Coffee Causing Depression

movebetter

I have been trying to drink some coffee with plenty of cream and sugar. It causes my depression to become worse and I feel very flat and withdrawn. Chocolate seems to do the same thing. My issue is fatigue, and depression which started when I was 19 after LSD. I became very fatigued and depressed and paranoid. I did not feel any of that during only after. All antidepressant didn’t work and ssri made me feel horrible. I am working my dosage of T3 up slowly and hoping it will help. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Being male I suppose progesterone is not recommended. I am trying some pregnenolone. I can’t tell if it has any affect. Nothing so far is helping. Drinking lots of milk with sugar, salt, juice and cheese and fruit. carrot salad, potato.

DaveFoster

Progesterone is fine for many man; it can make you feel apathetic if you take too much. When depressed, some need to take quite a bit of pregnenolone, as in 500 mg or more. Repeated doses of 200 mg will tell you how much you need. T3 will decrease your need for pregnenolone, but some get anxiety, brain fog, and depression on too much T3 without T4.

Cutting out starch can reduce the need for pregnenolone, and absolutely no starch can be beneficial for those with mood disorders.

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Thanks DaveFoster, when you say "Repeated doses of 200 mg will tell you how much you need." How will i know? i have been taking 500mg and sometimes 1,000mg at night.
i hardly eat any starch, 1 red potato a day, do you think it would help to eliminate that?

Herbie

I used to drink a few coffees a day with milk and sugar and stopped enjoying the whole experience and switched to black tea with milk and sugar and really enjoy it. I don't think its depressive like coffee can be. You could try Coca Cola.

B-styles

I've heard one reason coffee or cacao causing depression is the depletion of adrenaline like hormones. Catecholamines can help us feel good. Certain individuals are already depleted and coffee/cacao can make it worse. Also there is research behind depression being related to BRAIN INFLAMMATION. Unfortunately, dairy is very inflammatory for most folks. Lectins in the diet are a hidden source of inflammations ( nightshades including white potatoes, legumes etc ) Heavy metals and chemicals are also possible cause.

Check out: Blood Type Diet and Medical Medium books for more info.

meatbag

I have been trying to drink some coffee with plenty of cream and sugar. It causes my depression to become worse and I feel very flat and withdrawn. Chocolate seems to do the same thing. My issue is fatigue, and depression which started when I was 19 after LSD. I became very fatigued and depressed and paranoid. I did not feel any of that during only after. All antidepressant didn’t work and ssri made me feel horrible. I am working my dosage of T3 up slowly and hoping it will help. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Being male I suppose progesterone is not recommended. I am trying some pregnenolone. I can’t tell if it has any affect. Nothing so far is helping. Drinking lots of milk with sugar, salt, juice and cheese and fruit. carrot salad, potato.

Do you get much sunlight, use vitamin D3, or have you gotten any bloodwork relating to vitamin d and the Parathyroid?

B-styles

I can't really explain it however like you said....Caffeine increases adrenaline which over time could possibly deplete someones adrenals. I would do further research outside of what Ray Peat says. He's right about some things and wrong about others. Just because HE says blood type diet is insignificant doesn't make it so. Just saying

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Do you get much sunlight, use vitamin D3, or have you gotten any bloodwork relating to vitamin d and the Parathyroid?
Thanks for your response.
Last vitamin d was 31, I live in hi and try to get sun. Don't know about parathyroid. Is the a test and why is it important?

meatbag

Thanks for your response.
Last vitamin d was 31, I live in hi and try to get sun. Don't know about parathyroid. Is the a test and why is it important?

You might get something out of Chris Masterjohn's work on Vitamin D and the Parathyroid. He has several but this is an interesting one is regards to lab testing;

There are some good posts on the forum about vitamin d, it seems to be very important for the motivation and energy systems of the body. For example;

Vitamin D Is Dopaminergic And Decreases Obesity And Addiction Behaviors

From Danny Roddy's twitter;

Vitamin D and common mental disorders in mid-life: cross-sectional and prospective findings.
"This study provides support for an association of low 25(OH)D concentrations with current and subsequent risk of depression in mid-adulthood."

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Thanks DaveFoster, when you say "Repeated doses of 200 mg will tell you how much you need." How will i know? i have been taking 500mg and sometimes 1,000mg at night.
i hardly eat any starch, 1 red potato a day, do you think it would help to eliminate that?
You'll just feel better. I use pregnenolone if I'm depressed or stressed, and progesterone if I'm anxious or in pain. In the long-run, thyroid can probably reduce the need for both.

Waynish

Is it possible your experience of coming back to normal life was interpreted as fatigue? In comparison to the experience of LSD, everyday life is fatigue :P How much LSD did you take? Do you exercise?

OP
movebetter

movebetter

You'll just feel better. I use pregnenolone if I'm depressed or stressed, and progesterone if I'm anxious or in pain. In the long-run, thyroid can probably reduce the need for both.

oh cool, i really need to feel better. will try it. thank you!

OP
movebetter

movebetter

oh and how long to wait between dosage?

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Is it possible your experience of coming back to normal life was interpreted as fatigue? In comparison to the experience of LSD, everyday life is fatigue :p How much LSD did you take? Do you exercise?

well this happened over 50 years ago when i was 19. after the LSD trip. 250mcg as i recall from Timothy Leary League for Spiritual Discovery. after the experience which was good. life became flat and all i wanted to do was sleep. i was taken out of college by my parents and have struggled with fatigue and depression ever since . i have been searching and trying many things to help. yes i do exercise. thanks for you reply.

Waynish

well this happened over 50 years ago when i was 19. after the LSD trip. 250mcg as i recall from Timothy Leary League for Spiritual Discovery. after the experience which was good. life became flat and all i wanted to do was sleep. i was taken out of college by my parents and have struggled with fatigue and depression ever since . i have been searching and trying many things to help. yes i do exercise. thanks for you reply.

Well when examining a case like yours, I do think the perceived cause is relevant - don't you? It stuck out at me because while 250mcg is on the higher side (for some people) - I've only ever had extra energy on the days after high doses. Since the experience was good - as you say - why didn't you end up doing it a second time?

DaveFoster

oh and how long to wait between dosage?
I like to wait about 20 minutes between dosages, and I take it topically in DMSO as it makes the powder go further. I take 200 mg or 100 mg, usually more in the morning to recover from the stress of the night. I'll sometimes take a gram throughout the day. 200 mg every couple hours or so, for example. It depends on your level of stress.

The more starch I eat, the worse I feel. I'm not sure if this is the case with you. Activated charcoal, antibiotics, and the carrot salad can lower endotoxin, and starch increases it. Using thyroid and pregnenolone quells the inflammatory response to endotoxin.

keith

I think one of the more important, but often ignored pieces of advice Ray gives, is to experiment and observe the results. If coffee is making you feel depressed, I might suggest you just avoid it. Don't try to force things that you think should work for you, when they clearly aren't. You can always reintroduce it later, if you desire, or your situation changes. Sometimes forgetting what you "know" is the best way to learn new things. RP's advice is fantastic, in my experience, but he isn't omniscient and would never claim to be. Best of luck.

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Well when examining a case like yours, I do think the perceived cause is relevant - don't you? It stuck out at me because while 250mcg is on the higher side (for some people) - I've only ever had extra energy on the days after high doses. Since the experience was good - as you say - why didn't you end up doing it a second time?
I did second time and was better but after even worse after, not only fatigue and depression but parinoid and withdrawn. It's taken me a long time to get as better as I am so I am afraid to mess with it again. Pot makes me paranoid and depressed too. The only reason I mention the cause is maybe someone would know what happened metabolically and what to do to correct it. I have heard that lsd lowers serotonin. I just don't know but something changed quickly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals