Potato Protein Soup Cooking Rules

haidut

Forum Supporter
Some people here have tried the Peat potato protein soup and have wondered why he says he cooks it for at least 45min. Some say to inactivate some toxins, but looks like there is a very specific reason for the 45min minimum cook time and it is due to the fact that it increases recovered amount of keto acids from the liquid. Now, the study below used the boiling method in order to extract keto acids from potato slices, so it is not the same as juice where presumably the keto acids are already extracted. But the fact that the study talks about boiling (45min) increasing yield of keto acidss in the final substance makes me think that Peat is on to something when he says cook for at least 45min.
Has anybody exchanged emails with Peat on this topic?

http://www.biochemj.org/bj/064/0549/0640549.pdf

"...An examination of the results in Table 1 indicates that the yield of both pyruvic and a-oxo-glutaric acids is increased if the maceration is made at a higher temperature. The reason for the increase is not the same for both acids, for if an extract made at a low temperature (0-18°) is subsequently heated to 100°, the yield of pyruvic acid increases markedly but that of oc-oxoglutaric acid remains stationary. The extra yield of pyruvic acid would appear to be due to the acid hydrolysis of a labile compound in the extract."

If you look at Table 1, you will see that the researchers boiled for exactly 45min to get the keto acids out of the potato and strawberry leaves. The study also also lists two other rich sourced of keto acids - peas and strawberry leaves.
Anybody up for some strawberry leaves soup? :):

burtlancast

I thought the 45 min cooking was a precautionary measure to prevent residual starch from being consumed raw ?

narouz

burtlancast said:
I thought the 45 min cooking was a precautionary measure to prevent residual starch from being consumed raw ?

burt...I thought like you thought. :eek: :shock:

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:

If it was just due to the starch, then you don't need to cook it for 45min. Starch turns into gel after 10min-15min of cooking tops and cooking it further probably does not change much.
Be that as it may, my post is speculative, as I mentioned above. It just caught my eye that it took 45min of boiling to get the biggest keto acid yield, and I thought this maybe another (rather than the only) reason why Peat says 45min.
If someone gets a chance to ask him it would be great to clarify this topic.

narouz

haidut said:
burtlancast said:

If it was just due to the starch, then you don't need to cook it for 45min. Starch turns into gel after 10min-15min of cooking tops and cooking it further probably does not change much.
Be that as it may, my post is speculative, as I mentioned above. It just caught my eye that it took 45min of boiling to get the biggest keto acid yield, and I thought this maybe another (rather than the only) reason why Peat says 45min.
If someone gets a chance to ask him it would be great to clarify this topic.

It's a great post, haidut.
The Peat Potato Soup is a fascinating thing
for me.

yoshiesque

im sure this has been asked before but i cant find it:

1. do we peel the potatos before cooking?
2. both the potatos AND the juice left over is something we are suppose to eat?
3. should we go organic?

narouz

yoshiesque said:

3. should we go organic?

I've done it a couple of times.
Here's my view:

-peel first
-you'll need a juicer; centrifugal one is fine
-throw away peelings
-throw away fiber separated by juicer
-let the remaining liquid set
-the starch will settle
-there may be a little floating stuff
-skim off the floating stuff and throw away
-pour off the liquid leaving the settled starch; throw away settled starch
-cook the liquid for at least 45 minutes
-eat

yoshiesque

oh didnt know about the juicer.

i was gonna just peel the potato, cut it up into small pieces and boil it for an hour or so then drink the juice AND eat the potato. Might just chuck some egg shell to balance out the phosphate.

Is anyone doing this? Is it not a good idea?

Peatri Dish

narouz said:
yoshiesque said:

3. should we go organic?

I've done it a couple of times.
Here's my view:

-peel first
-you'll need a juicer; centrifugal one is fine
-throw away peelings
-throw away fiber separated by juicer
-let the remaining liquid set
-the starch will settle
-there may be a little floating stuff
-skim off the floating stuff and throw away
-pour off the liquid leaving the settled starch; throw away settled starch
-cook the liquid for at least 45 minutes
-eat
I am not in possession of a juicer. I think I might purchase one specifically for this use. The only kind of juicer I've ever used has been one for oranges where one just holds the orange to the spinning mechanism and the OJ gushes through a plastic screen and is collected at the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding centrifugal juicers? Money is a concern here, so...easy on the gourmet gadgets!

narouz

I got a centrifugal juicer made by Black & Decker I believe.
It works great.
I think it was about $30.

Barry Obummer

So if starch doesn't give you a bad reaction can you get the bonus keto-acid protein benefit from just steamed potatoes? That's how I have been cooking them. Cubed and in the steamer for like 15 minutes. Works pretty good.

M

marikay

@haidut and others: Here is what Ray wrote last October when I emailed him asking how long to cook the juice of the potato to make soup:

It varies with the type of potato, but just reaching the boiling point usually coagulates it and improves the taste and digestibility; if the potatoes are a watery type the juice might not coagulate but it is o.k. for soup. - Ray

Still haven't tried this as I do not yet have a centrifugal juicer. I'm also wondering if anyone has tried freezing the soup after it has been cooked in order to save it for later use.

achillea

@haidut and others: Here is what Ray wrote last October when I emailed him asking how long to cook the juice of the potato to make soup:

It varies with the type of potato, but just reaching the boiling point usually coagulates it and improves the taste and digestibility; if the potatoes are a watery type the juice might not coagulate but it is o.k. for soup. - Ray

Still haven't tried this as I do not yet have a centrifugal juicer. I'm also wondering if anyone has tried freezing the soup after it has been cooked in order to save it for later use.

Freeze it all the time for later. Put it in a cup of some kind and freeze. Then either thaw while in cup enough to plop into a pot and warm or for longer periods of freezing we freeze in a wide soup cup and then jimmy it out with a knife, wrap in freezer paper and put in a plastic bag.

M

marikay

Freeze it all the time for later. Put it in a cup of some kind and freeze. Then either thaw while in cup enough to plop into a pot and warm or for longer periods of freezing we freeze in a wide soup cup and then jimmy it out with a knife, wrap in freezer paper and put in a plastic bag.

Good to know. Thanks achillea,

DaveFoster

This is the most labor-intensive cooking I've ever heard of. Does anyone even do this?

kaybb

This is the most labor-intensive cooking I've ever heard of. Does anyone even do this?
Due to pain in hands (fibromyalgia), peeling and cutting potatoes is a dreaded chore let alone the juicing, draining, etc. I do bake potatoes a lot ...there is probably something wrong with baking them, but some days it's the best it gets.

DaveFoster

Due to pain in hands (fibromyalgia), peeling and cutting potatoes is a dreaded chore let alone the juicing, draining, etc. I do bake potatoes a lot ...there is probably something wrong with baking them, but some days it's the best it gets.
Have you tried high dosages of thiamine for muscular fatigue?

aquaman

Doesn't take very long?? A few pounds takes a few minutes to peel and juice, then i let it sit for about 30 mins, boil it for 10 mins and add to bone and mineral broths with tons of salt - amazing. I definitely notice the lack of burping after meals which Peat described due to interacting with ammonia in the stomach to create amino acids.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals