Quick Q About Peat Potato Protein Soup

J

j.

Is it a good idea to use a colander to remove the starch after cooking the juice?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Is it a good idea to use a colander to remove the starch after cooking the juice?
I use muslin and still get some starch left over. I cannot imagine a colander doing much for the starch but I could be wrong.

J

j.

Charlie said:
I use muslin and still get some starch left over. I cannot imagine a colander doing much for the starch but I could be wrong.

After it's cooked?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No, after the juicing part.

J

j.

Charlie said:
No, after the juicing part.

Before letting it stand? It seems there would be way too much starch at that point, so it would be easier to do it after it separates, or not?

jyb

I find straining to be counter-productive. Best is to leave the juice sit overnight in the fridge, then every day scoop up what you need to cook. The starch will stay at the bottom rock solid as long as you don't touch it. Prior to this method, I strained it, which wasn't easy and there was still starch forming after leaving it the fridge, so it wasn't useful.

Whatever the method, if you do it properly then the liquid you cook does not solidify at all, contrary to what you'd get if you cooked the liquid after the juicing without waiting. There may be some particles in suspension, but its really a liquid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I let it stand for a bit, then strain, then let it stand in the fridge, then strain again sometimes. If you happen to get all the starch out so that non settles on the bottom, congratulations, you win the internet. :mrgreen:

J

j.

Charlie said:
cannot imagine a colander doing much for the starch but I could be wrong.

I think there are some colanders that are really good.

burtlancast

Does using multiple coffee filters do the job of separating the starch ?
There are too some commercial fine filters on can reuse.

It would be really nice health wise to be able to drink the juice without cooking it.

J

j.

burtlancast said:
It would be really nice health wise to be able to drink the juice without cooking it.

Because of raw food dogma or just convenience?

burtlancast

j. said:
burtlancast said:

Because of raw food dogma or just convenience?

I believe cooking destroys some enzymes, and certainly some vitamins.
And there's the oxydation to ambient air that takes place; the less time it's exposed to air, the less oxydised it gets.
I can't say for sure all the ingredients in raw potato juice are considered beneficial though; did Ray say something about that ?

J

j.

burtlancast said:
I believe cooking destroys some enzymes, and certainly some vitamins.
And there's the oxydation to ambient air that takes place; the less time it's exposed to air, the less oxydised it gets.
I can't say for sure all the ingredients in raw potato juice are considered beneficial though; did Ray say something about that ?

I think the main use for the potato juice is to provide protein to someone with weak digestive system. The cooking is to reduce some of the bad aspects of potatoes, Ray recommends cooking them I think for 40 minutes. But the protein and the minerals I believe aren't destroyed. The vitamins that are destroyed one could get from another source (liver juice?).

burtlancast

Well, i cooked the full juice, together with the starch.

Then i let it separate in the fridge; but each time i touch the surface, the starch at the bottom starts agitating.

Maybe i should use this:

sepfun7.jpg

Mittir

You can try coffee filter to remove the starch when it is in raw liquid form.
If one is allergenic to Solanine compound in potato then removing starch is not
going to make it safe. RP recommends peeling the skin as most of the
Solanine is concentrated just below the skin. I think in terms of nutrition
it is a super food.After a lot of experimentation i have temporarily given
up on potato protein soup, may be ill try it later.

burtlancast

Today was the first day i drank it, and i don't feel the urge to eat anything else.
The taste reminded me of oven cooked potatoes.
Is there any way to avoid the browning of the juice ?
Salt ?
Ascorbic acid ?

Someone knows how to flavor it ?

jyb

burtlancast said:
Well, i cooked the full juice, together with the starch.

Then i let it separate in the fridge; but each time i touch the surface, the starch at the bottom starts agitating.
[/img]

If you let it separate overnight in the fridge, the starch at the bottom should have settle and be fairly stable. A little bit will agitate and you'll see particles moving as you scoop up the amount you need for that day, but it should be minimal. You wouldn't even notice any volume change of the starch at the bottom by visual inspection.

burtlancast

A quick update:
I've found much easier to first cook the juice together with it's starch, then use a coffee filter to separate it.
When cooked, the starch particles aggregate together and become much bigger.

If i try to separate the starch before cooking the juice, the starch particles are very small and clogg the pores of the coffee filter, and it takes ages to separate ( if at all).

The taste is enhanced a bit by adding salt; but it can be drank without it if ones prefer it that way.

I'm using a two stage process for the juice: first grinding to a paste with the champion juicer, then pressing of the paste in a hydraulic press.

Katty

This might have been addressed somewhat in the other potato protein thread... but couldn't find it. I juiced potatoes yesterday and let it sit for about 24 hrs covered in the fridge. There is a thick layer of starch at the bottom, then a middle later which I believe is the liquid protein, then a small top layer. I think the top layer is another layer of starch. It turned very dark brown. I tried to scoop off the top layer, but some of the dark brown stuff got mixed in to the layer below and there was not way to separate it out. Then I scooped out the liquid into a pot... I think some of the starch from the bottom layer got mixed in, but hopefully not too much. It's on the stove right now-- a top foamy layer started forming. I assumed this was more starch, and I started to try to scoop to off. But it seems the whole things is turning into foam, so can't really scoop any more off or there won't be anything left.

Anyone know what the foamy stuff is?

And seriously, can someone start selling potato protein soup? I probably made about 2 lbs of potatoes and I think it will yield like 2 sips of liquid... 8 lbs of potatoes in theory for about 100g of protein... but if you lose so much with each batch, I'll need to juice about 20 potatoes a day just to get enough.

Edited: I'm adding a picture- this is what it looks like after 40 minutes of cooking. See the clumps? It's all getting clumpy. And it does not smell appetizing. Think it's safe to drink?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 552
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals