What's Wrong With Potatoes [How Do They Agree With You?]

Raypmom

lindsay said:
Brian said:
If I'm feeling a little blasphemous maybe some well cooked or sautéed vegetables, just like momma used to.

I don't really think RP is as anti-vegetables as everyone on here things, so long as they are well cooked. I love veggies - you can't make a stew without some veggies.

I do make slow cooked stews. I use carrots, onions, garlic and cilantro/parsley. (only in stews/lamb shanks) They are well cooked this way too. I guess I should've clarified, I just meant I can't chomp on leafy green veggies like I did when I was a vegetarian nor do I ever crave them. Stir fry kale use to be a really favorite of mine and curry with veggies. I just can't eat them anymore, even if I tried. I would be put off by it. We all experience different things in different ways because everyone's body is in a different state.

Maybe there are some individuals who feel good on "french fried Potaters! (Sling blade, anyone?) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pz2kXoDo_s :lol: :lol:

tara

I've known people to say they don't like potatoes, and then I've realised they didn't know to avoid any green bits. The slightest greening makes them poisonous and disgusting - it wouldn't surprise me if that would make someone throw up. It seems some people are sensitive to them even when not green.

The starch and fibre can feed more bacteria, leading to more endotoxin than simple sugars (unless the potatoes also promote improved peristalsis, getting everything moving out faster?).

The starch breaks down to glucose. New potatoes may have a little more sugar and a little less starch in them too, but still mostly starch/glucose I think. A large feed of starch can increase blood glucose rapidly, stimulating larger insulin release than a similar amount of sugar, which only gives ~half as much glucose. So for people whose blood sugar regulation system is overburdened, potatoes may lead to bouncy blood sugars. This insulin response can also lead to more fat storage. I think these effects probably vary depending on state of the body and activity, timing, etc. I expect the effects would be different in conjunction with weight-training than with web-surfing. Some people clearly do better without or with less starch.

The benefits of potatoes include useful protein and keto-acids, potassium and other minerals to help metabolise the carbs, reasonably high calorie density, taste, cost, easy to grow, easy to store (but must be kept in the dark to prevent greening), easy to cook, encourage salting, ...

I'm with pboy oon the point that whether they are an improvement in your diet or not depends on what the alternative would be, as well as your own state.

I seem to start feeling off if I go more than 2-3 days with no starch. So far I haven't tried going longer than 3 days, but maybe I'll persevere with it at some stage.
I usually feel good in the hours after eating potatoes. But they do give me gas, so they may be causing me increased endotoxin or serotonin problems the next day or two - I don't know. I think potatoes serve me better than other available starchy foods. I usually eat them either boiled with butter melted over them, or as chips baked in coconut oil, or sometimes mashed with milk and butter. Usually 3-4 times/week.

I always let them sprout, cut out the dark spots and green parts, boil them for almost an hour. Tried white, yellow, red, sweet.

tara

Such_Saturation said:
I always let them sprout, cut out the dark spots and green parts, boil them for almost an hour. Tried white, yellow, red, sweet.
I've heard others say they avoid sprouted potatoes - I don't know why, or which is better. What's the reasoning for each?

tara said:
Such_Saturation said:
I've heard others say they avoid sprouted potatoes - I don't know why, or which is better. What's the reasoning for each?

I think Ray Peat advised to do so. Probably forces the potato to unpack all the starch.

johns74 said:
Does sprouting potatoes increase their solanine (a toxin)?

Good question. Apparently they turn green under the sun though. I've eaten day-old potatoes and same symptoms.

johns74

Do you store your potatoes in the dark? Exposing them to light increases solanine.

johns74 said:
Do you store your potatoes in the dark? Exposing them to light increases solanine.

In the pantry :cool:

johns74

If you sprout your potatoes with any technique that uses light, you'll get an increase in solanine. You might be reacting to that.

tara

I've heard Peat say sprouting turns seeds (grains, beans) into more usable proteins and sugars, but I hadn't heard it about potatoes. If potatoes go too far with sprouting they become inedible. Potatoes will sprout in the dark - they sprout from far underground when planted, or in a thick paper bag in the pantry.
New (ie small, young) potatoes have less starch/more sugar.

johns74

This book claims that sprouted potatoes have more solanine: Link

So the bad experiences of those who make sure to eat their potatoes sprouted maybe won't apply to others.

Well I started "making sure" after normal potatoes didn't cut it. It is not a straightforward thing you are talking about. From http://lib.gen.in/next/MTAuMTAxNi9zMDky ... 7276-6.pdf

In storage, a tuber is not a static entity, and during
storage a constant flow of carbohydrates is released
from starch for respiration (Burton, 1989: Van der
Plas, 1987; Van Es and Hartmans, 1981). Conversion
of starch into sugars appears to be reversible
(Isherwood, 1973), and when the nett release of
sugars from starch exceeds consumption, sugars accumulate.
Storage temperature and physiological age
of the tuber affect the process of sweetening. Cold
storage results in so-called cold-induced sweetening,
while ageing of tubers leads to senescent sweetening
(Burton, 1989).

The developing sprouts form, in fact, an additional sink, removing
sugars from the tuber and thus being responsible for
the observed change in senescent sweetening. At 8°C
and 10°C when no excessive sprouting occurred,
the model correctly describes senescent sweetening.

johns74

Maybe you should give it some time before trying again. I wonder if one is more sensitive to solanine for some time after consuming a lot of it.

johns74 said:
Maybe you should give it some time before trying again. I wonder if one is more sensitive to solanine for some time after consuming a lot of it.

Now now, don't go all solanine nazi on me. I will try potatoes if you try no potatoes.

johns74

Such_Saturation said:
johns74 said:

Now now, don't go all solanine nazi on me. I will try potatoes if you try no potatoes.

I rarely eat potatoes. When I have ample time and money, I make mashed potatoes and enjoy them.

I stopped and restarted enough times to believe it doesn't make a big difference in health. I'm very confident that stopping it won't help with hair loss.

Raypmom

@Tara
"I think these effects probably vary depending on state of the body and activity, timing, etc. I expect the effects would be different in conjunction with weight-training than with web-surfing. Some people clearly do better without or with less starch."

What do you mean here ? Because the friend that I mentioned earlier who eats 1-2 cups of mashed potatoes per week works out. She does resistance training 4x week. So if you are saying what I think you are saying, then that could be very well true.

I have noticed I don't feel so terrible if I eat them on a day I did a session with heavy lifting with weights. But I still get the allergy issues the next morning. That's why I stay away as much as I can. But I see what you are saying though.

narouz

pboy said:
Peat ism is more a philosophy than diet, and the idea is to become as perfect as possible according to our metabolism. Eating starches is an adaptation and isn't ideal especially for people in bad health situations that need to recover. Its not the worst thing ever, in fact its alright, but it does have flaws like many other conventionally eaten foods. Your diet might get worse or better depending on what else you eat. Im not telling people and I don't think other people here are what they must or must not eat, but if you want the most scientific or experiential information regarding whats wrong with potatoes, they can be listed and described. It is what it is, I didn't choose it

I agree, pboy.
You study Peat's written work and interviews,
you compile everything he's said about starches,
you note everything he's ever revealed about his own personal diet...
it's quite plain potatoes are not ideal from a Peat perspective.
Maybe, with correct prep, bunch of other caveats..."safe."

The fascinating thing here, on this forum,
is how simply stating that pretty obvious fact
becomes an exercise in Authoritarianism! :eek:
(in this case, Nazi-ism: the most heinous of all authoritarians I guess.
Well...next, of course, to those Cruelest Overlords
who proclaim: "There IS a Peat diet!" :lol: ).

I ate tofu and beans no problem while training high-intensity. It is not a proper context to judge. I don't know why you think potatoes should affect hair loss, but I'd gladly go bald tomorrow if I could feel that bliss every day from now on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals