Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

tara

I think the idea of the RPPS is to extract the protein and keto-acid rich liquid and discard the starch and fibre, to give high quality protein in a form that is less challenging to sensitive digestive systems.

If you are wanting to eat the starch and/or fibre too, that's up to you, but kind of defeats the point of the protein extraction.

jyb

I recently noticed one can make the protein potato soup by just boiling some finely grated potatoes in a little water. The water becomes gelatinous in texture after just half an hour, similar to the centrifuged pure potato juice right after juicing and before it is left to separate. The less water used, the more gelatinous.

tara

jyb said:
I recently noticed one can make the protein potato soup by just boiling some finely grated potatoes in a little water. The water becomes gelatinous in texture after just half an hour, similar to the centrifuged pure potato juice right after juicing and before it is left to separate. The less water used, the more gelatinous.

I think you might be getting much more of the starch this way? The starch can make it gelatinous, I think? Which is fine unless you are trying specifically to minimise starch (I'm not - I eat potatoes regularly).

narouz

Ismena.D said:

I wouldn't do that, personally.
Peat says the peels contain a substance that is not good to consume--solanine, I think.
I made it with the peels on the first time.
It does make a brown soup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Parsifal said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97643/ Isn't there a lot of solanine in the potato?
There is some solanine in potatoes, and solanine is poisonous in quite small quantities.
But most of the solanine is in the stems, shoots, leaves and any parts of the tubers that have turned green from exposure to sunlight.
Some people are very sensitive to it, and are best off avoiding.
But most people do fine with the tiny bit that remains in the tuber if very careful to avoid any greened ones. The green tastes really terrible, so you'd normally spit out a piece of green potato before you swallowed it. I'm not sure, but there may be a little more solanine in or near the skin. Many here peel their spuds before eating or juicing them.

Parsifal

Thanks! Do they juice it raw? Isn't the starch dangerous (I've not eaten starch since a long time because it gives me mucous in the nose).

tara

Parsifal said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97857/ Thanks! Do they juice it raw? Isn't the starch dangerous (I've not eaten starch since a long time because it gives me mucous in the nose).

Juice it raw, let the starch settle to the bottom of the juice, decant off the liquid and cook it, discard the settled starch. Maybe hard to get rid of all the starch, but you can probably get rid of a lot of it.

Peat's concerns with starch seem to be firstly that raw starch grains can persorb from intestine to blood and cause trouble, and secondly that starch can have a greater effect on insulin levels and blood sugars than sugars that don't break down to just glucose. I think cooking thoroughly alters the starch grains in ways that make them less likely to persorb.

Some people here seem to do fine with starch, others better without. Looks like you've worked out that it's not currently great for you.

Valentino

I just read through this thread and it would appear as though there is some confusion over what the soup should look like once it has been cooked.

Should it be completly clear, or should there be small lumps of scrambled egg type material in it?

It seems as though some people think that anything appearing in the liquid would be starch?
Surely protein would precipitate out of the liquid and form the scrambled egg-type material?

I think that the purpose of the juice is to get the keto-acids, which are not proteins, so I don't know how they would appear when cooked.

I juiced the potatoes, then let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, letting the starch settle, then cooked the juice.
Once it was cooked, there was a clear liquid, with suspended scrambled egg-type material in it. Should this be strained out of the liquid (ie, if it is the starch) or is this the stuff that we actually want?

Philomath

anyone out there making RPPS with sweet potatoes?

raypeatclips

How are you supposed to eat the potato protein soup, does it need to be treated as a "protein" meal and balanced with carbs accordingly, or is it fine to eat on its own? Also, how much of the potato protein soup have people eaten per day?

raypeatclips

I made the RPPPS and it tasted nice. Is the finished boiled product supposed to be a clear liquid, or is there supposed to be some white in it, sort of sediment? I'm guessing that's starch but not sure, I've strained it a lot already.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals