a good listener to your body, and I think it is TREMENDOUSLY important.

Your last sentence brought me joy, you're a really nice person 🙏 thank you. ☺️

French cat ❤

L_C

I sympathize with you. My Mom is also toxic. I try to avoid her as much as I can. It's even harder since my siblings don't share the same opinion as I do or they don't have the same experience. She also would never admit she made mistakes in life and rather blames other people.

Recently she even told me that she never wanted any kids...so that explains it all.

Anyway, I don't have a specific advice for you...other than it helped me to analyze my Mom. Many of her bad traits did rub on me while growing up. So I did work hard on myself to change that...I guess just know you are not the only one....

OP
French.cat

French.cat

Forum Supporter
I sympathize with you. My Mom is also toxic. I try to avoid her as much as I can. It's even harder since my siblings don't share the same opinion as I do or they don't have the same experience. She also would never admit she made mistakes in life and rather blames other people.

Recently she even told me that she never wanted any kids...so that explains it all.

Anyway, I don't have a specific advice for you...other than it helped me to analyze my Mom. Many of her bad traits did rub on me while growing up. So I did work hard on myself to change that...I guess just know you are not the only one....
I’ve analyzed my mother for two decades now… I’m 31 and I’m fed up with all of her nonsense… well it took me time to admit she never really knew what love is about. I’m sincerely sad for her but forgiveness is still rough for me.

Are you a man or a woman ? I think moms have different behaviors depending on your gender.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals