Potatoes are in the same family as ashwaganda

aniciete

If Ray came out and said he's 'experimenting with potatoes', this entire forum would bend over backwards and justify its consumption, just like its done with oats.
Potatoes are a regular part of my diet and I don't experience any of the issues described in this thread.
That’s why self experimentation is best. Sadly not enough members will be willing to try out different things before taking 5+ different supplements and using research hormones.

Dave Clark

No, it is you who is.

The starches he reccomends (eg carrots, oat bran) are just for gut cleasing, not nutrition. And he never advocated for masa as optimal food, he only said it is the least worst starch in the context of nutrition.
I just heard him say on the recent One Radio podcast that he eats oatmeal, and advocates it. If that isn't a starch, I don't know what is.

Charger

It antagonizes 5-HT3 but it also has other compounds in it that are naturally serotonergic, so the net effect is more serotonin. And from most people's experience with PSSD (post ssri sexual dysfunction) I can say for sure, it has a libido killing tendency. So I wouldn't mess with it.
Which compounds are these? The only compounds I know of have 5-HT2B, 5-HT2, and 5-HT3 antagonist properties or activate the 5-HT1A autoreceptor.

I've taken Ginger for about a year now and the main thing I notice is reduced aggression or irritability, almost like lowered cortisol/serotonin. Ofcourse cortisol can contribute to emotions which then contribute to libido in a sense, but I wouldn't call the effect serotonergic.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Potatoes are a regular part of my diet and I don't experience any of the issues described in this thread.
We eat potatoes everyday and don't notice any of those problems either. Not every food will agree with everyone.

OP
S

Starchless

Lamb is in the same category as dog [four legged animals]
You're running on L-tryptophan if you think like that

Plants have similar compounds when they're in the same family, animals are animals, if it's good quality meat then you can eat meat without something killing your libido or agonising serotonin in some kind of way.

Tenacity

Some people have trouble with fruits. You know what else is a fruit? Avocado. Coincidence? I think not!

OP
S

Starchless

Some people have trouble with fruits. You know what else is a fruit? Avocado. Coincidence? I think not!
You took 20mg of L-tryptophan before typing this, probably snorted a line of potato starch aswell.

Potatoes have steroids (solanine) just like ashwaganda, a root is a root, a fruit is a fruit. Fruits want to be eaten, roots do not. So obviously most fruits won't have these kinds of compounds.

If a fruit has starch it usually means it's unripe, starch shouldn't be there.

Potatoes are like unripe fruit for humans, hard to digest and harmful.

Tenacity

You took 20mg of L-tryptophan before typing this, probably snorted a line of potato starch aswell.

Potatoes have steroids (solanine) just like ashwaganda, a root is a root, a fruit is a fruit. Fruits want to be eaten, roots do not. So obviously most fruits won't have these kinds of compounds.

If a fruit has starch it usually means it's unripe, starch shouldn't be there.

Potatoes are like unripe fruit for humans, hard to digest and harmful.
I can assure you I did not take any serotonergic substances prior to sending any messages here. No, I only subsist on God's chosen food source for man, fruit. Boy, bananas sure are tasty!

Tenacity

Bananas are a herb
"Bananas are both a fruit and not a fruit. While the banana plant is colloquially called a banana tree, it's actually an herb distantly related to ginger, since the plant has a succulent tree stem, instead of a wood one. The yellow thing you peel and eat is, in fact, a fruit because it contains the seeds of the plant."

You herb it here first, folks!

Dave Clark

I would like to see the 'data' that shows what a high quality extract of ashwagandha has in it, regarding all these negative compounds mentioned. I doubt there is any when something has a high purification and extraction rate. Just because two plants come from the same family as each other does not ensure that the final product has the same elements in them. Citrus fruits, for instance can have varying compounds, some good, and some bad {some mess with phase one enzymes in the liver , others do not}. You can't generalize and conflate biochemistry broad spectrum, even when plants come from the same species. If someone has any analysis of ashwagandha extracts, like Sensoril, Shoden, KSM-66, etc., please post.

Summer

Indigenous people who incorporated starches in their diet usually had a way of preparing them for consumption because in their natural state, they aren’t easily digested. Some cultures would ferment oats prior to consumption. Rice should be throughly rinsed prior to cooking. I imagine potatoes are no different.

They also all need to be chewed throughly. People began eating starches not because they wanted to, but because they had to. Year-round fruit simply is unrealistic and only achievable due to globalization.

Veritas IV

Indigenous people who incorporated starches in their diet usually had a way of preparing them for consumption because in their natural state, they aren’t easily digested. Some cultures would ferment oats prior to consumption. Rice should be throughly rinsed prior to cooking. I imagine potatoes are no different.

They also all need to be chewed throughly. People began eating starches not because they wanted to, but because they had to. Year-round fruit simply is unrealistic and only achievable due to globalization.
Was going to mention similar. Starches need preparation and different starches need different forms of preparation. Our mass produced starch products have not been prepared correctly. Remember the nixtamalized corn experiments? Well cooked potatoes eaten with buttermilk or other fats but not with coffee or tea? And fermented oats as Summer pointed out in my quote above? Don't forget about persorption.

And in the case of grains some people may also be dealing with phytic acid, lectins, antinutrients, etc in addition to improper preparation.

I'm sure that even with proper preparation different starches will affect everyone differently, but many can probably find a match that agrees with them.

Personal side note: I recall going low starch for one week about a year ago, specifically no grains, potatoes, corn, oats etc. On the 7th day and a few hours before bedtime i splurged on a hot pretzel, standard dough, butter and less salt. The next morning my entire face felt taught, sort of dried up, along with a mild odd sensation that's hard to explain and i've never felt before. That feeling lasted at least a few hours after waking, i felt totally fine otherwise.

Edit: sorry i went way OT here.

Last edited:

-Luke-

No, it is you who is.

The starches he reccomends (eg carrots, oat bran) are just for gut cleasing, not nutrition. And he never advocated for masa as optimal food, he only said it is the least worst starch in the context of nutrition.
Peat has spoken positively about potatoes in several podcasts. I'm pretty sure he once referred to them on One Radio Network as an "almost perfect food" or some similar phrase. He usually adds a "well cooked" when talking about starch.

The starch vs. sugar discussion is almost on a religious level sometimes. Some people on this forum don't tolerate starch at all, some tolerate it well. Some have ripe fruit available, some only have fruit you could crack someone's skull in with. For many people, the way they tolerate certain foods changes as their health changes.

It's "Perceive. Think. Act", right?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
It antagonizes 5-HT3 but it also has other compounds in it that are naturally serotonergic, so the net effect is more serotonin. And from most people's experience with PSSD (post ssri sexual dysfunction) I can say for sure, it has a libido killing tendency. So I wouldn't mess with it.

I agree ginger crashes me and feels serotonergic.

OP
S

Starchless

I agree ginger crashes me and feels serotonergic.
pretty much all roots are serotonergic for whatever reason. Now I avoid everything that looks like ashwaganda or a potato.

Even bananas, I avoid them simply because of the fact that they're related to ginger, which I didn't even know before.
Explains why they have serotonergic activity, it is also similar to the plantain, which is also another high serotonin fruit.

I would say just stick to the "fruity" fruits that look and taste how fruits should naturally taste the less fruity "starch" fruits are best to be avoided.

So pear/pear juice, oranges and whatever seem to be safe when it comes to PSSD.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals