Quick Q About Peat Potato Protein Soup

jyb

burtlancast said:
I'm worried though about remaining raw starch; does anybody know if the settling process is efficient at near 100% ?

Try evaporation over the stove to measure the residue. My guess is that the quantity left (and letting the liquid settle overnight) is extremely small compared to that found in a single potato. The soup should after the settling should be like water in consistent, with some non dense particles here and there. Obviously when cooking it does the scambled eggs thing, that's because it wasn't settled properly.

aquaman

jyb said:
burtlancast said:
I'm worried though about remaining raw starch; does anybody know if the settling process is efficient at near 100% ?

Try evaporation over the stove to measure the residue. My guess is that the quantity left (and letting the liquid settle overnight) is extremely small compared to that found in a single potato. The soup should after the settling should be like water in consistent, with some non dense particles here and there. Obviously when cooking it does the scambled eggs thing, that's because it wasn't settled properly.

I find 30 minutes lets most of the starch settle out. I cook the soup for 20 minutes to cook any remaining out, then often re-heat it mixed with broth and other stuff (eg cream like the recipe given last week by someone). Also if i leave the stuff overnight it always turns brown no matter how i cover it, I think this oxidation would be worse than a tiny amount of starch.

jyb

aquaman said:
I find 30 minutes lets most of the starch settle out. I cook the soup for 20 minutes to cook any remaining out, then often re-heat it mixed with broth and other stuff (eg cream like the recipe given last week by someone). Also if i leave the stuff overnight it always turns brown no matter how i cover it, I think this oxidation would be worse than a tiny amount of starch.

Browning of the potato has nothing to do with that kind of oxidation. It's a harmless reaction.

Uncaged

I looked around, and haven't found anyone making the potato soup without a juicer.

My question is, can the potatoes be blended up thoroughly in a Vitamix, then left overnight for the starch to settle out? Or would this method leave behind too much excess fiber?

Dan010101

Anyone know where I can read the method for making Potato soup? The old thread about it is missing pictures now so Im not 100% what to do...

movebetter

i just juiced 5 lbs of red potatoes. put the liquid part in a pan and through out the solids in the bottom of the jar and cooked the liquid for 30 minuets. as it cooked the starch formed in lumps. I scooped out whatever sticky stuff formed and got about 8 oz of liquid. is that right? Seems like so little and am i getting equivalent of 2 qts of milk protein as Ray Peat says? 2 lbs of potatoes= 1 qt of milk protein = 40g. so if all the protein were to be in the liquid 1 cup would = 80g!
5lbs of organic potatoes cost me $11.
This whole process didnt take that long so i am wondering if i did something wrong. It taste great.

aquaman

Anyone know where I can read the method for making Potato soup? The old thread about it is missing pictures now so Im not 100% what to do...

It's incredibly easy.

Peel, then juice potatoes with a centrifugal juicer.

The tough part comes out from the juicer.

Leave the juice in any pot/container for 20-30 mins, then simply slowly pour the liquid into a cooking pot. You'll see at the bottom of the first pot, there will be a thick layer of white starch paste. It almost solidifies, but when you put your fingers in, it turns back to liquid/paste. It's super cool. Running under water will send it down the drain.

I boil the liquid on a simmer for 10-15 mins, it stays liquid and doesn't coagulate for me. I add cooked greens liquid, or boil them in the same pan for 15 mins as I cook the juice. There will always be SOME starch left in the juice so it will go a bit grainy. You can sieve this or not. I add cream tbsp with some tomato paste too sometimes - TONS of salt. It's delicious.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals