Potato Protein Soup Cooking Rules

Mossy

Would using a masticating juicer work as well as a centrifugal one?
If you search the forms, you should be able to find a Peat reference where he says something to the extent that centrifugal is best, but a masticating one is still OK.

Ella

Forum Supporter
"Two pounds of well-cooked mashed potato has the protein value similar to a liter of milk, about 33 grams of protein. A person would be able to live for a long time on two or three liters of either milk or 4-6 pounds of potatoes per day. The milk drinker would eventually need to supplement iron, the potato eaters would need to supplement vitamin A, possibly B12, but both of them are nearly perfect foods"

@theLaw, thank you, this is extremely valuable. We are talking 2 - 3kg of potatoes every day. For a family of 5 that's up to 15 kg/day. Shitloads of mash potatoes. Looks like I need to plant more. If this gets out, the price of potatoes is going to skyrocket. Easier to grow potatoes than to keep and milk cows.

I am guessing when he states mashed potatoes, he is excluding the added milk and butter.

If we mash the potatoes, add milk and butter, would we still need to supplement B12, vitamin A and I think iron still required as the calcium in the milk would stop the absorption of iron from the potatoes. Combining the milk with the mashed tatters would reduce the quantity of potatoes/day.

Does anyone know?

theLaw

@Ella

Keep in mind, as Peat has said many times, starches are not optimal if better foods are available.

Peat himself limits starch intake to some tortillas made with Masa Harina every couple of weeks.

Easier to grow potatoes than to keep and milk cows.

This philosophy is what created the starch consumption problem that we have today.

Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia

Fractality

I will be in possession of a centrifugal juicer soon and am excited to try this. Is cooking the juice absolutely necessary? I'm sure making a soup with veggies and mushrooms would be most palatable but it would be nice to know if drinking the juice raw would be an issue.

golder

I will be in possession of a centrifugal juicer soon and am excited to try this. Is cooking the juice absolutely necessary? I'm sure making a soup with veggies and mushrooms would be most palatable but it would be nice to know if drinking the juice raw would be an issue.

Would also like to know the answer to this, Fractality. Did you get any input elsewhere?

Sherbert

Some people here have tried the Peat potato protein soup and have wondered why he says he cooks it for at least 45min. Some say to inactivate some toxins, but looks like there is a very specific reason for the 45min minimum cook time and it is due to the fact that it increases recovered amount of keto acids from the liquid. Now, the study below used the boiling method in order to extract keto acids from potato slices, so it is not the same as juice where presumably the keto acids are already extracted. But the fact that the study talks about boiling (45min) increasing yield of keto acidss in the final substance makes me think that Peat is on to something when he says cook for at least 45min.
Has anybody exchanged emails with Peat on this topic?

http://www.biochemj.org/bj/064/0549/0640549.pdf

"...An examination of the results in Table 1 indicates that the yield of both pyruvic and a-oxo-glutaric acids is increased if the maceration is made at a higher temperature. The reason for the increase is not the same for both acids, for if an extract made at a low temperature (0-18°) is subsequently heated to 100°, the yield of pyruvic acid increases markedly but that of oc-oxoglutaric acid remains stationary. The extra yield of pyruvic acid would appear to be due to the acid hydrolysis of a labile compound in the extract."

If you look at Table 1, you will see that the researchers boiled for exactly 45min to get the keto acids out of the potato and strawberry leaves. The study also also lists two other rich sourced of keto acids - peas and strawberry leaves.
Anybody up for some strawberry leaves soup? :):
guessing there're two ways to make it..

one is with a centrifugal juicer after which scrambling just takes several minutes:
"An easily available and inexpensive source of ketones (in the form of ketoacids, which can be converted to amino acids if they aren't needed for energy) is the juice extracted (with a centrifugal juicer) from raw potatoes, which also contains proteins and other nutrients. The juice can be scrambled like eggs, and is usually tolerated even by very debilitated people." .. Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation

the other is boiling whole potatoes 🥔 which would take about 45 minutes coz that's how long it takes to cook a pot of starchy tubers all the way through.. even cutting up the potatoes before cooking won't take that much time out of the process..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals