Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

edwardBe

My apologies for the posts on resistant starch. It is definitely not a good idea. RP said that potato starch particles are so small, the size of an RBC that they penetrate the intestinal wall without being digested and accumulate in clumps in various part of our bodies. They can even cross the blood-brain barrier. :shock:

Additionally, it has finally become clear to my feverish little brain that we don't really want to feed any bacteria in our gut, they do fine by themselves.

Once again, my apologies.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Aww shucks. I guess we can forgive you this time. :rolling

No worries edwardBe. Glad to see you got it figured out now. :hattip

Ari

This soup looks very interesting, i'm ready to give it a try, but i'd like to ask some dumb questions first

1. are we getting rid of all the carbohydrates by juicing it? (no starch = no glucose?)
2. do we know the nutritional value of the juice compared to the potato it came from? I like to keep track of calories to make sure I eat enough food daily

Thanks

Btw here is a oddly relaxing video about potato juice (some of the stuff he does is anti-peat I know..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwD9hrNzGBc

seems like potato juice is big in China, I see lots of videos in chinese where they are juicing potatoes

J

j.

Very little is known about the nutritional profile of the potato juice, except that Ray Peat says it's very nutritious and it has keto acids which convert to protein in the body, but under conventional methods of measuring proteins, that isn't detected.

He estimates that 2 pounds of potatoes give you the same amount of proteins as 1 quart of milk.

Ari

Wow that's concentrated.

edit: So that comes out to about 32g of protein. Not bad but hopefully it has some immediately present effects for the amount of work it takes to make.

Cheese seems like a much simpler source of protein for now. I'm thinking that this stuff should be in the same category as gelatin for me to keep making it.

--------------
I just made my first batch of this stuff. Let it settle briefly and then cooked it - got pudding. Gonna let it settle overnight next time in the fridge.

Gonna try eating it now maybe with some OJ and see what happens.

fyo

Its very tasty and satisfying to me, which I take to mean its nutritious.

jyb

It's like a thyroid replacement for me, as I don't respond to thyroid supplements much. It has an immediate effect on heart beat. It's a bit different than coffee though, I think that if I had to, I'd rather have RPPS near bedtime than coffee. That said, I only do it in emergencies or if I have a lot of spare time, so not much recently.

Ari

Ah alright, so its more like a supplement or a medicine. good to know

Rinave

I made my first raw potato soup. I juiced about 10 lbs of potatoes without the skins and then let it settle overnight in the fridge. I spooned part of the top liquid and put salt, then cooked for quite a while.
I would like to know why it turned somewhat bitter, did anybody have this happen? the color is grey.
Maybe my potatoes were not that great? they did look fine and firm. They were the russet type.
Any help from the experience members is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

jyb

The color can turn black, that's normal. A bit of bitterness is in order too, though I never remembered it to be very bitter.

Mittir

@Rinave
RP recommends new potato as those are low in starch.
It turns grey if it is not cooked immediately after juicing.
But i never had bitter tasting potato juice. It is very bland and there
is a slight astringent taste. Most toxic chemicals are concentrated just
below the skin and i remove thick peel to minimize toxins.
Potato skin turns greenish when there is large concentration of
toxins but it can have lots of toxin even without changing color.
You can try cooking the juice just after 10-15 min of sitting,
it does remove most of the starch.

Rinave

@Mittir,
thank you for explaining things, next time I will get the new potato type and peel thickly. Great, I didn't know I could cook after 10-15 minutes after sitting.

lazz

HELP..lol...I put 2 pounds of organic potatos I peeled my self through a bad azz juicer I have..kept the juice and I have it cooking in low heat...so far 10 minutes and it looks thick as hell and kinda burning at the bottom..first time doing this ..shoud I add water or it will liquefy itself after 40 minutes..it looks a like thick white pancake so far..lmao..it does smell delicious though

Philomath

Ari said:
Btw here is a oddly relaxing video about potato juice (some of the stuff he does is anti-peat I know..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwD9hrNzGBc

seems like potato juice is big in China, I see lots of videos in chinese where they are juicing potatoes

Can someone from the forum make a how to video? No matter what I do, I cannot get a "scrambled egg" consistency.

Mittir

Philomath said:
Can someone from the forum make a how to video? No matter what I do, I cannot get a "scrambled egg" consistency.

I have tried potato juice before and it never had "scrambled egg" like consistency.
It is a very soft watery version of scrambled egg. I think RP meant that we
cook the juice as we cook scrambled egg.
I was using the potato juice as the base for soup.
I also remember someone was making omelette by mixing
real egg and potato juice.

Philomath

I just tried again and it came out thicker, almost like a cream sauce. The difference is that instead of straining ALL the starch out, I let it settle then poured the juice in the pan. I would imagine the creaminess is the remaining starch.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals