Mushroom Soup (Ground Mushrooms) Instead Of The Sliced Version?

Logan-

I saw this Ray Peat inspired recipe for mushrooms today.

Her soup recipe took my interest:

My Mushroom Soup Recipe

(based on Jamie Oliver’s The Real Mushroom Soup)

This is a great way to get in a lot in one go. Although you could just eat a bowl of blended and cooked mushroom mush, I personally don’t find that appetising (and food should be delicious, otherwise why bother?!) But when I’ve flavoured the mushrooms up like this, I can’t get enough.

ingredients:
1 kilo (2.2lb) white button mushrooms, washed
1 litre (2 and a bit pints) of water
2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
500ml of homemade / quality gelatinous beef or chicken broth
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
small handful each of thyme and parsley, chopped
1-2 tsp salt
the zest (finely zested with a microplane) and juice of 1 lemon
1 rounded tbsp of mascarpone (or sour cream), and more to serve
white pepper (optional)

method:

Blend the mushrooms and water in a high powered blender (in 2 batches if necessary).

Pour into a heavy based pot, bring to the boil then reduce heat to about medium (turn your range hood fan on).

After at least an hour (stirring occasionally) add 500ml broth. Bring back to the boil and then simmer for another 30 minutes to 1 hour. Add more liquid if it gets too thick for your liking.

Heat coconut oil in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic and a sprinkle of salt. Sauté until softened, add the herbs. Tip all of this into the pot. Add the lemon zest and juice, mascarpone, pepper and a tsp of salt. Stir over low heat for a couple more minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt to taste.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with another dollop of mascarpone. Nice with buttered sourdough toast if that’s your thing.

Ray chatting to Danny Roddy on his podcast ‘Safe Supplements; Generative Energy #31‘:

DR: “can you replace the carrot if you eat mushrooms everyday?”

RP: “yeah I’ve done that; I got tired of carrots after eating one a day for 20 years!”

DR: “would it be risky to replace eggs with mushrooms?”

RP: “mushrooms have really a good broad spectrum nutritional value, but you just have to eat an awful lot of them.”

DR: “how much have you been averaging Ray?”

RP: “sometimes ridiculous amounts … once every week or two we’ll have a big bowl of mushroom soup which is almost like porridge; I think we must eat 8oz (225g) at least each in the soup days, other days much less … like tonight when we’re having liver with mushrooms, probably 4oz (110g) of each.”

I think the soup is good because you get the bone broth and the well cooked mushrooms in one meal, and it tastes quite good. It looks like porridge, so I guess RP is using a similar recipe?

Would the ground and well cooked mushrooms work equally well as the sliced and well cooked version? If I remember correctly, @ecstatichamster is using this method of cooking them. Anyone else?

Last edited:

boris

He says his particular blender is just more suited for blending the cooked mushrooms instead of raw.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals