Best Supplements For Depression?

StrongMom

What is the best way to deal with depression without increasing appetite?

Let me give you some background. I've always had a depressive personality, used Zoloft (SSRI) in the past ( and it help, or I thought it did at the time.) in the last few years, I am under serious stress: two young autistic kids, difficult relationship with husband, financial situation etc. i cannot change many of those things, at least in the near term. I am hypothyroid, suffering from insomnia, and many other problems.

The only way I am dealing with my situation is by eating. That is how I have always been. I have always been a bit overweight, chubby. I do not have a history of low carb- paleo etc. it is very hard for me to control my appetite when I am stressed and/or depressed. But it feels like things are getting out of control recently.

Is there a way to deal with depression without stimulating my appetite, like Zoloft did in the past?

Thanks

M

marikay

I can only imagine what kind of stress you are under, and I don't pretend to know as much as some here on this forum do regarding depression. But I can reassure you that your desire to eat when you feel depressed is actually a good thing. Your body knows that it needs something (maybe a b vitamin) to combat the depression. So I'd let myself eat whatever it is I am craving when depressed (keeping it as peaty as I could) and not stress out even more than you are now about overeating. A non-depressed person has a good appetite, so even having an appetite is a sign that your depression is fixable. Whatever you do, don't worry about weight gain. You may not be as chubby as you think you are. We are all of us living in a society that glamorizes extreme thinness. And I'll end this by saying what I say so often on this forum (especially to women) sugar, sugar, sugar. It's a wonderful thing:)

Greg says

Good B Complex. Tianeptine works for many people. It doesn't have the same appetite increasing effect as SSRIs. I've used it for stress related illness with much success on and off for a couple years. You may also respond well to thyroid if you know how to take it. Make shore you're eating sufficiently of course.

Tianeptine: a review of its use in depressive disorders. - PubMed - NCBI
Tianeptine Powder Sodium | Powder City
Serotonin Reuptake ENHANCER as Anti-Depressant – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

BastiFuntasty

What about sunlight or just walking in a nice green environment full of nature.
Just try to take your children and husband and do something together outside of your four walls.
Sunlight in combination with nature is such a powerful calming inherited supplement, try to take it. Being sourrended by nice people will also work wonders.
I would consider facing your own mental problems first, supplements may support some kind of wellbeing, but if you don't deal with the black hole in the depths of your soul, it will always prevent you from being happy and healthy.
Keep it up

haidut

Forum Supporter
What is the best way to deal with depression without increasing appetite?

Let me give you some background. I've always had a depressive personality, used Zoloft (SSRI) in the past ( and it help, or I thought it did at the time.) in the last few years, I am under serious stress: two young autistic kids, difficult relationship with husband, financial situation etc. i cannot change many of those things, at least in the near term. I am hypothyroid, suffering from insomnia, and many other problems.

The only way I am dealing with my situation is by eating. That is how I have always been. I have always been a bit overweight, chubby. I do not have a history of low carb- paleo etc. it is very hard for me to control my appetite when I am stressed and/or depressed. But it feels like things are getting out of control recently.

Is there a way to deal with depression without stimulating my appetite, like Zoloft did in the past?

Thanks

Aside from the diet, which you probably already do properly, a few supplements have been studies successfully for depression in humans. Methylene blue reversed both unipolar and bipolar depression in as little as 2 weeks in doses of 15mg daily. Magnesium taurate or glycinate (200mg - 400mg daily) reversed major depression in less than 7 days. Glycine and taurine on their own also have these effects. Thiamine (B1), pyridoxal (B6) and niacinamide (B3) have profound anti-stress action and have also been found to reverse some cases of depression. The amino acid theanine seems capable of reversing conditions related to PTSD and childhood trauma (including sexual abuse) in doses of 400mg - 800 daily. Given its anti-serotoin effects and the mandatory role of serotonin for the formation of any traumatic memory, this is not surprising. Theanine is also glutamate antagonist and the glutamaatergic system is upregulated in depression. Substances that lower cortisol can also reverse depression, so vitamin B6, glycine, DHEA, pregnenolone, progesterone, etc can all help.
There are tons of pharma drugs that can help as well, mostly the ones that oppose serotonin and/or promote dopamine.

M

marikay

Aside from the diet, which you probably already do properly, a few supplements have been studies successfully for depression in humans. Methylene blue reversed both unipolar and bipolar depression in as little as 2 weeks in doses of 15mg daily. Magnesium taurate or glycinate (200mg - 400mg daily) reversed major depression in less than 7 days. Glycine and taurine on their own also have these effects. Thiamine (B1), pyridoxal (B6) and niacinamide (B3) have profound anti-stress action and have also been found to reverse some cases of depression. The amino acid theanine seems capable of reversing conditions related to PTSD and childhood trauma (including sexual abuse) in doses of 400mg - 800 daily. Given its anti-serotoin effects and the mandatory role of serotonin for the formation of any traumatic memory, this is not surprising. Theanine is also glutamate antagonist and the glutamaatergic system is upregulated in depression. Substances that lower cortisol can also reverse depression, so vitamin B6, glycine, DHEA, pregnenolone, progesterone, etc can all help.
There are tons of pharma drugs that can help as well, mostly the ones that oppose serotonin and/or promote dopamine.

And those anti-serotonin/pro-dopamine substances would be great for the kids. (See the thread regarding serotonin and its relation to autism).

M

marikay

What about sunlight or just walking in a nice green environment full of nature.
Just try to take your children and husband and do something together outside of your four walls.
Sunlight in combination with nature is such a powerful calming inherited supplement, try to take it. Being sourrended by nice people will also work wonders.
I would consider facing your own mental problems first, supplements may support some kind of wellbeing, but if you don't deal with the black hole in the depths of your soul, it will always prevent you from being happy and healthy.
Keep it up

A month or so from now, the northern hemisphere will start to receive those wonderful UVB rays from the sun. That means more vitamin D (natural) and thereby more happiness. So hang in there StressedMom, your happy is on its way.

tara

That is a great post, marikay.
+1

+1 for sunshine, or red light if you can't get enough sun, B-vits, maybe glycine, taurine, MB, tianeptine

I guess you've tried coffee.
Are you getting enough sleep?

OP
S

StrongMom

I have tried most of those supplements; MB is really the only one I have not experimented at all. Dosage might be an issue. After experimenting a little while, most of the time I give up as I see no significant change. I took progesterone with high hopes. I had to take large dosages (25 drops 5-6 times a day) as otherwise I was having cramps in my uterus. In the meantime, I had an abnormal bone growth in my left foot, so I decided to stop and switched to pregnenolone. Currently I am taking about 500mg pregnenolone. Also i am on 4 grains of NDT ( with still low pulse and temperature).

I am taking Haidut's b vitamins. Maybe I need to raise the amount. B6 is the only one I didn't experimented in large dosage as I am scared that it might distort my sleep.

Theanine is the only thing that helps with my sleep, but if i take more than 100mg, it gives me a headache the next day, like a drunk feeling.

OP
S

StrongMom

And those anti-serotonin/pro-dopamine substances would be great for the kids. (See the thread regarding serotonin and its relation to autism).

That is one of the things making me depressed as I have been giving them to my kids without so far any significant improvement. I am I guess losing hope.

OP
S

StrongMom

+1

+1 for sunshine, or red light if you can't get enough sun, B-vits, maybe glycine, taurine, MB, tianeptine

I guess you've tried coffee.
Are you getting enough sleep?
I do not tolerate coffee well, but am working on it. In the last two months I moved from half a cup to 2-3 cups a day. Tomorrow I will try coffee and taurine together, will update if anything changes.

M

marikay

That is one of the things making me depressed as I have been giving them to my kids without so far any significant improvement. I am I guess losing hope.

Can you tell us what you are giving them? My nephew had a mild form of autism and was being treated with Prozac. When he finally got off it, the autism like symptoms subsided substantially, but it took a while.

HDD

I have tried most of those supplements; MB is really the only one I have not experimented at all. Dosage might be an issue. After experimenting a little while, most of the time I give up as I see no significant change. I took progesterone with high hopes. I had to take large dosages (25 drops 5-6 times a day) as otherwise I was having cramps in my uterus. In the meantime, I had an abnormal bone growth in my left foot, so I decided to stop and switched to pregnenolone. Currently I am taking about 500mg pregnenolone. Also i am on 4 grains of NDT ( with still low pulse and temperature).

I am taking Haidut's b vitamins. Maybe I need to raise the amount. B6 is the only one I didn't experimented in large dosage as I am scared that it might distort my sleep.

Theanine is the only thing that helps with my sleep, but if i take more than 100mg, it gives me a headache the next day, like a drunk feeling.

You might want to change thyroid medication..? Haidut's product seems to be a lot more effective than other ndt products.

Q: Low Thyroid, on 120mg of Natruoid, but still experiencing many symptoms, where can she find help?

RP: People can email me, but if a particular brand of Thyroid doesn’t work, then it’s good to change brands. Proloid-S is available in many countries, Cynoplus and Cytomel, but lacks some of the potential allergens that some of the natural ones have. Also changing the diet to include more of the metabolic promoters such as Calcium, the anti-inflammatory foods.
Health And Diet - One Radio Network 4 Dec 2013 | Ray Peat Forum

OP
S

StrongMom

Can you tell us what you are giving them? My nephew had a mild form of autism and was being treated with Prozac. When he finally got off it, the autism like symptoms subsided substantially, but it took a while.

Per Ray Peat' advice I am giving them NDT and pregnenolone. One of my boys has significant rigidities and fixations and that didn't improve at all.

M

marikay

Per Ray Peat' advice I am giving them NDT and pregnenolone. One of my boys has significant rigidities and fixations and that didn't improve at all.

Oh. I guess I misunderstood. I thought your meant you were giving them pharmaceuticals. Copious amounts of sugar and animal protein (eggs and full fat dairy mostly) gave my nephew significant relief from the rigidities and fixations he suffered from. But nothing worked better than getting him off SSRI's. I also wonder if a little bit of ProgestE (just a drop or two before bedtime) might help. I'm really really interested in this and, along with wishing you the very best, want to ask you to post any progress (or lack thereof) if you can. But no stressing over it if you can't. You're the lead human in this situation, and what happens to you (positive or negative) will have a huge effect on the kids. (But I guess you already know that:)

DaveFoster

Oh. I guess I misunderstood. I thought your meant you were giving them pharmaceuticals. Copious amounts of sugar and animal protein (eggs and full fat dairy mostly) gave my nephew significant relief from the rigidities and fixations he suffered from. But nothing worked better than getting him off SSRI's. I also wonder if a little bit of ProgestE (just a drop or two before bedtime) might help. I'm really really interested in this and, along with wishing you the very best, want to ask you to post any progress (or lack thereof) if you can. But no stressing over it if you can't. You're the lead human in this situation, and what happens to you (positive or negative) will have a huge effect on the kids. (But I guess you already know that:)
Low-dose naltrexone treats atypical depression, but it's a niche thing.

M

marikay

Low-dose naltrexone treats atypical depression, but it's a niche thing.
I just realized (from another thread) that @StressedMom's kids are very young. So I take back to ProgestE suggestion. I do think that a sugar solution (one part sugar, one part heated water with a pinch of salt) is an excellent thing to add to apple juice, milk, oj, etc. You can also give it to them by the spoonful. They'll love it. And I wouldn't push any vegetables on them (save for a few baby carrots if they can handle them).